PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

stop fluff from towels?

2»

Comments

• ashlea170706
    ashlea170706 Posts: 198 Forumite
    i have the same problem with brown ones from asda i always tumble dry them and there is always so much fluff!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Think I'll pass on buying towels from Asda..........
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Hi all

I have 2 lovely navy blue towels that, despite half a dozen washes or so, are still shedding fluff all over the place!! I never use softener on towels - only the laundry powder. I don't want to get rid of them because they cost me quite a but, being egyptian and also this would just be wasteful.

Any tips?:o
    Dawnie :j
  • I would also like to hear of any tips please! I bought 8 black towels a few months ago and we have ivory carpet all through the house. The fluff is driving me insane! I don't want to replace them as they were expensive but I need to do something.....
    The best way to forget all your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Hi Dawnie,

There's and earlier thread that may help so I've added your thread to it to keep the suggestions together.

Pink
  • I have a real issue with teatowels shedding! They are not fluffy, they are the 'waffle' type but I can't dry anything with them as i then need to rinse the dishes again! I have washed and tumble dried them a few times but to no avail! Any tips?
    1st baby due 28/01/09...oopsidasy!!;)
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    rachstebbs wrote: »
    I have a real issue with teatowels shedding! They are not fluffy, they are the 'waffle' type but I can't dry anything with them as i then need to rinse the dishes again! I have washed and tumble dried them a few times but to no avail! Any tips?

when i moved i got new teatowels but found the fluff was a problem with glasswear - i just used an old linen towel for glasswhere for a couple of months untill the teatowels (cheap) had stopped shedding - i only changed the tea towels as the old oned did not match the new kitchen.

my asda towels like the cheap tea towels stopped shedding after 2-3 months and are so much softer than the older ones so stick with it.
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
  • I've never had a problem with towels (tea towels or bath towels) shedding - I only use soap powder when I was them, but I always do them on a 60 ºC wash and then if I can hang them out to dry. I wonder if the temperature that they are being washed at makes a difference?

I rarely tumble them as I like my towels to be rough and scratchy rather than soft (feel that soft just moves the dampness around my skin and doesn't dry me properly :o )
  • Rachyk
    Rachyk Posts: 38 Forumite
    Can anyone offer any more advice? We've had brown ones from M&S for a couple of years now and I still end up covered in fluff when I dry?!

They were a Christmas present as we wanted some nice fluffy towels, but now I end up using the old worn ones as the brown aren't worth the hassel!!! So any tips people have would be greatly received to finally make my towels useable
  • rachstebbs wrote: »
    I have a real issue with teatowels shedding! They are not fluffy, they are the 'waffle' type but I can't dry anything with them as i then need to rinse the dishes again! I have washed and tumble dried them a few times but to no avail! Any tips?
    If you use fabric conditioner, it makes things less absorbent; vinegar is better.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure