124»

Comments

• unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Geoff1963 wrote: »
    Indeed.

To those nay-sayers ; if you bought a car and one of the wheels fell off, would you say, "Oh well, I guess things just unscrew by themselves". Some nuts and bolts on a car have Nylon inserts so they grip, other have slots and a split-pin ; because just tightening something, isn't always enough. Instead of the OP putting it in their handbag to carry it home, they might have put it in a suitcase, to go on holiday ; no guarantee of delicate handling.

The only problem with your analogy is that screw tops (unlike wheels) are not designed to keep on turning without coming off, quite the opposite.

If they put it in a suitcase then they'd be expected to ensure it was secure so that if it did burst, it didn't go all over everything else. Anyway as others pointed out, its not like the top unscrewed itself while sitting on the shelf so obviously there has been outside influence that resulted it in coming off. Something in OP's bag could have even damaged the threading and made the cap loosen.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Where's the head banging against a wall emoticon...?

Here it is... mad0228.gif

;)
  • Kayalana99
    Kayalana99 Posts: 3,626 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Regardless of the bag if I bought a product and it leaked before I'd even got it home I'd expect a refund for said item. I don't think you have a leg to stand on legally with the bag as it was your choice to put it in there knowing it was a liquid item that could leak...but I'd think with receipt and showing the leak they would have to refund/replace.
    People don't know what they want until you show them.
  • Geoff1963
    Geoff1963 Posts: 1,088 Forumite
    Options
    The only problem with your analogy is that screw tops (unlike wheels) are not designed to keep on turning without coming off, quite the opposite.
    I meant, the wheel nuts unscrewing.

There are standards for cap removal torque ; if it is too low, it is an accident waiting to happen.
  • RunningMum
    RunningMum Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jeez,at what point does common sense kick in?

A bottle needs to be kept upright. It stands to reason that it may leak otherwise

And yes!! Yes, it's most odd that it's just the bag which is damaged.... no phone or anything else of value?

I'd be embarrassed to be complaining about this
    Cringe,cringe,cringe
  • lammy82
    lammy82 Posts: 594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kayalana99 wrote: »
    Regardless of the bag if I bought a product and it leaked before I'd even got it home I'd expect a refund for said item. I don't think you have a leg to stand on legally with the bag as it was your choice to put it in there knowing it was a liquid item that could leak...but I'd think with receipt and showing the leak they would have to refund/replace.

Well assuming the product cost less than £10, the offered 1000 points (presumably a 'goodwill gesture') would cover a replacement bottle.

I agree that consequential damage to handbags etc is probably not the responsibility of the retailer, but a claim on household insurance would be the way to go.

Some posters have been unnecessarily harsh on the OP and questioning her version of events. She's got no reason to lie. It's perfectly believable that other items were not damaged if they were able to be wiped clean or were not in the 'line of fire' of the leaking bottle.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure