Electric Central Heating (NOT Night Storage)

Has anyone used or have running costs for the above using E7. It is a small electric boiler that is used to heat normal radiators eg Aztec Classic 9kw http://www.trianco.co.uk/aztec_classic.cfm

I am seriously thinking of changing from Night Storage to the above. The plumber suggest it is same running costs as NS. To heat from cold would be
9 x say 12p /hour wich is expensive. Appreciate would be cheaper for couple of hours first thing in morning at cheap rate but in evening you would use
peak rate. (also have wood burner for living room) . Out all day m - f.
As with other posts NS is useless in the evenings.

Suppliers and manufacturers seem only to quote the obvious of how much it costs to heat up but not give comparisons for average say typical 2/3 bed semi.

Comments

• peat
    peat Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I think that if you propose to go over to wet electric central heating it will only be economical if you live in an area where you can get the economy 10 tariff. This gives 10 hours of cheap electricity in three tranches - early morning, midday and late evening. I have just put in a wet electric system but have yet to go through a winter so I can not really verify running costs.
    Things are looking reasonably promising at this stage though.
  • peat wrote:
    I think that if you propose to go over to wet electric central heating it will only be economical if you live in an area where you can get the economy 10 tariff. This gives 10 hours of cheap electricity in three tranches - early morning, midday and late evening. I have just put in a wet electric system but have yet to go through a winter so I can not really verify running costs.
    Things are looking reasonably promising at this stage though.

Many thanks for info. I did try converting to E10 over a year ago but S.Elecrtric and Npower would not convert who I was led to believe were the only providers. I have now just signed up with Scot Hydro. So even if I decide not to convert I will be better off with evening heating times etc.
    Could you give me some ideal of your system and how long it takes to heat up some radiators etc - appreciate you may not yet have on full blast. You can contact me through private e-mail if you wish.
  • Hope you don't mind me contacting you. I have E10 wet central heating system but found there is a mismatch between the boiler switching times and the meter switching. The teleswitch which controls the boiler operates on GMT and the meter changes as the clocks go forward and back so operates half the year on GMT and half on BST. This means during the BST period in effect we only get 7 hours at off peak rate and the boiler is switched on for 3 hours at full rate. Just wondered if you have experienced this problem. Thanks Marilyn
  • peat
    Davidrt, because I use a thermal store system as described in the info that I pm'd you, there is always a store of hot water so you can have heat in your radiators almost immediately.
    Cambellme, can you not alter the settings on your boiler? I have a timer which I have set so that the boiler only comes on during the three off-peak tranches. There are also controlls to set to when I want the central heating pump to come on and off to suit our lifestyle.
  • Hi folks

I live in a flat in Glasgow and currently use an electric immersion to heat my water, and storage heaters to heat my flat. I've tried to email one of the local suppliers about this, just to see what their thoughts are, as I'd like to move away from the storage heaters. This is due to the fact that a majority of the heat seems to get used when I'm at work (9am-5:30pm), with the added fact that they look a bit old fashioned. Unfortunately, the local business never got back to me.

Have any of you got any advice in changing over from Storage Heaters to real radiators? One of my pals has just bought a new flat, and all his heaters are electric, but they don't facilitate Economy 7 or the like.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards
    Tasman
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • peat
    see this thread

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=3152887#post3152887
    also this info that Ipm,d another member

I have opted for a thermal store system which works the reverse of conventional systems in that the radiators and electric heater and thermal store are directly connected. Whereas the hot water is supplied from a cold water feed and goes through a heat exchanger within the thermal store. See the thermal store system here but I use a 12kw electric boiler rather than gas.
    http://www.cda.org.uk/Megab2/build/h...s/domestic.htm
    Trying to convince tradesmen to install this system is a bit of a nightmare though "It'll never work"etc.
    And bear in mind the caveat that I have yet to go through a winter, this is all a bit of an experiment on my part.
  • peat wrote:
    see this thread

I have opted for a thermal store system which works the reverse of conventional systems in that the radiators and electric heater and thermal store are directly connected. Whereas the hot water is supplied from a cold water feed and goes through a heat exchanger within the thermal store. See the thermal store system here but I use a 12kw electric boiler rather than gas.
    Trying to convince tradesmen to install this system is a bit of a nightmare though "It'll never work"etc.
    And bear in mind the caveat that I have yet to go through a winter, this is all a bit of an experiment on my part.

Peat - Just wondered how you've been getting on with your new system?
    Cheers
    Tasman
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • peat
    The system is going ok. Last bill for Oct-Jan was £352. There are short periods during the peak electricity times when the stored hot water has mostly been used prior to the water being heated again at off-peak times. At these times the rads are warm rather than hot but room temp does not fall below 18 degrees so I'm happy to live with this rather than turn the boiler on at peak times ( I'm too miserable).
    Had a problem with the boiler tripping out but Heatrae Sadia sent an engineer who deduced that it was due to fluctuations in my electricity supply and added a capacitor to the boiler which seems to have sorted the problem.
  • peat
    The "cold" spells are because I have used the heat that was stored in the thermal store, it could be boosted by using a bit of peak price electricity but I choose not to. The stored water does not go anywhere - the temperature reduces as the heat is radiated off via the radiators or used to heat water for washing etc. The speed at which the temperature reduces will depend on the demand which will be affected by your lifestyle and the weather and the efficiency of the buildings insulation.
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    peat wrote: »
    see this thread

Hi Peat,

the second link that you provide doesn't seem to work for me :( Could you post it again please?

Also, now you've had a winter with your electric wet system, how do you think that it compares to night storage heaters?

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport