St Christopher's would not take my donation, why?

Hello All,

Apologize for the lengthy first thread.

With the weather on the up, and a feeling of spring in the air, I decided to finally get rid of those coats, trousers, shoes etc, which were sorted last year, but I had only managed to place in bin bags and placed in the corner of one of my rooms.

I counted six bags in total, and much of the clothing, was quite good. I had visited the main store of St Christopher's in the past, and decided to visit them.

I drove the short distance to the store, and was lucky enough to find a 30 minute bay close by.

I brought my first two bags into the store, and waited patiently in the line. There appeared to be a lot going on, with two volunteers coming and disappearing in the back.

After several minutes, I informed one of the volunteers, that I wanted to make a donation. I was asked what I had, and I informed the volunteer, I had male things.

I was asked to place the contributions in a pile at the end of the volunteer desk, which I did. I placed them on the ground, and left without a word from the volunteer. I returned back to the store a second time, and I was told by the same volunteer "we cannot take any more of your things, perhaps you could take them to MIND on the corner" I was completely shocked and surprised. This was the first time I had donated to a charity, and did not understand why I was being turned away.

I really wanted to contribute to the charity, and I had purchased a number of items in the past. I informed the volunteer, perhaps I should visit the smaller branch a few doors down, and she replied "sure".

I did visit the smaller branch, and explained what had happened, and the staff were really shocked. The manager in the small store was warm, and inviting. She told me, we welcome all donations to the charity. I gave the remaining four bags to the branch and left.

Any thoughts anyone??
Trinidad - The hottest place to go

Comments

• Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    If a shop has recently been given a lot of one particular thing - say men's clothing - they may not have room to store more while the stock is being sold.

I've had items refused by a charity shop for just this reason.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's a shame when you aren't given an enthusiastic response, but it's as Mojisola says. Also each shop may have more or less storage space - those with less can obviously store less stock. If they're not part of a 'chain' then they may not be able to pass surplus stock around - and even if there are other local shops then the arrangements for passing stock to other branches may not be that easy.
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • WhyNot?
    WhyNot? Posts: 51 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Hello All,

Apologize for the lengthy first thread.

With the weather on the up, and a feeling of spring in the air, I decided to finally get rid of those coats, trousers, shoes etc, which were sorted last year, but I had only managed to place in bin bags and placed in the corner of one of my rooms.

I counted six bags in total, and much of the clothing, was quite good. I had visited the main store of St Christopher's in the past, and decided to visit them.

I drove the short distance to the store, and was lucky enough to find a 30 minute bay close by.

I brought my first two bags into the store, and waited patiently in the line. There appeared to be a lot going on, with two volunteers coming and disappearing in the back.

After several minutes, I informed one of the volunteers, that I wanted to make a donation. I was asked what I had, and I informed the volunteer, I had male things.

I was asked to place the contributions in a pile at the end of the volunteer desk, which I did. I placed them on the ground, and left without a word from the volunteer. I returned back to the store a second time, and I was told by the same volunteer "we cannot take any more of your things, perhaps you could take them to MIND on the corner" I was completely shocked and surprised. This was the first time I had donated to a charity, and did not understand why I was being turned away.

I really wanted to contribute to the charity, and I had purchased a number of items in the past. I informed the volunteer, perhaps I should visit the smaller branch a few doors down, and she replied "sure".

I did visit the smaller branch, and explained what had happened, and the staff were really shocked. The manager in the small store was warm, and inviting. She told me, we welcome all donations to the charity. I gave the remaining four bags to the branch and left.

Any thoughts anyone??

I am sure we can all appreciate just how shocked and surprised you were by being turned away.

We could all speculate, as some have already done, as to the reasons you were turned away.

I think if I were in such a situation of being so shocked and surprised by what the volunteer had said, I would have politely enquired of that volunteer as to the reasoning behind this.

That's my thoughts on the matter...
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ............ This was the first time I had donated to a charity, and did not understand ....................
    Blimey, a (presumably) adult who'd never before ever donated to charity? Welcome to the club!
  • trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 April 2017 at 9:16AM
    Hello all, I received a PVT response from the manager of the branch, whom was really apologetic. The manager could not give any real explanation for why I was turned away on the second visit, but did say she will investigate and provide a follow up. There is sum assumption typed here, which i would like to address:

- Lack of room because of donations - The manager informed me they had good systems inplace if the store becomes overstocked, with clouthes etc delivered elsewhere or even recycled, which also generates income for the charity. The manager informed me on the day I came in, there would of been ample space, because alot of stock had been transported that day.

- Blocking for Health & Safety reasons on the shop floor, could of been a possibility, but not on this occasion, as there was ample storage that day.

- In regards to "standards of stuff" yes another possibility, the clouthes I brought to donate were clean and good quality, with most only one or two wears.

- "unloved" "rejected" the experience was strange, especially as the manager told me more than once, they have a open policy of accepting all donations, and its very common for house clearance to come to the shop following a death, with someone wanting to support the charity.

- yes I could of inquired with the volunteer as to why, but i felt embarrassed and wanted to leave. I love advise with "could of" "should of" "might of" I did not, but next time I would ask more questions. I "could have" asked for the manager at the time also, but I did not.

- I think there is millions of "adults" who have not donated to a charity before, and this is for lots of reasons, no biggie and unrelated to the thread.

From my actions of vising the shop, and what the Manager said and action to take, I will most likely return to there, both as a customer and to donate again. Infact, I would be most keen to see how much my clothes are priced up for - if they make the shop floor.

The manager said she will give me a update next week, thanks all
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • theartfullodger
    theartfullodger Posts: 14,592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    ,,,,,- I think there is millions of "adults" who have not donated to a charity before, and this is for lots of reasons, no biggie and unrelated to the thread..............................
    Acts 20:35..

Cheers!
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Don't take this the wrong way (almost impossible I know) but tbh your stuff just wasn't good enough, old fashioned, worn out, take it how you want but good stuff is never turned away.

Charity shops are very selective, it's just as hard for them to get rid if tat as it is us so they are very selective. That's the truth of it, the didn't want it because they knew they couldn't sell it.
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    I had to stop going into my local charity shop for a while , the manageress would shout at people dropping off donations "Hope theres no books in there weve got enough" and to a young man enquiring whether they wanted a practically brand new multi pushchair/pram " Well it better not have a car seat with it we dont want them!!" He looked like he was going to cry, bless him I felt like shouting out , flog it on ebay instead cos theyre not at all grateful here!!. I appreciate they have rules and regulations but there are nice ways of going about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure