MSE News: Tesco to launch Clubcard 'flash sale' – should you hold on to your points?

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    FatVonD wrote: »
    I'm going to try again this weekend but to be honest I'm expecting much the same as the last couple of times I've been there. In the one nearest to me the whole of the fist aisle seems to be totally taken up with biscuits and breakfast cereals, neither of which we buy and from what I've seen of the prices for tinned stuffs, sure they're cheaper than brands but they're still not cheaper than the value lines at the *other* supermarkets.

I'm specifically going to make a point of looking at the fruit and veg this time having read so much about the super six etc, etc. because they do sound like good value but I find the whole place quite depressing.
    As you say, give it a go. The stores do vary, and we're perhaps lucky in having nice bright, large new stores in the area, with a lot of competition to keep them on their toes.

As for value lines, don't be deceived by the perception amongst some people that Aldi/Lidl 'brands' (all non-brands, in fact!) equate to Big 4 value lines. They're not in any sense equivalent (Aldi do actually have a value range themselves) - they're equal to or better then the main Tesco/Sainsbury own-labels or even the main brand. Check the labels - they're far superior to the value lines.

The deli-style meats and cheeses, and the dairy, are probably the best value. The Aldi Stilton, for example, comes from the same creamery that supplies M&S, and the butter (89p) is from the Country Life creamery. The milk is from Arla Foods (Cravendale etc). Pretty much everything, apart from the really excellent and superior German and French ham and other deli meats, comes from the same British suppliers that supply the main supermarkets.

Good luck - and keep an open mind. :)
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    Between 9pm and 10pm my Aldi has more staff than customers and I've never had to queue that time of night.
    I don't see any need for them to be open any later than that (or any other supermarket tbh- it's not cost effective or especially pleasant to be shopping at midnight with the drunks just evicted from the local pub. (I work a 2-11 shift and somehow still manage to find a decent time to shop avoiding those queues you are going on about). 24 hour opening has probably done more damage to the supermarket trade than anything. No-one really uses it so it just adds to running costs which are ultimately paid for by the shopper anyway.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree- your experience is not the same as mine. I've yet to find an Aldi open after 9pm- many close at 7pm last time I checked. I'm normally around Central London at 10pm- no earlier. There are no Aldi's (or Lidls for that matter) open at that time AND in an area which doesn't leave me feeling unsafe when I leave.

If your working a 2-11 (pm?) shift then I'd assume you do your shopping earlier or on a day off. I prefer to do my shopping on the way home and fit everything else I need to do in the hours of a day off rather than spending that day off (inevitably a weekend day) in a long queue because I've left all my shopping until the weekend and then have to shop around because what I wanted to get is out of stock in Aldi too- last time I tried the weekend Aldi thing was October-December and I just gave up after never getting more than 50% of what I'd set out to and taking far longer to do so than I had if I'd shopped elsewhere and later.

I don't disagree with your experience; it is what you have experienced and that's true to you, but it isn't my experience, far from it, and when you say you think I should change my entire routine to something which is not easy or even possible for me to follow...sorry but Aldi can be good, but it's not so amazing that I want to re-route my entire life to accommodate it. If your able to fit Aldi in in your life, this is great- fantastic. But without going in to specifics it is not possible for me to do the same for very practical reasons (and these are not just involving the queues or finding many things out of stock.)

Like I said; I don't disagree with your experience, but it hasn't been mine. I would politely here agree to disagree.
  • harz99
    harz99 Posts: 3,642 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    jon81uk wrote: »
    Tesco have never offered a points boost on standard groceries, except for occasional offers on depts such as pet food and beauty.

To take the discussion back to Tesco and Clubcard related matters; you are not quite correct in that statement.

Going back 2 maybe 3 years, Tesco had food items from the Finest range on double up, also some frozen food from their normal ranges. I well remember getting loads of frozen chicken with my doubled up vouchers, and using the odd £4 off £30 to get another Kilo on top.

Then double up was replaced by boost and all that disappeared.
  • problemcashback
    Options
    If it means I can take the family to see Sean the Sheep, I'll be delighted. Incredulous, but delighted.

Other than that, I'll sit pat & renew English Heritage or the like.

Give it 6 weeks and it will be on at cineworld pound club, save the points:)
  • carmina_piranha
    Options
    I'll keep an eye out for the railcard offer. I think my most recent card was bought for £20 rather than £30 - I couldn't find a half price offer.

If it's the same as the ordinary offer where the token is valid for 6 months it might be worth it, for me.

Previously I have doubled up on the Disney Infinity I was going to buy for Christmas anyway, and a Hudl that I was going to buy anyway. I don't like this flash sale thing though, making it seem more exciting than it actually is! And if it's very limited, I won't be able to get the offer until I finish work so it's probably not worth the effort. Still, I'll add a reminder to my phone.
  • imho
    imho Posts: 2,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I have a Tesco 2 miles from me and a Aldi 6 miles and i use Aldi because i save at least a third off my shopping bill and their chilled food and meat is so much better.
    Tesco will never ever win the war with Aldi /Lidl as quality of Tesco chilled food is awful compared to Aldi /Lidl ,plus Tesco prices are way to high for rubbish food.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    24 hour opening has probably done more damage to the supermarket trade than anything. No-one really uses it so it just adds to running costs which are ultimately paid for by the shopper anyway.

The store isn't open 24hrs just for customers, most larger stores switched to night re-stocking about 10-15 years ago and around 10 years ago Tesco & Asda realised that if the lights and heating are already on for the staff to fill the shelves, they can employ one or two people to work the checkouts and make money. Thats why if you've tried shopping after 11pm you are dodging stock cages and rubbish everywhere. But then I used to go to a co-op at 6pm and the aisles were full of stock cages and rubbish!
    I think 24hr opening is fine, if the stores have the lights and heating on for the shelf-stacking staff, why not allow customers in too and staff a few tills?
  • globetraveller
    Options
    MSE_Helen wrote: »
    Clubcard members planning on redeeming vouchers may want to hold on to them for now...
    Read the full story:

Tesco to launch Clubcard 'flash sale' – should you hold on to your points?

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    d
    This was supposed to be the discussion.lidl and aldi don't have a tesco clubcard flash sale.
    weight loss target 23lbs/49lb
  • kevbev321
    Options
    I'm sorry but am I using a different clubcard boost scheme to everyone else banging on about how horrid Tesco are?!

My wife and I regularly use the tesco boost - in fact we get 4 times the value for all of our vouchers!!!

I don't know if you've seen the Pizza Express / Zizzi deal? You swap £2.50 in vouchers and get, I personally think, an incredible £10 in vouchers back! So for £10 in clubcard vouchers you can go out and have a thoroughly enjoyable meal, all for the price of a glass of wine.

What the hell are you moaning about?!
    :j Comping on & off since 31/08/12 :beer:
    I comp for fun... and to kill the boredom!
  • jenniewb
    jenniewb Posts: 12,836 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 February 2015 at 3:00PM
    Options
    kevbev321 wrote: »
    I'm sorry but am I using a different clubcard boost scheme to everyone else banging on about how horrid Tesco are?!

My wife and I regularly use the tesco boost - in fact we get 4 times the value for all of our vouchers!!!

I don't know if you've seen the Pizza Express / Zizzi deal? You swap £2.50 in vouchers and get, I personally think, an incredible £10 in vouchers back! So for £10 in clubcard vouchers you can go out and have a thoroughly enjoyable meal, all for the price of a glass of wine.

What the hell are you moaning about?!

Not everyone eats out. Some of us don't really want to go to the Cinema (and a friend has an unlimited card when I do want to go- which sadly these days isn't often) and I don't have kids/want to go to theme parks. I'd really love if they could offer things like retail vouchers for other stores (ie things I do use/want to buy) but as it stands, none of their offers seem to appeal to me. They've bigged it up as an amazing offer, but to me it's not amazing at all. Nothing on the list appeals. That's what I'm "moaning" about! ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure