exercise for middle aged overweight man

Comments

• If a dog isnt practical, how about getting him a fitbit?
  • Totally agree about the long-term nutrition. In fact, our normal diet is exactly that (I weigh 9st 3lbs, at 5'8" - have never had a weight issue) - but OH would be the first to admit that on top of this nutritious diet he used to add crisps, chocolate, larger portions, late night snacks etc etc. And when he feels depressed he craves !!!! (by his own admission). He's finding the 5:2 diet is working for him, and has cut the rubbish out of his diet on his non-fasting days as well. Once he attains his target weight, we'll see how things go re maintaining it. He loves any sort of vegetable, happily snacks on fruit - we've always eaten a healthy diet, it's just that he used to add unhealthy things in on top of that!!

At the end of the day, I want to help but I'm not his mother. He's asked me not to buy crisps etc when I do the weekly shopping (I would never buy them for myself anyway), but I can't stop him caving in and buying them for himself!

Suki - yes, I think building stamina is what OH needs too. He was so poorly 3 years ago - couldn't get up the stairs without stopping for a rest half way up - and he's so much better now (can walk up the hill from town to our house without stopping). But he knows he could be even fitter. Psychologically I think he sort of needs to re-learn that he can do this stuff without killing himself.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Definitely walking as others have said. I am 67 and do a fast three mile walk in 50 minutes, almost every day. I did the 1000 miles last year, and doing it again this year. I shall be doing some longer day walks once the weather picks up a bit. Walking, good for the body and the mind.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • He has lots of choices for exercise swimming, cycling, walking.

He has done well to lose 1 stone. Don't try and use the exercise as a weight loss tool but use it for a health tool. Weight loss is majority diet related. Exercise helps but has diminishing returns after a while as the body adapts. Keep doing the 5:2 if it works for him.

I would add in light resistance training as well. Defo light 12-15 reps with a heart condition, clear with doctor first of course. Weights are something you can be competitive with but only with yourself trying to do more reps or slightly more weight than last time. I put on another thread that you lose muscle as you age which is why it's imperitive to do resistance training. Muscle is the most metabolic tissue so the more you have the most calories you burn at rest.

Along with that make sure he is getting lots of protein. Protein fills you up and uses more calories to digest than the other macronutrients. You also can't overeat if you fill up on protein. This also helps you maintain muscle as you age which long term keeps the weight down.
  • gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,692 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I'm a similar age but weigh more. Check if local gym accepts GP referral they can then assess and write up appropriate programme. My local gym does this and runs age related classes so he could choose if he wished to join in. I found staff and fellow users non judgemental of age or weight.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Totally agree about the long-term nutrition. In fact, our normal diet is exactly that (I weigh 9st 3lbs, at 5'8" - have never had a weight issue) - but OH would be the first to admit that on top of this nutritious diet he used to add crisps, chocolate, larger portions, late night snacks etc etc. And when he feels depressed he craves !!!! (by his own admission). He's finding the 5:2 diet is working for him, and has cut the rubbish out of his diet on his non-fasting days as well. Once he attains his target weight, we'll see how things go re maintaining it. He loves any sort of vegetable, happily snacks on fruit - we've always eaten a healthy diet, it's just that he used to add unhealthy things in on top of that!!

At the end of the day, I want to help but I'm not his mother. He's asked me not to buy crisps etc when I do the weekly shopping (I would never buy them for myself anyway), but I can't stop him caving in and buying them for himself!

Suki - yes, I think building stamina is what OH needs too. He was so poorly 3 years ago - couldn't get up the stairs without stopping for a rest half way up - and he's so much better now (can walk up the hill from town to our house without stopping). But he knows he could be even fitter. Psychologically I think he sort of needs to re-learn that he can do this stuff without killing himself.

I know what you mean. My step dad took a major heart attack and stroke on a plane. Luckily they diverted to Frankfurt and his life was saved. However he disabled himself after that. He sat in a chair forever more, armchair, wheelchair.. Sad really, his fear, mums ignorance and lack of support

When I say I'm working away indoors, don't laugh, I'm using the will. Now for those super fit they can laugh. But I've just done 20 mins of steady aerobic steps, 20 mins of balance style games and I've just started on the yoga It's not a lot, but it's 40 odd mins of steady controlled exercise and I do feel it but I'm not killing myself, I'm taking it steady. Last week I struggled to do 10 mins :)

Perhaps that's something you can look at getting ? The wii in itself is great fun to 'play' together , without going to the exercise part at all. You would be encouraging to exercise without looking to push it
  • lilmiss1982
    lilmiss1982 Posts: 1,405 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    I would say the same as others, start slowly with walking, swimming and perhaps get back on the bike and do cycling. Don't let the weather put you off wrap up warm and wear a waterproof. The perhaps as he becomes fitter he might consider the gym, free passes are great, and also payasugym is a good site buy day and monthly gym passes. Also I believe move gb have a offer on groupon for passes too. Or get back into golf or start a completely new sport.
    For thousands of people this Christmas, their must-have gift is far more vital than the latest gadget or toy – it’s blood. Please don’t let the festivities and cold weather prevent you from giving them the ultimate gift… give blood.
  • AirJoe
    AirJoe Posts: 62 Forumite
    Good cardio suggestions above already. I've always found having a regular meetup with a friend (or other half) to be the best motivation for me. They'll encourage you and vice versa so you stick to it more regularly. I can't tell you the number of times I've been ready to bottle a workout but had to go so as not to let someone else down and then been glad that I did :)

I'd also second the recommendation for some light resistance work and also some simple balance work. Both are often overlooked and are invaluable in staying active for longer. Resistance work is good for retaining muscle mass and also bone density, both of which decline with age. Good balance is probably one of the best ways to prevent injury and some simple one legged work can be incorporated into a warmup quite easily. Use a light hand against a nearby wall or similar as a safey net if you're new to single leg stuff.

Cardio is a great way to balance mood so, once a routine is established, it should also help with the mood motivated binges too.

Competition wise, I like to think of it this way. I'm not competing with my friends, or the me of 10 years ago, or the person on the magazine cover or that guy on an internet forum because there are too many other variables involved in those that are out of my control. I am competing with the me from yesterday though, because me and that guy are on a level playing field. I can't guarantee I'll always win (no one ever does) but I will work to at least consistently beat him :)

Best of luck!
  • chucknorris
    chucknorris Posts: 10,786 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Plus - dogs are awsome

Can't argue with that, our dog is 6, and we are starting to think of getting a second one, not just for this reason, but initially I thought about it because it is almost unbearable when they pass away, and I think it would help me. But also I'm hoping twice the dog equals twice the happiness too.

Back on subject, definitely walking, I've had so many running injuries, that I've started hiking more, and I now think it is massively underrated as exercise.
    Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one birdThe only time Chuck Norris was wrong was when he thought he had made a mistakeChuck Norris puts the "laughter" in "manslaughter".I've started running again, after several injuries had forced me to stop
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have a dog you can borrow. Pulls like a steam train so as well as the walking/cardio workout, you also get the resistance exercises as well. Does wonders for the leg muscles when you're bracing yourself trying not to get pulled in a river by a dog desperate for a swim. ;)
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure