PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Thursday 22 June 2017

Options
nmlc
nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 22 June 2017 at 6:35AM in Old style MoneySaving
O/S Daily Thursday 22 June 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

Sun trying to break through still hot but cooler air than we have been having, possibility of some rain/storms, we'll see. Washing is already on the line, hoping for it to dry before we get the rain.

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Dinner last night was hot quiche, stuffed baked peppers and a rice dish that I made with some smoked sausages, mushrooms, peppers, and prawns was lovely, ice cream for dessert. I did remember to get the pork steaks out but they haven't defrosted as I left them in the fridge so will need to re-think, and the pork will be tomorrow nights' dinner instead.

Work was ok yesterday, but we were told yesterday that the extra hours will definitely be stopping at the end of June, so I have just 1 more next week and then I go back to my normal hours. It's going to be interesting watching how this is going to work, as when they did the restructure we didn't have enough staff that's why we were doing extra, we'll see.

I have a training session to go to today, then visit building society and bank and then go to next town to pay for our new sofa, if it's not too late I'll have a look round the huge Sainsbugs too.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB

Comments

• Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 22 June 2017 at 6:28AM
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread nmlc, take care RR, Nelski, hugs, chin up and keep smiling even if it is through gritted teeth, great news Mrs LW.

I've been up since 5, had my shower, which involves turning the gulper on and then set the WM going which means the water pump is running.
    I took a cuppa into CHS who opened one bleary eye and said 'I take it you can't sleep!'

It's cooler this morning maybe summer is now over, lol.

Time I made the packups.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,032 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Still raining here. At least it means the garden is getting greener. Potato plants are huge, just hope there's something happening in the soil.

This morning I'm off down to Glasgow for a couple of days. DM seems to need more of me since her illness at Christmas / New Year. I always anticipated this happening and expect my time down there will increase more later on. Whilst she infuriates me greatly most of time I still enjoy my time with her and can see the day when I won't have her so am making the most of it all.

My decorator is returning at about 9.30 to finish off. Now she'll also slap the left over paint on the bathroom which won't take more than half an hour.

I hope everyone is doing well, happy Thursday.
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Thank you for starting us off nmlc

I want to try and get to the supermarket today and get the shopping out of the way for the weekend. I’m hoping that with the promised storms the shops will be a bit quieter this morning and I can get around with relative speed. Whenever I think that, they always seem to be busier though. Perhaps everyone else has the same thought as me.

I need to buy a birthday present for a neighbour’s 10 year old daughter and a thank you present for someone who helped me out with a problem earlier in the week, but am having one of those not sure what they would like moments, so will have a wander around town looking for some inspiration.

Right, time to go and get another cup of tea and something for breakfast before getting on with the day.

I hope that you all have a good day whatever you are doing.
  • redruby
    redruby Posts: 7,317 Forumite
    edited 22 June 2017 at 7:56AM
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for all the good wishes yesterday, it was silly hot again yesterday but no funny turn, although the clients and I kept pouring cold water over our t-shirts to keep us warm, they dried in a second ! I drink gallons of water in fact I think I may have had too much that day and it affected me in some way ?? I don't know but it seems a bit overcast today so im hoping its abit cooler.!

My apprentice won last night :T bless her I am so proud, we went out for a nice meal afterwards but I was still home and in bed by 10 :D

Something and chips tonight I think there is some breaded chicken things in the freezer.

Right better get on have good days all xx
  • tru
    tru Posts: 9,138 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Morning :hello: [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Has anyone heard from [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]LameWolf[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Be careful [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]redruby[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] xx[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Fab news [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]MrsLurcherWalker [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Wishing the little man a speedy recovery![/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] x[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I'm glad Stanley's OK [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]cliffsgirl[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] x [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Scampi's pool is actually the base of an indoor guinea pig cage, around 4' x 2' and is solid plastic. So you're welcome to join him Nels but you won't be very comfy :D[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was in the garden sowing salad seeds and sweeping the patio at 7.30am yesterday, in my pyjamas :D I got most of the housework done by 9am, jumped in the shower then went for a walk. It was too hot, I should've left the shower til after the walk. Scampi seemed wary of a little dog we hadn't seen before so I stayed where I was til it had gone past the end of the road. He kicked off a bit but it felt different, I had a chat with the local dog expert (as I consider him to be!) and he said it sounds like frustration from not being able to meet. I've read lots about this but it didn't occur to me at the time. So another thing to learn to manage, lol. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was woken up by cramp in my left calf, I got up and stood on tiptoe, as it was easing my right calf started cramping. My thighs are aching. I think I've overdone the exercise, lol.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It's cloudy with a bit of a breeze this morning, it's getting stronger and fresher and I'm hoping it'll turn into a cold wind :D We'll have a decent walk today, instead of the quick 20 minutes we've had lately. I'm looking forward to it. I have a bit of work to do, then I'll damp dust the house. The strawberries produced runners, I planted some last week so they should've rooted by now, I'll separate them today and check for more. I want as many plants as possible. Not sure what else I'm doing, I'll see how the day goes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    :beer:
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    Bulletproof
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning :wave::wave:

MrsLW Pleased the op went well and the little one is doing well :). Yes Plastic Surgeons are fantastically skillful and study for years to perfect their art.

Nels. Look after you too..remember what I said about inconsiderate ungrateful mothers!

Well I'm all about working and not sleeping atm so no news to impart other that finding 3 small wasp nests in the corner of the living room:eek:. I'd seem the perpetrator coming and going through a crack in the open window. I have got rid of them as they were only small but I'm so glad I investigated as I dread to think of the consequences if I hadn't :(.

I react very very badly to any kind of bite or sting so I have to be very careful. I once had to have 2 weeks off work due to a bad reaction to a wasp sting on my arm. My whole arm was the size of a tree trunk and I felt so ill with it too. Another time a sting on the back of my leg which was even worse..I could barely walk!

Anyway, I must go and get ready for that thing I don't wanna do :(

Have a good day all and take care x
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks for the thread nmlc
    Still very hot but rain and thunder storm forecast for midday, can't wait.
    Water butts are almost empty and the garden is so dry.
    Strawberries are almost finished but we have had a lovely crop, with plenty in the freezer.
    The other soft fruits have done well.
    Earlier in the year I tried planting runner and French beans with no luck, couldn't understand why they seed just wouldn't grow. Then I found DH digging them up :eek: When I asked what he was doing he said he was looking to see if they were growing, so no beans :(

Hope you all have a good day.
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    karcher I feel for you, re the stings I have lymphodema in my right are due to my lymph nodes being removed when I had breast cancer, and my right arm is three times the size of my left one and I have to be so careful to keep it covered in the sun, and to make sure I don't get a sting or a cut on it .

Even a slight graze will make it leak fluid like a drain and a sting will give an awful reaction. I have a full pack of anti-bios in my house at all times for when I get a flare up as its like getting a nasty dose of flu with shivering and a fever and I have to go to bed for a couple of days.

If I get stung by a wasp or bee I have to go into hospital and be put on an intravenous drip for several days as my immunity is shot, another left over from chemo. But although I have an arm like an elephants trunk, its a nuisance, and I am careful with it.

The other side effect is I have a great deal of trouble finding clothes,coats especially as I have to buy them two or three times bigger just to get my arm through the sleeve and gloves are a bit of a no-no unless I knit them myself.
    I do have several arm sleeves that I can wear in the winter but this weather I would just melt Sadly there is no cure, but I just get on with life and think well I can live with a big arm ,but can't live with cancer .

One of the ladies I used to see at the hospital had lymphodema in her legs and bless her she was in an awful state and had to have thick bandaging on all the time and could barely walk ,so I am at least luckier than her as its only in one arm.
    but hey ho I'm still alive and kicking and its 5 years next week since I got the all clear and ten years sine I had my op. so people do survive and carry on with life ,albeit slightly hampered at times with a big arm :):):) it doesn't work very well when carrying things as I have limited strength in it as well but I have just adjusted to using my left arm more . A bit of a hoot when I am swimming with my DGS on holiday as I tend to swim in circles and one arm works better than the other :):):):)
    Talking of swimming I think I may take my DGS swimming this afternoon as I get in for free (because of age ) and he will enjoy getting cooled down in the heat.

Gardener is coming this morning to mow and weed the garden I shall make sure he has lots of cold drinks available as well poor chap.
    Its bright and sunny again today and the forecast is slightly cooler with a high of 25c as opposed to 30c + :):):) I just would like a little rain to make the air feel a bit fresher,no doubt it will come sooner or later .

Peeled and mashed some spuds last night and froze some for another day.i find if I cook at night or early in the morning then its done and out of the way before the heat gets too much.

Tonight I will have some chicken kiev, cheesey mash and some steamed veg. Steaming doesn't take long and the remoska can cook the kiev and the m'wave will zap the mash :) No way will I put my big oven on to cook anything .

Right time to get myself a cuppa.Hope you all have a good day and if you have a birthday enjoy getting spoiled.

Cheers chums

JackieO xxx
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone,

Cooler and breezy here in EA, its touch and go whether or not we have some rain, in comparison to Gers lush greenness everything is looking very parched here, let's hope we get a good downpour.
    My DOH took me out for dinner last night and we found a new to us pub with a beer garden, the food was lovely as was the company :D
    Will catch up on some chores this morning now it's tad more comfy to work, have been sweeping the floor rather hoovering as it puffs out too much heat!
    Scary about the wasp nest Karcher we often get a queen in the house at some point in the spring looking for possible sites, they are big old girls.
    Have a good day folks x
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

Its a lot cooler this morning, storms forecast but no sign of them yet, it was so hot again yesterday afternoon. OH was bowling, he had sweated so much his shirt was stuck to his back.....it was in the shower and plenty of drinks, he had drunk all the water he had taken with him.

Have to go and collect the sprayer this morning, also need a couple of things from Lidl where we park. I will not park in Lidl car park unless we need something from the shop, we will walk down to Wilko's.

No plans for the day, just to keep cool.......

No idea what to have for supper, I have some ham in the freezer, maybe I will thaw it and we will have ham salad. We are still picking strawberries but not so many now, the net is off the small bed. I need to get preserving sugar for the strawberries to make jam.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure