Ccj

Options
Hi

Another one from me I'm afraid...

I have a four year old CCJ and obviously I'll declare that as an outgoing/debt on the BR form but is there anything else I need to do - like tell the court that issued it?

Thanks

Comments

• ToxtethO'Grady
    Options
    Not the court but the creditor or DCA that is managing it that you are BR - give your BR number and they will check the insolvency register. Keep up the payments until then or ask if they will allow you to reduce it, they'll probably want an up to date income and expenditure before doing that.

If they refuse,and you really could use the money that you are paying them,you can use an N245 form to vary it and be sure to see if you qualify not to pay the fee for varying it. It's usually £50 but if you are on benefits or on a low income you can go to https://www.gov.uk/get-help-with-court-fees to see if you are eligible.
  • menageamoi
    Options
    Thanks - that's helpful. On one level I'm sure it's an ongoing expense that the OR will allow me - but as the full debt is now attached to the house that I can no longer afford ( hence bankruptcy) I guess it emerge when the Building Society goes for repossession.
  • ToxtethO'Grady
    Options
    Oh is it a charge on the property? If the court set an installment for the charge you can get that varied by the N245 as well. And if the house is going to be repossessed it will go in to the BR. It may not be worth much for them unless there's a lot of equity in the house, which doesn't sound likely from what you've written.

How much equity is there? If any?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Its my understanding that CCJ`s are over turned when you become bankrupt, and you do not need to continue paying them.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • menageamoi
    Options
    Thanks - oh yes - negative equity on the house far more than the charged loan that I've got he CCJ for! I think I'll put it down on the form as a cost and as a debt and explain to the OR in the interview what I've done
  • ToxtethO'Grady
    Options
    If the house is repossessed it will go in to the BR then, don't worry about it, they will be paid after your mortgage provider anyway so I don't think they'll go for an order for sale due to you not paying it until you go BR. Their costs would be included in the BR if they did.
    Explain to them if you want but it really is up to you. Use the money you are paying them to cover your fee and get your application submitted.
  • ToxtethO'Grady
    Options
    It's a charging order, it's a secured debt, so could still be enforced after the BR if the OP was going to stay in the house. But the OP has said they're looking at repossessions it will not be secured after that so included in the BR.
  • Samsung_Note2
    Options
    Dont assume the house being taken off you is certain..when we went bankrupt the OR was given 3 house valuations and all were pretty much for what was owed on mortgage.

So OR said he wasn't interested and Mortgage company said as long as mortgage was paid they were happy for us to stay.

Seven years on and we still have the house and £75000 ish equity.

You never know whats going to happen..its not always as bad as you assume.
  • menageamoi
    Options
    Thanks - that's reassuring
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills