Settling a PCP loan tomorrow - best way to pay it off?

Face
Face Posts: 32
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Forumite
Hi,

Like quite a few on here I have recently purchased a new car and took out the finance purely for the £1500 deposit contribution - I have the cash ready to pay it off.

Now, how am I best to settle the remainder circa £9600 to get charged the lest amount of interest?

1) Just get a full settlement figure and pay it off there and then with a debit card, or

2) Pay of the vast majority - say £9500 and then get a settlement figure for the remainder

Basically, what I'm asking is - Is the interest penalty charge only made on the outstanding amount when I settle? And therefore paying a massive percentage lumpsum first would reduce the remainder to settle and hence a much smaller interest amount to pay when I then settle.

I hope that I have explained what I mean clearly - it makes perfect sense in my own head :-)

Thanks in advance,

Face

Comments

• StopIt
    StopIt Posts: 1,470 Forumite
    Just get the settlement figure I think, and then work from there?

What is the early settlement penalty charge, you haven't specified. is there one at all?

In debt and looking for help? Look here for the MSE Debt Help Guide.
    Also, If you need any free and impartial debt advice, the National Debtline, Stepchange, and the CAB can help.
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,662
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It depends on the contract - it may be a percentage of the total amount or the interest on the outstanding.
    I take it you're out of the 14 day cooling off period?
  • Just settle it I would say.

When I did mine ( 15k approx ) BMW said the interest fee that's applied on settlement can't be more than 60 days worth of interest.

So not much.
  • Nearlyold
    Nearlyold Posts: 2,273
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Face wrote: »
    Hi,

Like quite a few on here I have recently purchased a new car and took out the finance purely for the £1500 deposit contribution - I have the cash ready to pay it off.

Now, how am I best to settle the remainder circa £9600 to get charged the lest amount of interest?

1) Just get a full settlement figure and pay it off there and then with a debit card, or

2) Pay of the vast majority - say £9500 and then get a settlement figure for the remainder

Basically, what I'm asking is - Is the interest penalty charge only made on the outstanding amount when I settle? And therefore paying a massive percentage lumpsum first would reduce the remainder to settle and hence a much smaller interest amount to pay when I then settle.

I hope that I have explained what I mean clearly - it makes perfect sense in my own head :-)

Thanks in advance,

Face

It depends on the terms and conditions of your loan

Some lenders charge no full or partial settlement fee.
    Some lenders charge only a full settlement fee (in which case your suggested method of paying a partial settlement first would save you some interest.)
    Some lenders charge a fee on partial and early settlement in which case there are no savings to be had but see below.

All of the above are allowed under the Early Settlement Regulations 2004 (as amended to comply with the European Consumer Credit Directive.

Strictly its not actually a fee, its a reduction in the rebate of interest you receive for early settlement. Lenders are permitted under the regulations to calculate the rebate of interest from a date up to 58 days after the early settlement request is made - you then have up to 58 days to settle, you can wait until the last moment to settle if you want, so you only pay interest for the time the loan is outstanding, however this doesn't really save you any money as you will still have paid the interest because you will have kept the loan going for longer.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 32
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

I spoke with the finance company and they advised the most economical way would be just to settle the full amount which I did there and then. The "extra" that I had to pay in interest/charges was so small that even if there was a cheaper way it couldn't have really been much less anyways.

Many thanks again,

Face
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family