Motorhome hire con

Wondering if anyone has encountered a problem with a motorhome hire deal in Cheshire which we think is a con. We were texted a deal to hire a motorhome for 199.00 for 3 days hire for a 6 birth van which we thought was a great deal so we took it up for our half term . On collection the hire company proceeded to point out a 1001 marks dents scratches etc that previous hirers had caused, he said from tree scratches etc . I commented at the time that I was concerned that obviously being a large vehicle these were unavoidable when driving down country lanes etc , he said not to worry and just had to let me know but not to worry . We had a lovely time but decided that due to the pending storm on the way we would return home a day early due to the weather warnings especially for high sided vehicles. We handed it back in the middle of the storm and he went round the vehicle checking photographing etc whilst we waited in our car (with two very scared children due to the power of the storm rocking the car), after about 20 mins of him checking the vehicle he pointed out a succession of marks and problems to which I asked if he was going to charge us for them , only to reply it wasn't his decision and probably not . He did say that the vehicle was going straight back out that day at 2pm, (we dropped it at 1130) and one of the problems was a faulty lock to the main door to which he said would have to order the parts for, I did point out that we had not damaged the dooor and been travelling for 2 days with children with the door closed so how could it now be faulty? I did call back the next day to drop a rug off and asked if the vehicle went out at 2 the same day and he confirmed it did, so he obviously sent it out with the so called faulty lock!!! I waited a week for our 300.00 deposit to be returned, calling the company to check on where it was only to receive an email to say that they were keeping our deposit and attached a further invoice for another 390.00 for the "damage", damage that we are unaware of , i.e. the tree scratches . I think the con is that they hand over a faulty vehicle i.e. all the marks , claim the damage from the previous hirer and never actually fix the "damage", then claim of the next hirer for their so called"damage" and continue to do thus this getting approx 1000.00 for each booking instead of the 199.00 originally advertised for . We have now received a letter from a debt collection agency and I really don't know what to do as feel I am being had , sorry for the long explanation hopefully someone can guide me to maybe an ombudsman or their experience with said company based near Nantwich Cheshire

Comments

• pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    1 - Paragraphs please!

2 - Why then are you telling us that this is any kind of BARGAIN?

3 - When did Cheshire leave the UK and become an overseas country..?
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Hi, we move threads if we think they’ll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"]forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL].
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2017 at 5:16PM
    Welcome to the forum.
    You'll probably need to put information e.g. The company name
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,276
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    The way I read it, they have done nothing wrong.

When you picked up the motorhome, they went round it pointing out any existing dents and scratches. When you returned it, they looked again and found new scratches that weren't there previously.

Presumably, these new scratches didn't make the vehicle unroadworthy, so there's no reason not to hire it out immediately. Taking it off the road would have cost them a hire, in addition to the repair costs, which would have resulted in an even greater bill for you.

Eventually, they will sell on the vehicle second hand and buy a new motorhome to rent out. If the vehicle they sell is covered in dents and scratches, then that will be reflected in the price they get for it. So it's only fair that the hirers should make up that loss.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    edited 30 June 2017 at 7:36PM
    Ectophile wrote: »
    The way I read it, they have done nothing wrong.

When you picked up the motorhome, they went round it pointing out any existing dents and scratches. When you returned it, they looked again and found new scratches that weren't there previously.

Presumably, these new scratches didn't make the vehicle unroadworthy, so there's no reason not to hire it out immediately. Taking it off the road would have cost them a hire, in addition to the repair costs, which would have resulted in an even greater bill for you.

Eventually, they will sell on the vehicle second hand and buy a new motorhome to rent out. If the vehicle they sell is covered in dents and scratches, then that will be reflected in the price they get for it. So it's only fair that the hirers should make up that loss.

It could be genuine, it could be a scam
    Op you haven't confirmed that you examined the faulty door.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    The op is from the middle of May and hasn't been back. I think you're wasting your time.
  • MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,851
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    tykesi wrote: »
    The op is from the middle of May and hasn't been back. I think you're wasting your time.
    Seems to be happening more frequently here, doesn't it? :)
  • savvy
    savvy Posts: 31,128
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    tykesi wrote: »
    Ah but input can always help others in the future who find themselves in a similar situation......never know what's just round the corner in life ;)
    Honorary Northern Bird bestowed by Anselm
    I'm a Board Guide and volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly on Special Occasions, Green/Ethical, Motoring/Overseas/UK Travel & Flood boards, it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Report inappropriate or illegal posts to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Views are MINE & not official MSE ones ;)
  • MrJones1
    MrJones1 Posts: 119 Forumite
    For people who find themselves in a similar situation as OP. Take pictures before you drive off. This will be your evidence in case they want to "steal" your deposit for no reason. It's not enough that you point out the damages to the company. In case they are dishonest, you need solid evidence that prove that you didn't cause the damages.
  • hollydays
    Forumite
    In the case of a small scratch that would be quite hard to capture?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure