Boots over-60s Advantage card - major devaluation

Snailmail received today.

Until now, members of Boots' Advantage scheme aged over 60 have received 10% discount on Boots-branded products. Advantage points were earned on the net value at 4 points/£.

That scheme is ending. The Health Club (as it is now known) is abolishing the 10% discount from 25 April 2012. Instead they will award 10 points per £ for each transaction.

Assuming that 1 point = 1p to spend, this represents a devaluation of 3.6% from 25.4.12.

Examples for £100 spend on Boots-branded products:

Now: £100 less £10 discount = £90
£90 @ 4 points/£ = 360 points = £3.60 in value
£10 discount + £3.60 points value = £13.60 total discount

From 25.4.12
£100 @ 10 points/£ = 1000 points = £10.00 in value, so just £10 total discount

They call this an 'upgrade'. :mad: I call it weasel words. Once again, loyalty only works in one direction.

Comments

• zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 April 2012 at 1:49PM
    They've been taking tips fron GO.
    We could always start an e-petition

However, the original discount was £13.60 now it will be £10.00 a reduction of £3.60 or 26.5% not 3.6%
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • Roger1
    Roger1 Posts: 1,603 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Thanks.

I based my calculation on the notional purchase price, but you are right - the discount has been hugely devalued.

It's even worse than I thought!
  • I called Boots to complain about the removal of the 10% and introduction of 10 points /pound. Others should also call and protest.

I don't know how to set up an e-petition but am willing to join and canvass for it
  • zygurat789
    veraellen wrote: »
    I called Boots to complain about the removal of the 10% and introduction of 10 points /pound. Others should also call and protest.

I don't know how to set up an e-petition but am willing to join and canvass for it

What did Boots say? What is there official stance?
    It would help to know this before we speak to them.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    You could, of course, vote with your feet and go to Superdrug or someone else. Why should Boot's subsidise you because you are old? All they are proposing is to subsidise you a bit less (but possibly still more than other equivalents).
  • zygurat789
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    You could, of course, vote with your feet and go to Superdrug or someone else. Why should Boot's subsidise you because you are old? All they are proposing is to subsidise you a bit less (but possibly still more than other equivalents).

Discounts are a legitimate marketting tool in retailing, what Boots are doing is targeting a large customer group with considerable purchasing power. What we are about is haggling for a better price because Boots are a large and profitable company making their money out of us by charging higher prices than others for some items.
  • cimidyue
    cimidyue Posts: 11 Forumite
    My objection to this is precisely what Roger says, their weasel words: "Because we think age should have its advantages... a new set of benefits... " and worst of all perhaps "upgrade..." !
    The letter is misleading and seems to be worded to fool over 60's into thinking their terms have improved, when in fact it's a complete downgrade. A discount is much more valuable than the ability to spend later, not to mention the loss of points! Of course they don't have to give anything off, but at least be honest about it... hang on.. no chance...weren't they in the headlines for moving offshore to avoid tax recently? That's private equity for you!
  • harrys_nan
    harrys_nan Posts: 1,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Superdrug is cheaper anyway, rarely shop at Boots with or without the discount
    Treat other's how you like to be treated.

Harry born 23/09/2008
    New baby grandson, Louie born 28/06/2012,
    Proud nanny to two beautiful boys :j
    And now I have the joy of having my foster granddaughter becoming my real granddaughter. Can't ask for anything better

UPDATE,
    As of today 180919. my granddaughter is now my official granddaughter, adoption finally granted
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Interdental brushes were on 3 for 2 offer but I could not see a price ticket. At the checkout I was asked for £8! I declined. My dentist had sold me one for under £2 and in the end I found one in Savers for £1.

The only thing I have bought in Boots in recent months has been Meal Deals.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    As 60 is no longer a 'special' age, I think it is generous of the company to offer the extra points at all, they could have removed the scheme totally or aligned it to the current pension age.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport