How to make up the difference between benefits and bills

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    you could 'demand' all you want, but that isn't the same thing as getting it!

first of all you would have to be eligible for social housing in the first place, and then wait, in some areas, MANY years for a property to become available.

just because you 'need' a certain number of bedrooms doesn't mean you would get them!

i know someone that had 7 kids in a 2 bed house.

they youngest were 4 and the eldest had left home before a 3 bed became available

So why did they have children they couldn't house sufficiently? Can't really complain about availability.
  • nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,949 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So why did they have children they couldn't house sufficiently? Can't really complain about availability.

where does it say that they complained?

my post was in response to sail's post saying if he was in social housing he could 'demand' a larger property.

they were adequately housed when they started a family, but circumstances changed and they needed to move in order to care for her sick mother. they had to downsize in order to get a quick move, and were prepared to wait until something suitable became available
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    How do you think people manage when they lose their job and can't find another, or only a lower paid one or one further away that ups their commuting costs?

They allocate any money they receive from any other sources or they reduce their outgoings or they look to move somewhere cheaper.

Ok you may have different things you can/can't do compared to someone working, but ultimately it remains the same thing - you will need to reduce costs/increase income in order to suit the household bills.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,151 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    they were adequately housed when they started a family, but circumstances changed and they needed to move in order to care for her sick mother. they had to downsize in order to get a quick move, and were prepared to wait until something suitable became available
    That always amazes me, that people continue to increase their family size with little or no thought to the 'what if.......' scenarios. The bigger the family size the tougher it will be if a downwards change of circumstances happen.

It's amongst the reasons I stopped at two.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    That always amazes me, that people continue to increase their family size with little or no thought to the 'what if.......' scenarios. The bigger the family size the tougher it will be if a downwards change of circumstances happen.

It's amongst the reasons I stopped at two.

Likewise here. We waited 8 years before having children after we were married 1n 1972 The home came first followed by the children to fill it.
    Two was the max, we could not afford another. My salary was the only household income as my wife stopped working as soon as she found out she was pregnant and remained a housewife ever since.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    For the OP, your benefits are not there to supplement feeding three animals and an adult son who is paying you quite a small amount of lodge.

I have two cats and they cost me around £40/50 a month with their various needs. I do not expect benefits to cover that if I was on them. I would have to cut my own personal food budget to suit, etc.

Benefits are there to feed and clothe and shelter the person claiming and their dependant children. Not animals. Not service debts. Not continue their favourite hobbies. Not subsidise adult children.

Therefore how you make up the deficit is up to your own budgeting.
  • NYM
    NYM Posts: 4,066 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Life is full of 'what if's..'

Sometimes, no matter how well prepared you think you may be, something comes along and totally turns your world upside down.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    I think it's a joke,Jesus some people have no sense of humour.:):)

OK then I withdraw my comments. My OH says the same thing to me sometimes (I don't spot a joke).:D
  • catz1ct
    catz1ct Posts: 828 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is some very good advice on here, whether you want to hear it or not is another thing.
    :rotfl:
  • David_Aston
    David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    It would be lovely if the Op came back with a humbled response! I won't hold my breath.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure