PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have a bPay tag on my keyring which is connected with my credit card. I got it last summer, as it annoys me having to carry a wallet when I don't wear a jacket.

It occurred to me that if I lose my wallet and report my cards stolen, the bPay will not be able to top up.

In view of this, I leave my credit card at home, so hopefully I should be able to still function until a new debit card arrives.
  • New Years Resolution, carry a fiver in nuggets & swap them to longer duration coinage! I'll bet the wee plastic clippie thing I hold them in Won't Work with the new coins (lighter, thinner, Slightly Larger - oh I'm doomed) either.
    Right. Time for a little light leatherwork to construct an un-clinking carrier for these new things, once I have five to work with...
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    New Years Resolution, carry a fiver in nuggets & swap them to longer duration coinage! I'll bet the wee plastic clippie thing I hold them in Won't Work with the new coins (lighter, thinner, Slightly Larger - oh I'm doomed) either.
    Right. Time for a little light leatherwork to construct an un-clinking carrier for these new things, once I have five to work with...
    :p There's an easy way to carry coins; the 35mm film canister.:p
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • No rattle? Mind, easy to line with a sliver of blotting paper. Hm. Where to source these *now*? Also, more than £5 huzzah, but will the new coins cooperate...
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :p There's an easy way to carry coins; the 35mm film canister.:p

Try offering that suggestion to most folk under 25 and see how they look at you ... :cool:

Anyhow, preppers who do know what you're on about and could find a use for some if they had any might care to know that you can often still scrounge them from the High Street places like Snappy Snaps that still do 35mm D&P.

(I'm often thankful that we actually got it together here to accumulate a small stash of the Ilford ones with the different coloured tops, which have come in handy for all manner of uses.)
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • Me, I remember what they look like & even had a couple of spindles onto which to wind film - eeh the things my gels school thought we should be able to do blindfold.

My offspring? Wouldn't recognise a 35mm film from a 110 cassette & as for the good old audiocassettes. Blimey I feel a what the devil is this then quiz for scout coming on, (I'll just have to tidy up rather a lot first, or trawl t'internet for pictures although holding it in the hand makes more of an impression).

At least the mysterious case didn't phase them - cries of "look out, it's got a dicky handle" (I paraphrase) & "it weighs a tonne!" (again) did eventually settle down into an orderly queue to have a go with a sewing machine easily six times older than most of the scouts.
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Anyone know if the new £1 coins are going to fit into supermarket trollies or if every trolley in the country is going to need a new coin mechanism? Just occurred to me that if there's only a window of 6 months when both old and new coins are in circulation that's quite a short time to organise it if they do need to be changed.

Just curious :D
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Me, I remember what they look like & even had a couple of spindles onto which to wind film - eeh the things my gels school thought we should be able to do blindfold.
    I doubt anybody will believe this, but ...

In my last year at school, I had a weekend job in a seaside chemist's shop which also did a roaring trade in films. Every day-tripper coming into the shop wanted a fillum (black and white, unless they were bank robbers) putting in their camera, which was usually either a box Brownie or a Brownie 127. We put an awful lot of films in cameras.

To relieve the monotony, !!!!!! here took to getting the other staff member to time him from taking a Brownie 127 (less case if it had one) off the customer to handing it back wound onto number one ready for the first snap. I could consistently do it in under 30 seconds - entirely by feel. And yes, that did include opening the film carton, removing the film from its sealed bag and taking off the paper tape.

The funny thing is, some customers were amazed that their camera could be loaded by an acneous youth who kept looking straight at them while he did it, but most of them never noticed.

What's even funnier (and perhaps quite sad), is that I swear I could still do it ...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    ivyleaf wrote: »
    Anyone know if the new £1 coins are going to fit into supermarket trollies or if every trolley in the country is going to need a new coin mechanism? Just occurred to me that if there's only a window of 6 months when both old and new coins are in circulation that's quite a short time to organise it if they do need to be changed.

Just curious :D
    :p Who knows? There are also millions of those charity £1 coin sized steel discs which are sold for this purpose, I have one permanantly living in my purse. If the trolley slots are changed to accomodate the new 12-siders, presumably these will all be so much scrap metal?

Re the under 25s, a convo at work this month between 45-55 y.o.s and with a 30 y.o. listening in revealed that they had no idea that there'd ever been such a thing as half-day closing or a time when you couldn't shop late into the evening in supermarkets or shop at all on Sundays. They were literally boggle-eyed at the very idea of restricted retail. We chuckled; half a generation can make all the difference to what you can remember sometimes.

I keep some emergency coins in 35 mm cans, they're a perfect fit for the £2 coins, not bad for the 50p but a bit loose on the present £1. A bit of tissue would solve any rattling.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Excuse a gentle laugh; one of the best-selling things we do as vintage traders are old 35mm & similar cameras, very often to people under 25! OK, a lot of them are film students, and a fair number of those are Japanese, but we're always thrilled to pick up a good camera, lens or light-meter at a car boot sale, as we know it'll sell well as soon as it's tidied up & working.
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure