PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Options

Comments

• Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have now found the pedal and plug mechanism and the instructions but still no sign of the machine itself. It has rather propelled me into a bit of a sort-out in general. I got very excited at one point as I thought I had located it, but it was the old Kenwood Chef with its plastic cover. I did go along to the sewing class to explain what had happened and they seem a friendly lot, so I look forward to joining them eventually.

Sashanut - I would do your trousers by hand using an invisible hem stitch, but I am not an expert. Maybe practice on something you are not too bothered about first.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    sashanut wrote: »
    the first thing I want to do is take up some pairs of trousers that are too long in the leg...they are needlecord as well.

No time like the present for your overlocker. First wash the trousers, in case they tighten up. Draw a chalk (tailors chalk) line, or pen/pencil if you haven`t. use the overlocker to cut and tidy along that line, three thread is fine. Pin up, then fit to self accurately, I usually tack, iron a crease, under a cloth as is needlecord and would get shiny. Then sew by machine. Don`t make the hem too deep. If you think it is too deep then do a tacking stitch to hold the edge and repeat the overlocking. You should have a hem about 1/2 inch. I would do 2 lines of stitching to make it look even neater.
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thank you very much for the tips on taking up my trousers!! Am going to attempt it at the weekend when I have more time/daylight etc. Is this a good time to mention I have no idea how to use the overlocker? I'm hoping it has simple instructions. it was a bargain price - from Lidl - and is a SINGER 2/3/4 thread overlock...ah so Kittie the 3 thread thingy now makes sense..
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Living Proof, my first machine (after about 30 years of not having time to sew) was a John Lewis own brand, about £99. They are actually made by Janome or so I understand - at least, they take Janome fittings. It had zigzag, a few other stitches and was great to get me back into sewing. I then bought a more advanced Janome second-hand via my sister's quilting club. So it might be worth putting the word out at your sewing group in case anyone has a machine they want to sell. Otherwise if you can scrape together £99 John Lewis are still selling them, and I don't think you'd be disappointed.

Visiting a friend this weekend and she's just texted to say that her 14 year old son wants me to teach him how to use the sewing machine. Can't wait!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    sashanut wrote: »
    Thank you very much for the tips on taking up my trousers!! Am going to attempt it at the weekend when I have more time/daylight etc. Is this a good time to mention I have no idea how to use the overlocker? I'm hoping it has simple instructions. it was a bargain price - from Lidl - and is a SINGER 2/3/4 thread overlock...ah so Kittie the 3 thread thingy now makes sense..
    I bought the same overlocker from Lidl. You just need to have a go at using it on some spare fabric, they are noisier and faster than most sewing machines and can be tricky to thread. I bought this light https://www.amazon.co.uk/Daylight-Company-Naturalight-DN1180-Machine-x/dp/B00QIKGFHI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1486829520&sr=8-4&keywords=sewing+light

I can use it on both my sewing machine and my overlocker and this blog is perfect to help with threading just keep practising it really helps.

http://www.makery.uk/2015/06/serger-series-part-2-threading/

Have fun...
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I am currently an occasional machine sewer, but I've not forgotten my cousins expressions when I calmly threaded up their mum's machine (with her permission!) & repaired a rip in cousins fancy dress cape.
    Sometimes these simple machine skills appear even more remarkable than some phone app, so rousing hurrahs to Kittie & DGD!
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi All :j

Many thanks for the info especially from nearlyrich, that light looks very useful, I didn't realise you could get them to fit on SMs. I have a daylight lamp that I can use for my knitting & it really helps on these dull days.. I think I'm definitely going to need to practice with the overlocker & the threading guide looks really helpful....Might have to leave taking up the trousers till I have some proficiency, but am away for 2 weeks from Mon so have to wait, now, am very impatient!!
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    skirt and waistcoat all sequined ...

then it is decided a hat is needed !!!! today I made a bucket type sunhat, and shall be sequinning it later! needed some ostrich feathers to finish it off, but they were £2.75 EACH in local shop. I'm sorry, I do like to buy local, but I bought 10 for £4.95 online! ( incl. postage! )

I have also made a fleece blanket for friends new baby, and a little tote bag for new babes big sister! which reminded me of the tote bag challenge, which I never did! and I can't even take a photo of the little one I just made, as its had a few little gifts placed inside, and is wrapped up, ready to deliver!

it has been a busy sewing day today!
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    I've done next to no sewing for myself recently as life keeps getting in the way but I really enjoyed teaching my friend's son to use the machine. I usually start beginners off with a simple bag, but he announced that he wanted to make a jumper for the family dog! We found a YouTube tutorial, drew up a pattern and I showed him how to pin it and cut it out of an old pair of pyjamas. Then he learned how to fill the bobbin and how to thread the machine, straight stitch and zigzag and how to hem. By teatime he'd produced a useable garment, maybe it lacked a bit of finesse but the dog didn't seem bothered! He's really got the idea of how you can make fabric change shape and I'm interested to see if he does any more.

His sister asked me how long I'd been sewing and after I thought about it I reckon I probably started at 8 or 9 - with close supervision. It was just something you did, my earliest memories are of my mother whirring away with her hand crank machine, sides-to-middling sheets, making our clothes, fancy dress outfits, cushions, curtains, etc and so it was natural to me to copy her. It's a real privilege to be able to pass on some skills!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • MamaSaver
    Options
    I just found the thread a week ago and have read from the start. I have just started sewing, having done a course 5 years ago and forgotten everything, I just began a new course and the teacher is wonderful. Having been ill for the past week, I wasn't up to trying any sewing. So I watched u-tube videos over and over and finally went for my first ever sewed item today. I'm very very happy with the results although I'm not sure about the seam allowance I left and how long it will hold together, but my first cushion cover is piped (made my own) and zipped (not very well) but it's so encouraging to have made something useable. I must look at how to post a photo. Thank you all for the inspiration and encouragement, although it wasn't directed at me, I feel you are all so helpful and you don't mind when people ask basic questions. I found myself watching the sewing bee online too and ended up googling things like "binding". We all have to start somewhere and I couldn't think of a nicer bunch of people to share it with. Thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback