any way to see the will or estate?

13»

Comments

• When my step-grandmother passed away in August 2011 she had a small estate, as their main asset (the house) passed to her husband, my step-grandfather.

If stepGF owned the house in 2011 and died in 2012 it does seem a bit strange that there was no probate or LoA. If he owned the house at DateofDeath then probate/LoA would definitely have been needed to sell/transfer it.

If he had already sold the house prior to death you would expect him to have still been sitting on other assets needing probate. Or if the house/other assets were given away during the 7 years prior to death this 'should' still have been declared on the form to HMRC.

If you want to check who owned the house at the point at which it was sold post-death (and the history before that), I believe you can check this at the Land Registry site for a small fee (£4?).

Personally, I'd be curious even if I couldn't really do anything with the information!
  • just_a_name
    just_a_name Posts: 6 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2016 at 7:37PM
    If stepGF owned the house in 2011 and died in 2012 it does seem a bit strange that there was no probate or LoA. If he owned the house at DateofDeath then probate/LoA would definitely have been needed to sell/transfer it.

If he had already sold the house prior to death you would expect him to have still been sitting on other assets needing probate. Or if the house/other assets were given away during the 7 years prior to death this 'should' still have been declared on the form to HMRC.

If you want to check who owned the house at the point at which it was sold post-death (and the history before that), I believe you can check this at the Land Registry site for a small fee (£4?).

Personally, I'd be curious even if I couldn't really do anything with the information!

The house sold after his death - late 2013 IIRC.

It is rather odd - but apart from a Land Registry search there is no way to find out other than upsetting the already fragile family apple-cart as nothing is showing on the LoA or Probate data :(

edit: just called Dad & as I am adding to a family tree document at the moment I was able to double check with him that I have my SGF's first & middle names correct. Nothing for his name & date of death on the gov.uk site. Very odd.

Could they still be 'sorting it out' after 3.5 years??

Any ideas on what (if anything) I could do next? I would hate to think that anything underhand has gone on but if so, is there any mechanism for reporting a suspected fraud?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure