Defaulted Loan Sold to Arrow DCA - Help!

Hi, would be great for some advice on the below:

• My 9k loan has been sold to Arrow DCA from my original loan provider.
  • The loan was defaulted over 6 years ago and has recently dropped off my credit file.
  • I have been paying Capquest (who were managing this defaulted loan) for over 3 years - £30 each month. (which is right at the top end of what I am able to afford right now and have not yet missed one of these payments)
  • This has been fine - but I recently received a letter stating the loan had now been sold on but I will continue paying to Capquest for the time being.

My questions are as follows:

1. Can the new DCA register to have this put back on my credit file?
2. Are they likely to pursue me more aggressively than my old debtor?
3. Using MSE as my guide I have been using credit card transfers to pay off one remaining credit card debt on 0% interest offers and to try to rebuild my credit history with credit use vs availabity ratios - Question is - if the new DCA runs a report and sees available credit existing - will they see this is as funds available to pay their loan? (Bearing in mind I do not use credit anymore having learned my lesson the hard way) So - should I reduce these limits?

It has been a long struggle to get this far out of my debt, and after many years, I'm slowly getting there - and I have never ran away from them, always paying back what I can afford ... so this is an exhausting and upsetting twist.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received ...

Again, I'm not trying to find a way out of my debt, I thought I was doing well... So I don't want to be plunged back into further misery and worry.

thanks in advance!

Comments

• redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It won't reappear on your credit file.

Capquest is owned by Arrow now, so I suspect you'll still be dealing with Capquest for the foreseeable future, and there is probably no reason for them to change things right now, just a normal review once in a while.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Hi,

No they cannot register this account again on your credit file, if they do, follow there written complaints procedure.

Capquest and Arrow are one and the same.

There are one or two "olde skool" DCA`s who still "plough there own furrow", so to speak, but as a general rule, the debt collection industry now has to tow the FSA line, where affordability is key to any payment arrangement.

Like with any DCA you can request contact in writing only, no phone calls, these days, they pretty much comply with little trouble.

Repaying outstanding debt with further credit is also a big no no.

DCA`s will not accept credit cards in payment of any kind.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Logan99
    Logan99 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi Both, many thanks for the above.

That kind of puts my mind at ease a little as I'm chipping away at it slowly but surely and don't want to go back into tail a spin now that the ship is steadying if you'll forgive the mixed metaphor.

One last question. I'm reasonably sure there isn't equity in my house and if there is it is minimal, but is that a route a DCA could go down?

The reason I ask, and the reason for the fear on receiving the letter, is about eight years ago when I was in the eye of the storm, a DCA, who had purchased a credit card debt of around 3k from Virgin - were very aggressive with me and issued me almost immediately with a CCJ warning and court notice, I ended up paying this back to in full by borrowing money on a credit card. One of the things they threatened me with was the potential of any equity from my house. Naturally my wife freaked out and I did what I had to just get them off my back before any CCJ was registered or court order enforced.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,870 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Logan99 wrote: »
    Hi Both, many thanks for the above.

That kind of puts my mind at ease a little as I'm chipping away at it slowly but surely and don't want to go back into tail a spin now that the ship is steadying if you'll forgive the mixed metaphor.

One last question. I'm reasonably sure there isn't equity in my house and if there is it is minimal, but is that a route a DCA could go down?

The reason I ask, and the reason for the fear on receiving the letter, is about eight years ago when I was in the eye of the storm, a DCA, who had purchased a credit card debt of around 3k from Virgin - were very aggressive with me and issued me almost immediately with a CCJ warning and court notice, I ended up paying this back to in full by borrowing money on a credit card. One of the things they threatened me with was the potential of any equity from my house. Naturally my wife freaked out and I did what I had to just get them off my back before any CCJ was registered or court order enforced.

This was the reason for the FSA crackdown.

They would never get away with that today, they would lose there consumer credit licence.

1st credit were one of the main culprits, they operated under a restricted licence until the FSA were satisfied they were no longer in breach of the regulations.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Logan99
    Logan99 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    HI both,

That's great information to know.

This is a fantastic resource so many thanks for your efforts.:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income