Elite 11+ shopping and chat thread

Comments

• izzy65
    izzy65 Posts: 2,862 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I saw my first Christmas lights outside a house last night. Our decorations go up the week before. It makes it more special to leave it until then but I know when the kids were little it was usually earlier.

Ooh mince pies...do you use sweet pastry! I might make some today. I'm sure I've got some big jars of mincemeat somewhere:whistle::whistle:

I can't remember the truffle recipe you mean but if I come across it I will post i:)

I agree a week before is plenty for us too, I use Paul hollywoods sweet pastry recipe, it has ground almonds in, very soft so need to be quite quick in the rolling and cutting or it needs another spell in the fridge, a really lovely pastry though, and I put Philly chees in mine too :):)
    The person who never makes a mistake never learns anything.
  • cjj_2
    cjj_2 Posts: 6,588 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    wendyak wrote: »
    Battling myself at the mo so very glad I don't have to venture out and meet people.
    I really dont know what route my life will take now as cannot imagine returning to work yet :(
    Afternoon all hope everyone is well. Sorry to hear your struggling at minute Wendy. Someone always here to listen and I'm always at the end of a pm. Thinking of you & sending hugs xx
    Cherish those you have in your life because you never know when they won't be there anymore.

No matter how you feel, get up, dress up & never give up.
  • hornetgirl
    hornetgirl Posts: 6,147 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    bubbs wrote: »
    Not much:p:p:p

Think i saw there was something in radio times for a free month
    Thanks, just had a look but I think it only covers Netflix, not Sports :(
  • elainemn
    elainemn Posts: 3,777 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver! Debt-free and Proud!
    TrulyMadly wrote: »
    I saw my first Christmas lights outside a house last night. Our decorations go up the week before. It makes it more special to leave it until then but I know when the kids were little it was usually earlier.

Ooh mince pies...do you use sweet pastry! I might make some today. I'm sure I've got some big jars of mincemeat somewhere:whistle::whistle:

I can't remember the truffle recipe you mean but if I come across it I will post i:)

No!!! They MUST go up earlier. Actually just got my first boxes down from the loft a few minutes ago. My Christmas salt & pepper sets. Just about to dust my ones on display racks and box them up ready to swap over to the Christmas ones. This will take mot of the afternoon to do as 3 big boxes full to get through. Going to feed the cake next then maybe some mince pies with 10p mince meat (probably out of date!) as I will have the oven on anyway. I use sweet paste as find they are much nicer.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    SCC have a round up of. Coupons currently available too:

https://m.facebook.com/notes/savvy-couponing-and-cashback/current-coupons/1647585165490577/

Hth

Anon
  • tbw
    tbw Posts: 5,137 Forumite
    I opened various current and savings accounts earlier this year - one of them was a Nationwide Flex account which had a fixed interest rate of 5% on £2500 provided you paid a certain amount each month and had a couple of DDs set up.

Even without the need for a calculator I reckon that should be £12.50 per month - so how come my interest is only around £10.05 ? Along complicated phone call to Nationwide produced the answer that the interest is 5% AER and only 4.889% gross. I don't understand what that means exactly and, anyway, 4.889% of £2500 is £12.22 - not £10.05 ! The guy at Nationwide took ages to understand my reasoning - am I going completely crackers or are they doing me out of around £25 over the full year ? If they are right then I was mislead over the interest figures right at the start. And now I'm wondering whats happened with my other bank interest figures.
    ELITE 5:2
    # 42
    11st2lbs down to 9st2lbs - another 5lbs gone due to alcohol abuse (head down toilet syndrome)
  • TrulyMadly
    TrulyMadly Posts: 39,754 Forumite
    Cashback Cashier
    dipdap wrote: »
    So I thought I'd try to pop back on to say hello while the kids are out. Usually only time I get for peace is when I'm on the loo :rotfl:

:)

Too much information dippy:rotfl:

Well I've had a lovely morning sorting out my new Amex card and preparing for the Small Shops promotion.

For anyone who's still undecided, my card came through in just over a week and I'm ready to go. It'll be the only card I use now for 3 months as I need to spend £2000 before February 4th to qualify for 20,000 points. I really don't want to go to Marrakesh so might opt for a £100 giftcard instead. There's also 2 free airport lounge passes. Wonder if they'll just let me go in and spend a couple of hours just watching the planes take off while I quaff free glasses of dry white wine and munch olives:rotfl:

I've opted in to the small shops promotion and started a list. I'm trying to buy stuff that I would normally use anyway so as not to incur any extra cost.
    Already I have

Local Fish and chip shop
    Coffees shops
    A local chemist
    A gift shop which I love....thinking Christmas presents:D
    Mr TM' s Christmas do is at a restaurant which is participating and he would be paying by card anyway

I have a second list for shops I need to check out in the next month ahead of the promotion starting just to see if there's any bargAins.

It's been a rainy morning well spent. Amazingly Mr TM is up for getting involved as it doesn't involve coupons or anything illegal:rotfl::rotfl:
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • TrulyMadly
    Cashback Cashier
    locarr wrote: »
    Todays kids wouldn't know how to make one, firework nights ruled .

14910346_1336957039656185_8104180959448000428_n.jpg?oh=e5176e86da822f30ec18a2b812e137cb&oe=589BE983

Second on the left, front row is Alan Hall and I used to go out with him in year 5. He went on to become a bank manager for Barclays. I've only seen once since and we were in a baby shop buying prams simultaneously. We never acknowledged each other but I pondered over how his wife looked a lot like me:eek:

Or it might not be him. I'm not sure now I've had a good look:o
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • TrulyMadly
    Cashback Cashier
    Better move my bottom.... OH has put his jacket on!

Harrogate here we come...

The place won't know what's hit it:o:eek:

:p
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
  • TrulyMadly
    Cashback Cashier
    wendyak wrote: »
    Battling myself at the mo so very glad I don't have to venture out and meet people.
    I really dont know what route my life will take now as cannot imagine returning to work yet :(

You've had problems with work for as long as I can remember wendy:o
    Hoping the time off givies you a chance to reassess the way forward:A
    To do is to be. Rousseau
    To be is to do. Sartre
    Do be do be do. Sinatra
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts