Which mattress? (merged threads)

Comments

• raymond
    raymond Posts: 465 Forumite
    THere are so many posts here its hard to remember who posted what, but for the person in NI looking a mattress I was in Harvey Norman this afternoon and saw they have 25% off mattresses and beds which is finishing soon to be replaced with an interest free credit offer but there was a budget mattress for under £300 800 springs pocket sprung 70mm memory foam (one side only ...) but was actually quite comfortable if your budget is low its better than many cheapies I have seen.

I think its the same mattress as http://www.bedsdirect.com/product/Viscount_Memory_800-18677

Worth a look for someone maybe ?

Edit .. its £284.25 and I think the 2.5% vat needs to be taken off as well.
  • alictait
    alictait Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Guys,

Well I eventually took the plunge and ordered a new memory foam mattress and thought I would give my review so far on my purchase.

I was quite prepared to pay a decent amount of money on a mattress alone and had intended to initially buy the La Romantica Madrid from Bedlum Beds, however the lack of a firm delivery date was not something I could really work around so decided to look elsewhere.

Some of you may remember that I posted the link to the Ergoflex sale which I thought looked a pretty decent deal, however after posting on here and listening to you guys I came to the conclusion that the reviews we were finding for Ergoflex seemed too good to be true and indeed the fact that the review site was set up at the same time as the Ergoflex site just seemed to coincidental. Also the guarantee that they offered seemed to throw some quality issues into the equation as well.

So I thought I would try and have a look on ebay at the Memory Foam options available to me. The choice there is vast and indeed a minefield to the unprepared, but at least I had an idea what to look for /wanted.

I stumbled across a company called Intellifoam that manufacture two grades of memory foam both which would go against the general recommendation on this thread. The cheaper "deluxe" option is a 10" Mattress with 3" of 65kgm3 Density Memory foam, combined with 7 " of 35kgm3 base foam and their 10" premium mattress is 4" of 88kgm3 memory foam and 6" 35kgm3 base foam. Both mattresses also come with two free pillows. The main clincher for me was the 15 yr guarantee, 10 yr unconditional replacement with the further 5 years on inspection only.

Although already very competitive prices I managed to snag a bargain via auction -£169 delivered for a superking deluxe (which is the cheapest I have seen since - lol). I thought at this price that I was prepared to take the chance on having to replace it in a couple of years, although the guarantee sounds brilliant on paper getting them to honour it may be a different issue. Anyway after a weeks use we love it. We previously had a 2" topper with a reflex foam mattress and I think the extra 1" makes a big difference to us. The mattress feels nice and firm which we both like, it is def a lot better quality than our sleep secrets topper. The pillows are also very good and certainly comparable (initially at least) to the tempur pillows we bought about 18 mths ago, which have lost some of their shape in the process.

All in all I feel like we have ended up with a real bargain and although it may differ from the recommended 2" thickness of 60 - 70 Kgm3 density memory foam, we are more than happy with it. We have tried lots of mattresses in the last year and even sent one pocket sprung memory foam mattress back to a retailer after we felt it was too soft so we are just glad that we have found something that suits us.

Hope this helps some decide.
    If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried.
  • alictait wrote: »
    I stumbled across a company called Intellifoam that manufacture two grades of memory foam both which would go against the general recommendation on this thread. The cheaper "deluxe" option is a 10" Mattress with 3" of 65kgm3 Density Memory foam, combined with 7 " of 35kgm3 base foam and their 10" premium mattress is 4" of 88kgm3 memory foam and 6" 35kgm3 base foam. Both mattresses also come with two free pillows. The main clincher for me was the 15 yr guarantee, 10 yr unconditional replacement with the further 5 years on inspection only.

I hope you keep the contact details for this company safe - my colleague bought one of these intellifoam, all foam matresses and within a year the base foam was sagging so much it hurt to lay on. With lots of aruguing the matress was replaced, however she fully expects the same to happen with this one within a year, so a pretty pointless guarantee as they will not refund (even thought not fit for purpose), only replace! She also moans that she sinks far too far into the mattress (she's not even heavy!)

Good luck! Matt.
  • alictait
    alictait Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I hope you keep the contact details for this company safe - my colleague bought one of these intellifoam, all foam matresses and within a year the base foam was sagging so much it hurt to lay on. With lots of aruguing the matress was replaced, however she fully expects the same to happen with this one within a year, so a pretty pointless guarantee as they will not refund (even thought not fit for purpose), only replace! She also moans that she sinks far too far into the mattress (she's not even heavy!)

Good luck! Matt.

Cheers Matt - lol

Yeah I have all the auction info saved on a word doc, As I said in my own review the guarantee may be difficult to claim against but I still think with the price we paid it was worth the risk. Was it actually the exact same people they bought from ?

Ali
    If at first you don't succeed - destroy all evidence that you tried.
  • Hi Tim, finally got a reply after my very strongly worded email stating the law etc (Im a law student). This is their reply

We have passed this our to replacements department who are currently looking into this.

We will contact you at some point this week once the suppliers have confirmed what we can do for you.

Will have to see what happens next, im not optimistic - they never answer the phone either
    :beer: If I say something you like....Please hit the thanks button :beer:
  • Wondering about the La Romantica Madrid. Most of the poscket sprung memory foam mattresses I`ve seen have had a flat surface but I notice the Madrid has indents (are these tufts?). I love the feel of memory foam mattresses when I on them because I can feel my body gradually sinking into them. My only concern with the Madrid is that I wouldn`t get this sensation because of the indents.

In addition, I don`t understand why the Madrid has to have tufts. Are they there to keep the pocket springs in place? If so, why do all the rest of the pocket sprung memory foam beds no have them?
  • povster
    povster Posts: 17 Forumite
    Hi Tim
    Please could I have your opinion on the two following mattresses: this is what I have narrowed it down to and as much as I can afford.

Millbrook Allure (1023 springs) and a 30mm layer of visco55kg mem foam £375
    Sleepeezee pocket visco (1400 spings) 47mm layer of visco55kg mem foam £342

I realise Millbrook is a better quality make but I wondered wether the depth in memory foam would win over this? I also like the htought of more springs as I dont want a firm mattress.

Your opinion will be much appreciated
    Thanks
  • TomsMom wrote: »

Yes, I clicked on the links Wannagetfit. In the spec it said "2 sided".

ETA: Sorry, I replied before reading your second post. This is the link for the Body Impressions - on right hand side is says "Pillow Top/Sprung and Foam/Two sided". And this one for the Joseph, this one for Hush. Once I got onto that site I just clicked on "Sprung and memory foam mattresses" and checked a few.

TomsMom,

You are a STAR !!! Thanks very much. I don't know how I couldn't find those.
    Did you find anymore by any chance?? Could you?? haha

Tim,

Well, what can I say. You were right. Sorry for doubting you. Fair play to you for not giving out brand names etc, it must be hard. Its very frustrating for us I can tell you. Anyway, keep up the good work.
    Can you tell me your opinion on the following mattresses.

http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/Body_Impressions_Roma_Pocket_Sprung_700_Mattress.htm

http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/Joseph_Memory_Tuft_Eclipse_Pocket_Mattress.htm

http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/Hush_Empress_1000_Visco_Mattress.htm

What do you think of the prices for the kingsize?
  • Is theratouch memory foam any good? Is it brand name or is it a type of foam? Is it visco elastic?
  • How about these mattresses Tim ??

http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/MemoryPedic_Bliss_Pocket_Mattress.htm
    http://www.mattressesworld.co.uk/p/DreamNight_Memory_700_Pocket_Mattress.htm

Suddenly there are loads of 2 sided memory foam pocket sprung mattresses !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure