Selling your soul to the devil

Comments

• http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71499683#post71499683

Just seen this in the T&Cs of a comp:

"Only positive comments on the competition post will be entered into the draw.

Topps Tiles reserves the right to remove any competition comments or posts that are deemed negative or offensive."

A company trying to discourage sob stories? Or probably not, since a lot of people don't read the T&Cs, but looks like a sob story won't be the winning entry. Maybe more companies could start following these guidelines.....

...or could it be that they LOVE the sob stories but not the negative responses to them?
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=71499683#post71499683

Just seen this in the T&Cs of a comp:

"Only positive comments on the competition post will be entered into the draw.

Topps Tiles reserves the right to remove any competition comments or posts that are deemed negative or offensive."

A company trying to discourage sob stories? Or probably not, since a lot of people don't read the T&Cs, but looks like a sob story won't be the winning entry. Maybe more companies could start following these guidelines.....

I don't know what to make of it, but, considering they only want you to say which colour you like, it might be that they only want a one word answer and not this stupid 'woop woop, etc, etc,' nonsense that has been clogging up FB. :D
    Be Lucky
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • cagsd
    cagsd Posts: 7,623 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I won, I won, I won!
    If I was running a competition on Facebook and I'd asked for people to comment a particular word or phrase, I would disregard EVERY entry where people didn't do what they were asked! Anyone typing "OMG OMG thank you sooooo much for the chance, fingers and toes tightly crossed" would be automatically excluded!! ;)
  • BlueBella
    BlueBella Posts: 10,370 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    cagsd wrote: »
    If I was running a competition on Facebook and I'd asked for people to comment a particular word or phrase, I would disregard EVERY entry where people didn't do what they were asked! Anyone typing "OMG OMG thank you sooooo much for the chance, fingers and toes tightly crossed" would be automatically excluded!! ;)

Completely agree!
    :TA big thanks to all who post and sprinkling lucky dust to all who enter :smileyhea
  • pate-ci0
    pate-ci0 Posts: 2,589 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    The Facebook comp here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5545903 specifies:

"To be in with a chance to win, COMMENT on this post (in 12 words or less), telling us the one thing you’d like to see most when you wake up in the morning...?"

You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of comments which meet that criteria - RTFM, for goodness sake! I just hope they stick to that and disqualify anything over 12 words.
  • How can you turn a "what are you dressing up as for Halloween" into a sob story?

Not dressing up, as its the anniversary of the day my mother-in-law passed away, this was her favourite time of year, and she would decorate the house, we are decorating our memory garden, with pumpkin fairy lights, a wooden skeleton, and Halloween wreath and glittery skull bunting. I would love to win this, so we could raise a Halloween glass to her, and celebrate her life. Xx

Well played, well played.
    Why do mice have such small balls?
    Because so few of them can dance.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Considering how many people are hobbling around with their 'fingers and toes tightly crossed' I'm surprised I've never come across them in the flesh.

Oh dear, I must admit to occasionally typing 'crossing fingers and toes!', mainly on twitter when they ask for a comment, but occasionally if something I absolutely adore. I certainly don't do it on every comp, or for a pot of sauce or a £10 voucher :D

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • dontone
    hazyjo wrote: »
    Oh dear, I must admit to occasionally typing 'crossing fingers and toes!', mainly on twitter when they ask for a comment, but occasionally if something I absolutely adore. I certainly don't do it on every comp, or for a pot of sauce or a £10 voucher :D

Jx

I have to admit that I put 'paws crossed' when it's a comp to win the pooch something.
    I don't mind people putting fingers/toes/legs :p crossed on posts. It's just the rest of the stuff they write.
    Be Lucky ;)
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

• dontone
    pate-ci0 wrote: »
    The Facebook comp here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5545903 specifies:

"To be in with a chance to win, COMMENT on this post (in 12 words or less), telling us the one thing you’d like to see most when you wake up in the morning...?"

You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of comments which meet that criteria - RTFM, for goodness sake! I just hope they stick to that and disqualify anything over 12 words.

I see that some have stuck to it - the usual stories are one there as well. It will be interesting to see who wins that, and also to see if the promoters have stuck to their own rules.
    How can you turn a "what are you dressing up as for Halloween" into a sob story?

Not dressing up, as its the anniversary of the day my mother-in-law passed away, this was her favourite time of year, and she would decorate the house, we are decorating our memory garden, with pumpkin fairy lights, a wooden skeleton, and Halloween wreath and glittery skull bunting. I would love to win this, so we could raise a Halloween glass to her, and celebrate her life. Xx

Well played, well played.

Oh dear. Another one that I don't know what to make of. Sorry for their loss, but things like this do reek of desperation.
    It's all getting rather tiresome (as is me that keeps saying it, lol)
    Be Lucky :)

• dontone
    Heyup.

It seems to have gotten a bit boring and well, quiet in FB with the stories. They must be saving them up for December. Although I have seen a few going on about stocking fillers, etc.
    At least it's something to look forward to. :rotfl:
    Be lucky

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport