ESA and Dental Care!

Hello,

I am in need of some help and advice, hoping that you might be able to clear up a worry I have. I currently receive Employment and Support Allowance and have a dental appointment next week. I've tried to contact a benefits shop for the past two days without any luck (always busy, due to having one phone) and I am unable to get down their without help from my family (I have rheumatoid arthritis and struggle to walk, that and my grandfather as recently had a stroke so the family have barely been available for understandable reasons). So this seemed the next best place for help.

Next week I have a dental appointment and was recently told that it's possible to get dental check-ups free when your on employment and support allowance. Is this true? And if so what is required of me to confirm that I am receiving this benefit to the dental practice?

One other small thing, my rheumatologist told me at my last appointment that I need to have eye tests again at an opticians. I'm guessing that these are not covered in anyway, but some clarification would be welcomed.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated. :)

Comments

• rogerblack
    rogerblack Posts: 9,446 Forumite
    SaitenMar wrote: »
    Hello,

I am in need of some help and advice, hoping that you might be able to clear up a worry I have. I currently receive Employment and Support Allowance and have a dental appointment next week

If you are on income-related employment and support allowance, dental treatment is free.
    (within what the NHS covers).
    Similarly, some opticians offer free eye tests - I got one at specsavers - and am entitled to help with glasses costs too.
    Contributory ESA does not entitle you to help.
    Though you may be entitled due to low income.
  • CouponWoman
    CouponWoman Posts: 6,065 Forumite
    SaitenMar wrote: »
    Hello,

I am in need of some help and advice, hoping that you might be able to clear up a worry I have. I currently receive Employment and Support Allowance and have a dental appointment next week. I've tried to contact a benefits shop for the past two days without any luck (always busy, due to having one phone) and I am unable to get down their without help from my family (I have rheumatoid arthritis and struggle to walk, that and my grandfather as recently had a stroke so the family have barely been available for understandable reasons). So this seemed the next best place for help.

Next week I have a dental appointment and was recently told that it's possible to get dental check-ups free when your on employment and support allowance. Is this true? And if so what is required of me to confirm that I am receiving this benefit to the dental practice?

One other small thing, my rheumatologist told me at my last appointment that I need to have eye tests again at an opticians. I'm guessing that these are not covered in anyway, but some clarification would be welcomed.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated. :)

Free dental check ups and treatment etc are only free to people on income based esa, this is similar to income support as its purely based on your income.

Contribution based esa is based on national insurance contributions and has no income related part to it therefore you cannot automatically get free health benefits.

You would need to get a form from the chemist and complete it and see if you can qualify. To get free health benefits you would need to have completed the form and got a certificate of entitlment before your dental appointment.

Best check your entitlement to see if you qualify first.
  • SaitenMar
    SaitenMar Posts: 43
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Thanks for the quick replies. I'm finding this all so confusing!

I rang up the dentist and got an helpful assistant who explained that all I need to bring is prove that I'm receiving the benefit. As in a letter or other form of prove. She wasn't at all sure about a certificate of sorts and said that they simply need prove. That said I believe a form as to be signed at the time by me.

I suspect I'm worrying about all this more then I should be, and it's probably pretty simple.

Thanks for your help.
  • yappycat
    yappycat Posts: 67 Forumite
    Be careful here, you must be getting Income Based ESA to qualify for free NHS dental treatment (and make sure it is NHS, private treatment is not covered). If it is later found that you claimed free treatment and you're actually receiving Contributions Based ESA then it will be you who is liable NOT the dental practice.
    From working for the NHS BSA I know that a lot of dental practice staff are not really clued up on the differences in entitlement income and contribution based benefits afford.
    First check with your benefits agency on which type of ESA you are getting, if you can't get in touch with them go back through your old paperwork, it should say on your benefit notification letter which type you get.
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you had been working and claiming WTC - this would have entitled you to free dental treatment

This - I have always thought is wrong - since not only does the recipient gain from WTC but also free treatment...
  • nad1611
    nad1611 Posts: 710 Forumite
    21Twinkle wrote: »
    If you had been working and claiming WTC - this would have entitled you to free dental treatment

Receiving WTC doesn't automatically entitle you to Free Dental Treatment. Your income needs to be below about £15500 pa and your name is on a valid tax credit exemption certificate, they would send you this cerificate automatically.
    In regard to ESA yes only the Income Based Allowance would apply and you should be able to see that on your Award Notice. As said don't go by what your Dental Assistant says as they don't always know.
  • MrsManda
    MrsManda Posts: 4,457 Forumite
    As nad said, if you're claiming tax credits and are eligible for help with health costs on that basis you will have been sent an exemption certificate automatically.
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1040.aspx

If you are on certain income assessed benefits, including Income Based ESA then you'll also qualify for free dental
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/HealthCosts/1976.aspx

Otherwise it'll depend on whether you are eligible under the NHS low income scheme
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1125.aspx

or qualify under the maternity rules
    http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/1039.aspx
  • Ellie2758
    Ellie2758 Posts: 2,848
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Please can somebody tell me whether the position on this has altered since a year ago? Is it still income-based ESA only that qualifies one for Free Eye test and free dental treatment? Both opticians and dental practices seem at odds with this. Some say yes, some say no. Nightmare one doesnt need with everything else to contend with!! :mad:
    Ellie :cool:

"man is born free but everywhere he is in chains"
    J-J Rousseau
  • mynameistallulah
    mynameistallulah Posts: 2,238 Forumite
    Ellie2758 wrote: »
    Please can somebody tell me whether the position on this has altered since a year ago? Is it still income-based ESA only that qualifies one for Free Eye test and free dental treatment? Both opticians and dental practices seem at odds with this. Some say yes, some say no. Nightmare one doesnt need with everything else to contend with!! :mad:

That is correct - income based ESA qualifies for free NHS treatment, conts based does not.
  • cit_k
    cit_k Posts: 24,812 Forumite
    Its odd how income based ESA gives free dental - but income based IB does not, unfortunate to as I have a load of dental work coming up..
    [greenhighlight]but it matters when the most senior politician in the land is happy to use language and examples that are simply not true.
    [/greenhighlight][redtitle]
    The impact of this is to stigmatise people on benefits,
    and we should be deeply worried about that
    [/redtitle](house of lords debate, talking about Cameron)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure