Dominos pizza drivers wage??

2»

Comments

• paulwf
    paulwf Posts: 3,269 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2010 at 7:08AM
    Lokolo wrote: »
    I don't think thats the point, as I could work for a week without doing deliveries and get paid under minimum wage.

They are perfectly entitled to pay whatever hourly rate and whatever productivity based rate they wish as long as these are topped up to meet min wage if they fall short. Therefore if the theoretical case of sitting there with no deliveries all week happened the company would just have to top it up to min wage.

Generally the criteria for meeting min wage is set by the pay period. So for example if you get paid weekly you might get one quiet night and fall below min wage but if the next night is super busy and you're average is above min wage the company is covered. You would have to check with the NMW hotline to confirm this though as half fixed pay and half productivity might complicate things, but I know for purely productivity pay it's based on pay period.

Its the same with being a waitor, I thought it was illegal to make up the minimum wage through tips.

Same problem surely?

No, pay for waiters is a special case. Customers intended tips to be a perk for waiters but they were being used as basic wages so eventually the law was changed. In the case of pizza delivery tips from customers aren't being included in the wage, the pizza company is paying the delivery bonus.

BTW whenever pizza delivery threads crop up the general theme seems to be that all the stop start short journeys on residential roads trashes the car. I'd imagine by the time car running costs are factored in it's pretty much a min wage job.
  • Kate78
    Kate78 Posts: 525 Forumite
    edited 11 May 2010 at 10:45AM
    Full adult minimum wage is £5.80 per hour (aged 22+)
    Development Rate is £4.83 ph (aged 18 to day before 22nd birthday)
    Young Workers £3.57 ph (16 until day before 18th birthday)

The work rights helpline number is 0800 917 23 68 and they are the best place to start with minimum wage queries.
    Barclaycard 0% - [STRIKE]£1688.37 [/STRIKE] Paid off 10.06.12
  • Faz
    Faz Posts: 107
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Something to bear in mind if you're using your own vehicle when delivering is the wear and tear on your car. It's okay to think that you're getting 80p per delivery on top of your hourly rate.. however, what is that 80p having to cover? Fuel? Vehicle depreciation? Tyres/brakes/oil? If you get a puncture or your clutch breaks, is that coming out of your pocket?

(I worked at pizza hut delivering pizza's for many years whilst a student, so I'm speaking from experience).
  • This is something I have been seriously considering doing for a while - what are the realistic earnings you can make a night and what hours would be needed to earn that?

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, if it helps I am based in the northwest. I know wear and tear of the car and fuel is something which needs to be calculated, however it is an old banger and I have my parents van as a backup...
    £4142.49/ £131,795.91 - 3.14% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: #182 £1955.38/£4435.51 (44.08%)
    MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
    Current Balance: £106600.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
  • Faz
    Faz Posts: 107
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This is something I have been seriously considering doing for a while - what are the realistic earnings you can make a night and what hours would be needed to earn that?

I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question, if it helps I am based in the northwest. I know wear and tear of the car and fuel is something which needs to be calculated, however it is an old banger and I have my parents van as a backup...

Based on my previous experiences:

I would do around 5 deliveries per hour, 5 x 80p = £4.00. Some were greater distance, paying £1.60 per delivery. If I average this, I get around £6 per hour in 'commission' as it was called. If I assume £3 goes on fuel and £1 in car wear/tear, this leaves £2/hour profit.

Add on the hourly rate (minimum wage?) gives approx £7 an hour. My tips after a 5 hour shift were on average £3-10 in total.

So to conclude, a 5 hour shift would have made me about £38-45 in my pocket.

Hope that helps. :)
  • Hi Faz,

Thank you for the great information there - can I ask what car you drove to keep the fuel costs down - I assume a diesel?
    £4142.49/ £131,795.91 - 3.14% paid off or only £129,608.80 to go!
    Debt free by Xmas 2015: #182 £1955.38/£4435.51 (44.08%)
    MFW: Opening Balance: £108,297.91 Original MF Date: June 2042
    Current Balance: £106600.27 Estimated MF Date: Dec 2033
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills