how old is my boiler?

Is there a way of working out how old my glow worm ultimate cf50 boiler is? It's on the blink, has been for a while, boiler engineer says its getting old and I need a new one, but I've no idea how old it is. Is there any information on it- serial numbers or anything that indicate how old it actually is?

Comments

• Do you have any log book or registration details to say when it was installed? From looking at google it says from 1993, but I'm not 100% certain.
  • the older the boiler " the better the boiler "

cast iron, wall mounted, and floor standing boilers, last for

decades, fifty years minimum............:o

parts are available or should be kept in stock,

and they are easy to repair.............bye.......

:xmassign:
  • cepheus
    cepheus Posts: 20,053 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2011 at 11:03AM
    I have a glow worm spacesaver 22-30 which is 30 years old at least. Gas engineer tried to get me to replace it with a condensing one, although it would have meant a lot of work due to location issues.

He said it might last another few years, that was 5-6 years ago. Still no problems.

Parts suppler for 50 CF MKll here
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The older boilers are less efficient, so the newer ones should be more economical to run.
    Bur i'm beginning to wonder if that's true, my combi is broken at the moment and they're saying it might need renewing even though it's only 8yrs old. Is it more economical to have a more efficient boiler if they last less than 10yrs.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • mr_vampy wrote: »
    Do you have any log book or registration details to say when it was installed? From looking at google it says from 1993, but I'm not 100% certain.

Got nothing, I checked Google and 93 seemed to crop up. It's Donald ducked according to boiler man, making a right racket, 'wear and tear' 'getting on a bit' etc etc ' keep it on minimum to stop noise' 'should see you through the winter' 'best of luck' etc. bust wondered how old it was to justify possible replacement. And god knows how much that'll cost!
  • cepheus
    edited 17 December 2011 at 12:51PM
    Do you live in a hard water area? My boiler was making an awful noise before they serviced it. I think the heat exchanger just needed descaling. Have you tried using an additive in the heating water? Make sure it is the right type to actually get rid of scale then put in the type to prevent it building up. It still kettles a bit on start up of the flame, but relatively quiet after a minute.
  • dan23uk
    dan23uk Posts: 111
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Glowworm ultimate 50cf ceased production in 2001, so it's at least 10 years old. Parts are still readily available though.

Dan
  • gas4you
    gas4you Posts: 2,602 Forumite
    Not much to go on one of these.

What sort of noise is it giving?
  • It's making random bang noises, popping noises, and last Sunday night it sounded like an aeroplane taking off in the airing cupboard, I thought it was about to blow the doors off! I had to leg it downstairs and turn the power off
  • cepheus
    edited 17 December 2011 at 5:00PM
    Noisy boiler or heating pipes

If your boiler or heating pipes are making hissing or banging noises, you should address the problem immediately. Ignore it and you might find yourself needing expensive repairs or even a new boiler.

Don't imagine that fixing a noisy boiler is as simple as wielding a spanner yourself. The majority of boiler problems require the skills of a Gas Safe Register approved heating engineer. But there are a few checks that you can perform – which won't endanger lives and could help you give an engineer more information about the nature of the problem.

Scale in the heating system

The build up of scale can cause 'hot spots', which produce steam bubbles that make a loud bang. The problem can be treated with a chemical descaler, found at most DIY stores.

This will involve:
    1. Shutting down the system
    2. Adding the product to the feed and expansion tank
    3. Leaving it to work for a few days
    4. Draining, flushing through and refilling the system
    Boiler thermostat is set too high or is faulty

First, try lowering the boiler thermostat. Unfortunately, while this may stop the noise, it might also lower the radiator temperatures. If the boiler thermostat is faulty it will need to be replaced by a Gas Safe Register approved engineer.

Insufficient water flow to the boiler

There are a number of possible reasons why there isn't enough water getting through to your boiler, so you should check the following:
    • Water flow rate
      With modern, wall-hung, light-weight gas boilers, water flow rate is particularly important. Check that the mains water is on. If it is, check your feed and expansion tank (if you have them, they're usually found in the loft).
    • Float valve
      1. First, shut down your central heating boiler.
      2. Locate the tanks and double check that the float valve isn't stuck. If it is, you'll have to move its metal arm to release it.
      3. Check that the open safety-vent pipe is correctly installed. If not, air can get into the system, causing noise in the boiler. If this is the case, you'll need to enlist the help of a professional heating engineer.
    • Frozen water supply pipe
      If this doesn't work and it's currently very cold outside, then it's possible your water supply pipe may have frozen.
    Lack of water pressure in your boiler

If the problem is a lack of water pressure, the pressure indicator on your central heating boiler will usually indicate that it needs to be increased
    http://www.homeserve.com/help-advice/boiler-heating/noisy-boiler-or-heating-pipes
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure