Making a new JSA claim with Job centre agreement

Had to unfortunately make a new claim today. Was laid off recently and had to claim for first time in 5 years. All claimants need to be aware that from my experience today the JSA advisers try to trick and bully you into signing an agreement to suit them.

You need to make it clear to them the minmum salary you are prepared to accept for your normal job as they will force you to apply for minimum wage jobs. Also you need to make clear your travel restrictions as they want you to look for work within 90 minutes travelling of your home and the minimum working hours too as they will make you apply for jobs of more than 40 hours per week.

In the end I got the agreement I wanted on salary, travel restrictions and working hours for the first 13 weeks. I pray to god I am not out of work for that long

Don't let them bully you into signing an agreement you arent happy with:mad:

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    The days when the claimant could dictate what jobs they would take and a minimum acceptable salary are long gone. It would seem that they overstepped the mark by trying to force you into the any job, any money regime from Day1 but that will certainly be the rules after 13 weeks.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I guess they think that taking any job asap while you continue to look for the job that you really want might not be a bad idea.
  • Stylehutz
    Stylehutz Posts: 351 Forumite
    shortcrust wrote: »
    I guess they think that taking any job asap while you continue to look for the job that you really want might not be a bad idea.

As opposed to letting you look in the type of work that You are qualified in. No doubt it is easier for the jsa advisers to sanction you if you let them dictate your jsa agreement
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,474 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    shortcrust wrote: »

In the early days following a job loss, this can actually be a very bad idea. Having the ability to attend interviews at short notice can improve the prospects of getting a job. Taking time off from a new job can result in being dismissed, with the risk that DWP will view it as your fault and therefore apply sanctions to the claim. A lose - lose situation rather than win - win:(

The reality is that JC are interested only in getting people off the unemployed numbers as quickly as possible. The quality of the job is of absolutely no importance to them.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    You sure it's five years Stylehutz?

You seem to have had issues with the Jobcentre in 2015 ...
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Once upon a time I used to travel a total of 4 hours a day to work, by doing that i was then able to buy a car and start my career. It amazes me when job seekers complain about having to travel to work.

You had better find something in 13 weeks as you said, after that, you are a job seeker, not a [enter specific job] seeker. Its not a case of bullying, remember YOU went to them, YOU want something off them, and on the tax payers behalf, they want something off you in return, which is to get a job, any job. Not ideal but ive seen too many people who are waiting for THAT job but have been unemployed for years not even realisjng their past experience is no longer relevant because of their employment gap.

Good luck finding what you want though, but if you take a non-ideal job, there is nothing stopping you from still looking for something more ideal WHILE working.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure