Second hand jewellery

I have an opal ring worth around £400, but all my local second hand jewellery buyers are just interested in the weight of the gold, when the opal itself is a decent one and that is where most of the value is, it is a decent opal. If I sell it for scrap, I'll only get around £70 for it.

Are there any online companies who buy jewellery, and take into account the gemstone that is set within it? Or does anyone know any in the North East of England.

The company that sold it to me, put it in their window for a price tag of £420 on a commission basis, but they closed down the shop a couple of weeks later, so I had to take it back home again. That's how I know it's worth £400.

Any ideas? I don't want to scrap it, it's a good piece of jewellery for someone. I also don't want to put it on ebay, as it's hard to capture a true image of the opal.

Comments

• chevalier
    chevalier Posts: 7,937 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    i have no idea whether this is possible, but have you thought about putting it into auction? obviously they take a cut and you won't get as much as it is worth, but you might get more than the scrap value.
    chev
    I want a job that is less than an hour driving away from my house! Are you listening universe?
  • 99rb99
    99rb99 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    chevalier wrote: »
    i have no idea whether this is possible, but have you thought about putting it into auction? obviously they take a cut and you won't get as much as it is worth, but you might get more than the scrap value.
    chev

That's a good idea, I don't know why I hadn't thought of it :beer:, even if I didn't get the amount it's truly worth, then it really wouldn't matter 'cos it's been stuck in a drawer making nothing for years and years, as I didn't know how to sell it :T
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Its only worth that becasue thats what a retailer would charge for it and thats what if would cost you to replace it by buying it from a jeweller.

And its only worth what people will pay for it,

Its worth less that half of that if you are selling ti privately.
    Its the way of the world.

Why not wear it, or keep it for a girl relative..

I have one with a lovely opal in it with 3 diamonds on both shoulders. A second hand dealer said £130 for it. A jeweller said £200 but the last time I sold a diamond ring, I sold it to a jeweller for £125, it was in his window within a couple of days for £375.

But thats life
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,877 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    My ex wife's engagement ring cost just shy of a grand.

After we divorced I sold it for £60.

Horses for courses eh !!
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • 99rb99
    99rb99 Posts: 36 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    McKneff wrote: »
    Its only worth that becasue thats what a retailer would charge for it and thats what if would cost you to replace it by buying it from a jeweller.

And its only worth what people will pay for it,

Its worth less that half of that if you are selling ti privately.
    Its the way of the world.

Why not wear it, or keep it for a girl relative..

I have one with a lovely opal in it with 3 diamonds on both shoulders. A second hand dealer said £130 for it. A jeweller said £200 but the last time I sold a diamond ring, I sold it to a jeweller for £125, it was in his window within a couple of days for £375.

But thats life

I can't wear it, it was off my ex-husband, and even when we were together I didn't wear it. I'm not really a jewellery person, but I appreciate the opal itself is stunning. I also don't have a girl relative, as I have a son.

Auctions the way to go I recon :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,823 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sons get married, grand daughters come along..................

Thats where mine is going when I pop me clogs, luckilly one of them is a Libran.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport