IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

PAID parking ticket

Options
Hi everyone, i was given a parking fine from 'Smart parking Ltd' i did infact buy a ticket and do still have the ticket as evidence. Anyway when i appealed it they told me i had put 'YF' as the start of my registration plate instead of 'FY' so the appeal was declined, they then put up my fine to £160 and have sent a letter saying if i dont pay before the 12.10.2017 they are taking me to court, i am a student and cant find this money out of the blue for a parking ticket i paid for! What should i do? Thanks in advance 😊

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Are you sure that is what this letter says?!

Everyone is politely asked to read up the Newbies faq thread near the top of the forum before starting a new thread.

Go there now to familiarise yourself with the game you are now caught up in.

Come back if you need more help - but do read up first
  • Emrose199
    Options
    Hello thankyou for your response! It is correct what the letter says however i did read up on tge newbies FAQ's, should i send the parking company an email with that template? Thankyou
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Did you get a POPLA code?
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    Emrose199 wrote: »
    Hello thankyou for your response! It is correct what the letter says however i did read up on tge newbies FAQ's, should i send the parking company an email with that template? Thankyou
    If this is a proper letter before court action then read up on how to deal with this (in the FAQ)
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    what date was the contravention ?

when you sent in the initial appeal that they declined , did they issue a popla code ?

if they did issue a popla code , when was the date issued ?

this latest letter sounds like a DRP letter , which can and should be ignored if that is all it is

keep the paid for ticket as proof of purchase if not so SMART are daft enough to issue an MCOL
  • Fruitcake
    Fruitcake Posts: 58,231 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Are you really sure? I am sure the letter won't have used the word "fine". As already mentioned, this sounds like a debt collector letter as the scammers can only pursue the original charge of £100. Who does the letter tell you to pay?

If you have already appealed then you can't appeal again so no you can't send an email with the BPA template.

It's a shame you gave away the driver's identity as the keeper no longer has the protection of the Protection of Freedom Act.

Please answer the question about the PoPLA code.
    I married my cousin. I had to...
    I don't have a sister. :D
    All my screwdrivers are cordless.
    "You're Safety Is My Primary Concern Dear" - Laks
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,033 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 October 2017 at 7:04PM
    Options
    they told me i had put 'YF' as the start of my registration plate instead of 'FY'

If THEY told YOU that I would think a judge would take a dim view of them if they chanced a court claim.

Though that would be unlikely by their current statistics:

http://www.bmpa.eu/companydata/Smart_Parking.html
    they then put up my fine to £160 and have sent a letter saying if i dont pay before the 12.10.2017 they are taking me to court

I don't think that is correct now is it?

1 They can't just trump the charge up to beyond the PCN value.

2 They will not have used the word "fine" as it isn't, and they would be in trouble if they said it was.

3 I would stake a fiver that the letter you are (mis)quoting is not even from Smart anyway.

You should have got on top of this and used your POPLA appeal though I think you have missed the boat with that one and are now in ignore mode.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure