Vanguard Life Strategy

Comments

• lentrix92
    lentrix92 Posts: 113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    just taken the plunge : 80% acc via Charles Stan as they now have monthly d debit facility
  • d4v34
    d4v34 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Hi folks,
    I just dumped £7.5k in Vanguard LS80 yesterday. I'm in for the long haul (10-15 years minimum) and have my pension and cash ISA ticking over however talk of market correction on this thread worries me slightly.
    I now have £10k invested in the LS80. I'm now thinking that given the circumstances drip feeding £1-2k a month may have been a better strategy, what do you think?

Thanks
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I purchased £12.6K of VLS100 on the 12/3/13

Just take a look at the price plot for VLS100inc and you'll soon see what an instant effect my money has on international markets.

I'd have to say keep one eye it by all means, just try not to obsess or fret about what might or might not happen to the price/value or you'll drive yourself bonkers. Stock prices rise and fall, that's guaranteed, it's the nature of the beast and you just have to accept it. VLS is a well diversified collective global equity/bond fund.

15 years is an awfully long time to have started worrying after day 1.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • d4v34
    d4v34 Posts: 30 Forumite
    JohnRo wrote: »
    I purchased £12.6K of VLS100 on the 12/3/13

Just take a look at the price plot for VLS100inc and you'll soon see what an instant effect my money has on international markets.

I'd have to say keep one eye it by all means, just try not to obsess or fret about what might or might not happen to the price/value or you'll drive yourself bonkers. Stock prices rise and fall, that's guaranteed, it's the nature of the beast and you just have to accept it. VLS is a well diversified collective global equity/bond fund.

15 years is an awfully long time to have started worrying after day 1.

Hi JohnRo,
    Thanks for that, I was really just questioning whether drip feeding would be better than investing lump sums in the immediate future.

I admit I watch the investment but that's really just a passing interest in how market fluctuation affects the investment it doesn't necessarily concern me as hopefully over the next 10-15 years the overall trend will be positive.

Cheers
  • JohnRo
    JohnRo Posts: 2,887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    d4v34 wrote: »
    I was really just questioning whether drip feeding would be better than investing lump sums in the immediate future.

No one knows one way or the other with any certainty. The decision is a personal one and about psychology more than anything technical imho.

At some point the stock indices around the world will fall; when, why, how far and from what level is the unfathomable part. All you can do now in this moment is decide whether you want to wait for an imagined big correction before investing, which may never happen, or drip feed regularly to try and minimise the effect of a sharp downturn in the near future or lump sum and gain the full benefit (or otherwise) of time in the market.

I'm far more uncomfortable sitting on piles of increasingly worthless central banker tickets than I am sitting on collective investments in real people doing real work. I decided a long while ago the lump sum strategy was for me.

That said I do intend, if the opportunity arrives, to start taking some profit at some point over the next year or two to plough back into a decent correction if the index rises keep going at about this pace. How that intention will pan out though I know not.
    'We don't need to be smarter than the rest; we need to be more disciplined than the rest.' - WB
  • PParka
    PParka Posts: 262 Forumite
    Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic
    d4v34 wrote: »
    I was really just questioning whether drip feeding would be better than investing lump sums in the immediate future.

We decided to try both. My ISA was funded with a lump sum into VLS100%, but my wife is drip feeding her ISA over the year. It will be interesting to see which does the best.

I tried to time the market and was waiting for a dip before funding my ISA, but the dip never came. So won't be trying that again :o
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    PParka wrote: »
    I tried to time the market and was waiting for a dip before funding my ISA, but the dip never came. So won't be trying that again :o

its time in the market not timing the market that matters

how many times do people need to be told!

fj
  • Zekko
    Zekko Posts: 208 Forumite
    Great thread.

I've always held most of my savings in cash, however with the shocking interest rates on savings accounts lately, I've decided now is the time to start looking more seriously into investing, and taking a longer term view on some of my savings.

I've begun by paying in a £5760 lump sum into VLS100% within a Charles Stanley Direct S&S ISA. I'll use this first step as a platform going forward and as motivation to improve my investment knowledge over the coming years.
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Zekko wrote: »
    ......and taking a longer term view on some of my savings.

I've begun by paying in a £5760 lump sum into VLS100%

i hope longer term means 5-10yrs

cautious by usinh half your isa allowance but risky with the 100% fund - you really should have picked the VLS60% acc fund, should return 10+% over the long term, the 100% fund will be more bumpy and you may be tempted to sell out if you cant handle a 20-30% loss

fj
  • bowlhead99
    bowlhead99 Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Post of the Month
    i hope longer term means 5-10yrs

cautious by usinh half your isa allowance but risky with the 100% fund - you really should have picked the VLS60% acc fund, should return 10+% over the long term
    I'm curious over which long term period a portfolio of 60% index trackers and 40% bonds has returned over 10% compound annual return when both components started at virtually all time high prices.

The advice to avoid going 100% equity for your first proper investment is sound, but a lot of the reason people over-risk themselves is because they being fed unrealistically high expectations about return prospects, albeit by well-meaning folk like your good self.

IMHO.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport