PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Does a downstairs bathroom increase value of your property

2»

Comments

• If you have a 3 bed semi then I will assume you already have an upstairs bathroom.

A second bathroom downstairs will probably not increase the value but a downstairs cloakroom could do so slightly as long as it is in a sensible, easily accessible place and not in an understairs cupboard where you have to be under 3' 6" and a size zero to be able to use it.

If you have room downstairs to put in a bathroom, it would be preferable to make it a playroom, family den or some such additional living area.
  • Thanks for all of your responses,

I suppose it is a bonus to prospective buyers and yes ultimately it would be up to the buyer to decide whether it my house would be worth whatever the asking price would be down the line.

But say I had just a bathroom upstairs with toilet and shower. The estate agent came and valued my house for £100k (for arguments sake).

Now If that estate agent came and valued my house with the extra toilet downstairs would he automatically tick an extra box and then get a better valuation say an extra 5k or so?
  • gemini24 wrote: »
    If you have a 3 bed semi then I will assume you already have an upstairs bathroom.

A second bathroom downstairs will probably not increase the value but a downstairs cloakroom could do so slightly as long as it is in a sensible, easily accessible place and not in an understairs cupboard where you have to be under 3' 6" and a size zero to be able to use it.

If you have room downstairs to put in a bathroom, it would be preferable to make it a playroom, family den or some such additional living area.

A good sized cloakroom I would say.
  • Hopejack
    Hopejack Posts: 507 Forumite
    Why don't you ring an estate agent and ask them hypothetically? I had plans of changing the layout of my house a few years back and rang some agents to ask them what they thought it would add value wise.... It's worth a go.
  • pramsay13
    pramsay13 Posts: 1,943 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Grolsch30 wrote: »
    Now If that estate agent came and valued my house with the extra toilet downstairs would he automatically tick an extra box and then get a better valuation say an extra 5k or so?

No he would just pick a number out of thin air in the hope that you ask him to sell it for you and then drop his price because it's not selling.:(

Seriously though I don't think it quite as prescriptive as that. I think they will look at overall size, layout, fittings, location etc and give you an overall price.
  • Forget the £5K. If you and your neighbour had your houses for sale and each was in identical condition to the other but yours had the downstairs loo and theirs didn't, yours would be first choice if priced identically.

If your house was £5K more, dependent on the purchaser and their requirements, you may not be favourite.
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    If you have a three bedroom semi with a toilet and shower then your plumbing budget needs to be spent on fitting a bath not a second toilet - see the other thread on this exact subject. As others have alluded to no a second toilet does not automatically confer a 5K prize, in fact it could lose you money or buyers if it is poorly located.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • SUESMITH_2
    SUESMITH_2 Posts: 2,093 Forumite
    might not increase the value but it would increase the sellability but i wouldn't even look at your houseif it didnt have a bath, as with a family that's vital
    'We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport