Interviews, when familiarity goes too far?

Hi all, think we all know that for many jobs, it's who you know, not what you know. But how far is too far?!
There is a senior role in our company that became available, before the role was advertised, the UK boss announced an old colleague was going to visit to see 'what the company was like' (note:the job is now advertised) . He spent five hours today with them (for someone who is lucky to give senior managers an hour and certainly would never spend any time with other candidates), and ensured they were introduced to the full management team (basically anyone who would be in the interview process), and in front of numerous people asked if he had pursuaded them 'to apply'.
I would also note they would be a direct report to him.
I should admit (if you hadn't guessed!) I was considering going for the role, but the fawning over this old colleague has distinctly put me off applying (one horse race?!).

This just sour grapes on my behalf, part and parcel of business, or over stepping the mark? Not that I feel I could do anything about it (without damaging my own reputation)

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Difficult shout .... you're right he's got the job, even before the advert goes up .... or does he?

While it looks like it - it might be that the current boss actually has to suck up to this old chap, for other connection reasons etc ... and he's silently hoping somebody else will apply that the job can go to, whereupon he'll cite that it was "out of his hands old chap" to the chap whose 4rse he licked today.

Trouble is ... you don't know - and if this chap does get the job and you applied, he might take a dislike to you and ensure your desk is nearest the door straight away ...

Tough call....

"The best man" rarely wins ... it's usually about who you know, or are connected to, or how slippery and smoothly you can operate. He also wouldn't have "worked harder" than you if he did get the job ... another key phrase that is annoying.... most people don't work harder than others, they're luckier or know more people.
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    I wouldn't be bothered! Just apply for it like.

If nothing else, it puts you on the radar as a possible candidate in the future. Plus you'll probably be able to get some feedback from them which may come in helpful.
  • Piscean1991
    Piscean1991 Posts: 423
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I would say apply. You might be surprised. At OH's workplace (and my old workplace), two of his colleagues applied for a senior leadership post which was advertised internally.

Everybody thought it was the woman's job. She had spent 2 years licking management's bottoms and was very "present" in the school. Also. Nobody wanted her to get it because she was so bossy and well, just very dramatic but still, everyone (including her) assumed it was her job before the interviews even happened.

Roll round to interview day, the guy who applied got it. She'd basically come across as thinking the job was hers, she'd come across really aggressive and actually quite underprepared and it turned the interview panel right off her.

Yes, a lot of the time, jobs do get given based on "who you know" but that can also lead to people shooting themselves in the foot so it's worth throwing your hat in the ring even if chances are quite slim. Prepare as thoroughly as you would for an external interview.

You also don't know what the rest of the management team are thinking about this guy. Bear in mind, if this guy gets the job, he's completely new to the company. You're not. Just being friends with the big boss does not make him established or respected. In fact, he might even be viewed as the big boss's lapdog. As a brand new person, he's unlikely to come in and start making enemies straight away. If he did, it would be very unwise.

To answer your question, I think 5 hours is quite extensive. A visit is fine but that's excessive. I think there might be an element of jealousy on your part but it is overstepping the mark. You are right that there is nothing you can do without damaging your own reputation though so try to put it out of your mind.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Thats just Corporate life for you. Make connections or make the right people like you and you will be the guy with the guaranteed job one day.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    People employ people, not always the best qualified, best cv or most obvious candidate. This person is known to them, he may have skills/experience they want or perhaps the senior manager just knows he can work well with him, they can employ whoever they want.

I'd still apply, and I'd make sure I made an impression - who knows maybe the guy won't take the role, maybe he won't last because friendship aside he isn't the best fit, you'll have made yourself an option.

Good luck!
  • FredG
    FredG Posts: 213 Forumite
    It's not always cut and dried. I applied for my current IT job a year ago from a position where as a 1st Line Analyst my competition was my boss and two 2nd Line guys, one of whom had done a similar job before and been demoted within the company and the other who was highly regarded and was good friends with the manager of the team I applied to who was also on the interviewing panel.

The interview was not role specific and was a high level, technical grilling to ascertain overall knowledge. I picked up the highest interview score but there was some doubt over promoting someone so quickly. After much discussion between the manager and his senior manager I was offered the role based on my results and my attitude/work history.

Don't think you're immediately ruled out. Go and impress them.
  • Giblets
    Giblets Posts: 62
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I spoke to one of my colleagues, they went for another role at the company, the same manager invited a candidate, interviewed and awarded them the role. Rumour is the HR manager warned against it, it's ok though, we have a new HR manager now!
    I've mentioned the situation to my international business unit managers, they are already surprised as they should normally be involved as it is their business unit.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    If you fancy the job apply. If you don't get it at least its clear you wish to progress and have ambition, so might be considered for other things. I once applied for a promotion and virtually everyone was either shocked or assumed I wouldn't get it (thanks guys!) . They assumed because I am quiet and keep my successes to myself etc that I had no ambition. Don't risk getting overlooked.
    Sure sometimes favoritism wins but you could actually do better in the interview or have some skills he doesn't, so don't just make way for someone else.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure