How to get a job after being in prison? Divine intervention?

Options

Comments

• Scuffer
    Scuffer Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Habbakuk wrote: »
    And one other thing Scuffer, most people on here won't have experienced what you have been through and experiencing and likely continue to for years to come; probably for the rest of your life. I would advise you to never reveal as you will just be hanging yourself. You will want to put nice food on the table and find a nice partner and go on holidays and buy nice presents for your kids like other kids have on special occsions and probably one day buy a house. I somehow think that being open about your past will deny you these comforts. It really is in my opinion that difficult. Honesty and openess about your past are mabye not luxuries that you will be able to afford. You will have to try and avoid being in situations where you past will be an issue. Last year the European Court of Human Rights ruled that the UK government was in breach of of some law or other regarding rehabilitation. In response the UK government have made the slightest of changes to the Rehabilitation law. Yet the newspapers such as the Sun tried to make out that burglars would be working in schools and murderers in hospitals etc etc. No such thing. And they also claimed that taking the UK out of the EU will end us being subject to the rulings of the ECHR. They are two separate 'bodies'. So, with the government and the media so hell bent on getting their pound of flesh....don't expect things to change any time soon.
    I feel my problem with finding employment until my mum gave me a job was explaining what i had been doing for the last 2 years. If i can finish my degree, hopefully it would show any future employer that i've been down but made every effort to improve my life. It is scary facing an interview and having to explain being in prison.
    Actions have reactions,
    dont be quick to judge. You may not know the hardships people dont speak of
    Its best to step back, and observe with couth
    For we all must meet our moment of truth

• Scuffer
    Scuffer Posts: 116 Forumite
    Options
    Just a little update on what has happened since.

Its been a real lift being a part of my family again and now having spoke to them, i now see why they acted the way they did. My mum especially was quite hurt by me being in prison. We have always been pretty close and what made her angry was me not asking for their help when i needed it and finding out i was in prison from people gossiping about it and not from me directly. I cant turn back time to rectify my mistakes, but they know i'm genuinely sorry for what i did. This all now has to be put in the past and now i've got a job and support whenever i need it, i can now really start rebuilding my life. It is going to be a long road ahead of me, but i've fought through the worst i could face and if i managed to survive all this then i can survive through anything else life wishes to throw at me.

I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me here as well, i know i've said it before but i do appreciate this so much. It was a real morale boost for me :)
    Actions have reactions,
    dont be quick to judge. You may not know the hardships people dont speak of
    Its best to step back, and observe with couth
    For we all must meet our moment of truth

• busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh wow Scuffer, I've just caught up with your thread. Talk about ups and downs waiting to read your next post to find out how you were doing. I was gutted that you didn't get kept on after your four week trial but am sooooo pleased you have got your family back and they are supportive.

I wish you so much luck for the future, I have a feeling you will go far :)

Don't ever give up, you come across as a lovely fella and deserve things to go your way.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Scuffer, work hard, good things will come, I promise

Don't get anything without hard work
  • tomterm8
    tomterm8 Posts: 5,892 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Scuffer wrote: »
    Can either of you tell me more about open university degrees, like how long they take and do employers see them the same as university degrees.

Who are distance?

Just found multi-quote, what a neat tool that is :)

Since you've already been at university it is highly likely that you will already have some CATs points; indeed, if you finished any years you will already have enough points to get either a certificate of higher education if you passed the first year OR a HND equivalent qualification if you did two years. It's worth talking to your original university.

The CATs points will shorten the time needed to do a degree, and it may only take one or years to get one on the OU. You should contact the OU to ask.

When I interviewed people for jobs as an employer I rated people with OU degrees very highly indeed; more highly than people with most ordinary degrees. The amount of commitment to get one is much higher IMHO. It's much easier to get a full time degree than a part time one.

Employers vary, but I've never met one who didn't look favorably on someone taking steps to improve their life.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the first job. There will be others, though. :Shrug:
    “The ideas of debtor and creditor as to what constitutes a good time never coincide.”
    ― P.G. Wodehouse, Love Among the Chickens
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Just a little update on what has happened since.

Its been a real lift being a part of my family again and now having spoke to them, i now see why they acted the way they did. My mum especially was quite hurt by me being in prison. We have always been pretty close and what made her angry was me not asking for their help when i needed it and finding out i was in prison from people gossiping about it and not from me directly. I cant turn back time to rectify my mistakes, but they know i'm genuinely sorry for what i did. This all now has to be put in the past and now i've got a job and support whenever i need it, i can now really start rebuilding my life. It is going to be a long road ahead of me, but i've fought through the worst i could face and if i managed to survive all this then i can survive through anything else life wishes to throw at me.

I would also like to thank everyone who has supported me here as well, i know i've said it before but i do appreciate this so much. It was a real morale boost for me :)

So glad to hear that x
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Scuffer321
    Options
    Just over 2 years ago i was sent to prison for 43 months whilst i was in my final year at university. I served 22 months of that sentence and now i'm out i am finding it impossible to get a job. I have applied for hundreds of jobs in the past 2 months and had i think about 47 interviews now and have not been successful in any. I cant even get a job as a bathroom attendant :( I've applied for literally everything on the market and nobody will employ me because of just being released from prison.

I just feel like i have nothing any more, i lost my university degree and my family who are ashamed of me. My auntie is the only one who took me in and this is because she pities me. The probation service are useless and offer no help at all other than telling me to sign on which i'm not going to do as i feel i've cost the tax payer enough money by being in prison. There is just nothing for me and i'm just hoping someone who reads this can relate and give me some inspiration because right now i have given up hope.
    Hello everyone,

I have spent the last hour reading through all the posts I made on the forum, and I find it strange reading it. From how I feel now compared to how I was when I wrote that, shows how far I have come. That was me at breaking point. The support from people here really did help me, this forum gave me a place to talk in confidence and all the advice is so kind. Knowing how much random internet people helped me, has restored my faith in humanity.

The reason I came back, is to update you all. It has been a long time since I came here but I hope you understand that I needed to focus 100% on fixing my life. I managed to get back in to university to finish my degree and I'm proud to say that I graduated yesterday with a 2.1. My journey towards recovery started here and I must thank everyone for all the suport you gave me.

And I'm using a new account due to forgetting the email and pw to my Scuffer account. I remember changing them both after being hounded by that troll and worrying about getting hacked. I'm the real Scuffer, I'm sure Ampersand will back that up by me talking about not knowing what a p/c was and others I told that Scuffer was a nickname given to me by my mum from my childhood when I used to leave scuff marks everywhere.

Thank you all, take care and I appreciate everything you all did for me :)
  • Elfbert
    Elfbert Posts: 578 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Congratulations on your 2.1 - that's brilliant! And it's great you came back to update. You never know who will come and read this in the future in a similar situation and take away a lot of hope after reading your posts here.

Best of luck for the future.
    Mortgage - £[STRIKE]68,000 may 2014[/STRIKE] 45,680.
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    Really pleased to hear of your success.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • youngbuck2
    youngbuck2 Posts: 134 Forumite
    Options
    :beer:

Well done, I really mean that. I'm really happy for you, not only did you finish your degree you achieved a 2:1!

Perhaps you can use your uni lecturers/tutors etc to provide you with a reference, that way you have a recent reference and can easily account for your prison years as doing something else (travelling abroad etc).

The good thing is you have a degree and most likely a recent reference now. I think your future is looking far brighter than it did a year ago. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure