Missing Shares

My GF suffers from bipolar 1and recently I learned that she had some shares held by a company called Stocktrade. The shares are held in some sort of electronic form. I'm not to sure what that means

Anyway the firm ceased doing this type of business some years back and I assumed they wrote and told her this but she didn't do anything about and we are both now wondering where are these shares.

I do appreciate that the first port of call would be Stocktrade but before contacting them I'm trying to find out what the process will be in obtaining the shares. How does she go about getting them back

If there is anyone on the board with insight into this type of problem and feels it better to answer this type of question privately then please pm me

Of course all clouds have silver linings; and anyone who knows about bipolar will appreciate that at least she wasn't able to dispose of them during her last spending trip. :)

Comments

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Stocktrade is now a division of Alliance Trust Savings Limited

In May 2015 the Board of Brewin Dolphin agreed to sell the Stocktrade business to Alliance Trust Savings. That sale was completed at the end of April 2016 and Stocktrade is now a division of Alliance Trust Savings Limited.

The accounts of some Stocktrade clients have now been transferred in to the name of Alliance Trust Savings. If that included you, Alliance Trust Savings will have written to you with details of your new Alliance Trust Savings Account. If you have any queries on this account and the services Alliance Trust Savings provide, go to https://www.alliancetrustsavings.co.uk or call 01382 573737 (lines are open 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday and calls may be recorded for security monitoring purposes).

Other clients continue to use the Stocktrade branded services, as now provided by Alliance Trust Savings Limited. If this includes you, please keep using your Stocktrade services as normal.

We will have written to you to let you know about our becoming a part of Alliance Trust Savings Limited, and what this means for you. However, if you have any questions about this please call us on 0131 240 0400 (lines are open 8am to 5pm Monday to Friday and calls may be recorded for security and monitoring purposes.)
  • cloud_dog
    cloud_dog Posts: 6,043 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Stocktrade was sold to Alliance Trust Savings

You (your GF) need to contact them to confirm the account and the status of the account. The investment will still be in your GF name.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True :D

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
  • kah22
    kah22 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    A big thank you to AnotherJoe the GF and I will certainly follow this up
  • bobobski
    bobobski Posts: 771 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    kah22 wrote: »
    My GF suffers from bipolar 1

I don't get the relevance, but there are ways not to "suffer" with it.
  • kah22
    bobobski wrote: »
    I don't get the relevance, but there are ways not to "suffer" with it.
    No relevance as such but it puts the issue in some sort of human perspective and indicates that it wasn't just carelessness on my GF behalf
  • kah22
    I don't want to get into a long debate with you. I never said she IS bipolar I said she SUFFERS from bipolar and I'm in a better place to judge if she's suffering than you are.

Again I'm in a better position to know why her shares got lost; the details don't matter but it was down to the way a particular bipolar episode affected her.

Finally, I don't have to forgive her for she has nothing to be forgiven for. Our relationship means that I have to support her and that's exactly what I am doing, maybe not the way you'd like but again I'm in a better position to understand than you are.

Let that be an end of it
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport