Savings accounts accepting DD's

Options

Comments

• treefiddy88
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    You may be able to select a date for the process to start. Thereby giving you time to do what you propose. So I guess only by starting an application with TSB will you learn if it's possible to select a start date for the transfer.

Thank you. I have applied for a new TSB account. I have until the 22nd to complete the switch so I should have plenty of time to set up 2 new DDs on the Santander account before starting the switch. :j
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,969 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may well be correct. Or, is it that we have assumed that what you say is the case? The terms are ambiguous in that we all assume that they mean DD's from two different accounts, but that is not actually stated.

Halifax states: pay out a minimum of 2 different direct debits

They don't mention that these two DD's have to be to different companies or to different accounts for that matter. It merely states "different". One could therefore reasonably argue that a DD set up to pay on the 5th of the month, and another on say the 10th of the month to the same account, were in fact different?
    You'd prob lose the argument on the basis in your theoretical interpretation there would be no need to say 'different' - just "..two direct debits".
    Put the word different in and it means something, er, different. :)

Personally I'd avoid the time wasted in dispute.. and the risk they'd look at my other broken rules...
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,206 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    colsten wrote: »
    I hope to get one this Christmas. Been waiting for it for over 60 years, so this year must surely be the year.

Shouldn't be a problem. Plenty to suit every budget here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/clear-crystal-ball

Better get a move on though. Last posting date 8th December.

https://www.royalmail.com/letters-to-santa

:xmassign:
  • clivep
    clivep Posts: 577 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You may well be correct. Or, is it that we have assumed that what you say is the case? The terms are ambiguous in that we all assume that they mean DD's from two different accounts, but that is not actually stated.

Halifax states: pay out a minimum of 2 different direct debits

They don't mention that these two DD's have to be to different companies or to different accounts for that matter. It merely states "different". One could therefore reasonably argue that a DD set up to pay on the 5th of the month, and another on say the 10th of the month to the same account, were in fact different?

I would take "different" to mean that there need to be 2 DD mandates showing on the a/c.

A weekly paying DD would only be 1 mandate

They certainly don't need to be to different companies. I can confirm this as my DDs to 2 Tesco Savings a/cs have satisfied the BOS requirements.

Whether or not 2 DDs for the same a/c would work may well depend on how they were set up. A DD set up to pay on the 5th of the month, and another on say the 10th of the month to the same account using the same mandate would probably not be classed as different DDs for BOS qualifying conditions.

However, with Tesco you can currently set up multiple DD mandates to take deposits from the SAME external current a/c by setting them up with different references. The BOS a/c would then show 2 mandates so the above example would give 1 mandate paying on the 5th and the other on 10th. This may well satisfy the BOS requirements but again, is it wotth the gamble?
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Does anybody have previous with DDs into cash ISAs ?

I clocked that Scottish Widows permits DDs to fund their EISA3 - so I checked around and it appears a few other providers do likewise - Bank of Cyprus and Yorkshire Bank came up on a search engine.

Far from ideal, however it might suit somebody strugling to find a single DD to service another account.

No doubt there will be practical obstacles such as the minimum paying in amount etc.
  • bristolleedsfan
    Options
    Does anybody have previous with DDs into cash ISAs ?

Progressive B.S - ISA - Regular Saver - Account only available to those living in N.I or existing members.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    Options
    Progressive B.S - ISA - Regular Saver - Account only available to those living in N.I or existing members.

Interesting, thanks.

However, as a non resident of the six counties that rules me out.
  • Bobblehat
    Options
    Regarding the note on the updated 1st page for the Post Office Online Saver. I tried a forum search for information about the DD facility being withdrawn, but came up blank. Apologies in advance for lack of perseverance/interpretation, but can anyone enlighten me as to where the information came from and if it's likely to still be true? Or does the note refer to the Saver being withdrawn!
  • chockydavid1983
    Options
    Pretty sure it was mentioned somewhere in this thread.
    I think it referred to the DD facility being withdrawn.
    Anyone know either way?
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,432 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 18 December 2017 at 8:31PM
    Options
    Bobblehat wrote: »
    Regarding the note on the updated 1st page for the Post Office Online Saver. I tried a forum search for information about the DD facility being withdrawn, but came up blank. Apologies in advance for lack of perseverance/interpretation, but can anyone enlighten me as to where the information came from and if it's likely to still be true? Or does the note refer to the Saver being withdrawn!

I believe applications to the Post Office Saver were closed for a time but have since been re-opened.

Edit: It was posted in this thread that applications had closed on 8th November, but seemed to be back on the 22nd.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback