Apple Pay, which shops can you use it for more than £30?

Options

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How big is the market; firstly requires an iOS product and then said person wants to the spend over the £30 standard contactless limit.

I would imagine (most) people expect to use Chip and Pin for high value transactions.
  • bonjan
    bonjan Posts: 75 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Keep in mind that the limit does not only depend on the shop but also on the bank that issues the card.
    I recently attempted to pay for a Transferwise transfer using Apple Pay on my phone for £120 (so not a contactless transaction but an online transaction instead).
    Failed after multiple attempts of using my Lloyds debit card. When I tried with a TSB debit card it went through immediately.
    A phone call to Lloyds revealed that they have a cap of £30 per transaction for all Apple Pay payments, whether contactless or online doesn't matter, it's up to £30 full stop.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 May 2016 at 9:46PM
    Options
    Well according to here All Morrison's stores, Petrol Stations and Local Stores since last year, no mention of limits though.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Heng_Leng wrote: »
    How big is the market; firstly requires an iOS product and then said person wants to the spend over the £30 standard contactless limit.

I would imagine (most) people expect to use Chip and Pin for high value transactions.
    The advantage to me is the extra security of Apple Pay. Not least of which is that it doesn't share your bank details with the store and, if I understand correctly, the details it does share are a "one off", so even if the terminal has been hacked the details collected won't work for another transaction. You can keep your contactless cards wrapped in foil away from malicious scanners too.

In addition, you can use a credit card with Apple Pay to buy a trivial item, leaving your money earning interest in your current account for up to a month or so... None of my current cards are contactless, so having a new iPhone means I can pay by contactless before being issued with a contactless card.
  • Paul_1977
    Paul_1977 Posts: 992 Forumite
    Options
    I have had to ditch Apple pay for TFL, at some stations it DOES NOT WORK.

Will take several attempts for the reader to let me though the barrier. Its at the stations with the big old readers. It will work in the end, but why bother. I can just scan my debit card and be though the barrier in a second.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Waitrose are now accepting more than £30 with Apple Pay, at least in their Waterlooville branch. The contactless symbol pops up on the card reader for all amounts and payments with iphone / Apple watch work like a dream.

It appears the checkout staff hasn't been informed about the change as they keep telling people that the limit is £30, which it obviously remains to be for normal contactless card payments.
  • LindaMary
    LindaMary Posts: 181 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    No limit at Lidl now :)
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 August 2016 at 4:09PM
    Options
    bonjan wrote: »
    Keep in mind that the limit does not only depend on the shop but also on the bank that issues the card.
    I recently attempted to pay for a Transferwise transfer using Apple Pay on my phone for £120 (so not a contactless transaction but an online transaction instead).
    Failed after multiple attempts of using my Lloyds debit card. When I tried with a TSB debit card it went through immediately.
    A phone call to Lloyds revealed that they have a cap of £30 per transaction for all Apple Pay payments, whether contactless or online doesn't matter, it's up to £30 full stop.

They must be mistaken as I have used Apple Pay through the Mondo App to top up my Mondo card with £100 and it has all worked fine. Thats from a Lloyds Debit Card.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    For me, Apple Pay / Android Pay is just a step too far in laziness.

People forget their pin numbers because they don't bother with them after using Contactless so much. It's not available everywhere so you're bound to run into problems.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    For me, Apple Pay / Android Pay is just a step too far in laziness.

People forget their pin numbers because they don't bother with them after using Contactless so much. It's not available everywhere so you're bound to run into problems.

It's clearly not for you then, as you don't appear to be seeking the benefits from the added security and the convenience that comes with Apple Pay / Android Pay.

I do think though you underestimate the capacity of the lazy folk to remember their PIN.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure