Greece - what a pickle - what would YOU do?

So what would you do if restrictions were looming on your account(s)?

Join the queue (or push some across online?!) or have more (blind?) confidence?

Did you join the queues at Northern Rock or any other institution in the past?

Genuinely interested.

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I'd get my money out (if I had somewhere safe to store it) and exchange some of it into USD (or even, God help us, GBP). A bit of gold might not go amiss either.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Time that GB paid for the Elgin Marbles, should go some way to helping the Greeks.
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,654 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    But there are restrictions on UK bank accounts.
    How much money can you draw from an ATM per day?

How much money can you draw over the counter in branch?

Are we all aware of the new phenomena of being asked what you want the money for if you ask for a chunk of cash over the counter?

The UK banks dont have enough money either. They only have entries in a ledger..
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
  • Koicarp
    Koicarp Posts: 323 Forumite
    I took most of my balance out of my greek account a few weeks back and will use the rest to pay my leccy bill online later today. Not sure when payment will be processed though?
  • veryintrigued
    veryintrigued Posts: 3,843 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    But there are restrictions on UK bank accounts.
    How much money can you draw from an ATM per day?

How much money can you draw over the counter in branch?

Are we all aware of the new phenomena of being asked what you want the money for if you ask for a chunk of cash over the counter?

The UK banks dont have enough money either. They only have entries in a ledger..

I guess its advantageous for those of us with multiple accounts and online access that we'd be able to transfer quite a lot more than the £300/£500/whatever the ATM limits are - assuming there was money available and these online limits werent tightened.

But where to move it to?!
  • Aretnap
    Aretnap Posts: 5,214 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Foreign bank accounts. Foreign bonds. Company shares (though preferably not shares in Greek banks). Even a wad of Euros buried in the back garden. They're all likely to be preferable to leaving your money in the Greek banking system right now, due to the strong likelihood that your Greek bank account will be redenominated into Drachmas, which will inevitably have less spending power than the Euros which were in there last week.

Of course, if you haven't already got your money out of your Greek bank account it's probably already too late to take out more than your daily cash machine withdrawal limit. When it comes to banking runs, he who panics first panics best.
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Time that GB paid for the Elgin Marbles, should go some way to helping the Greeks.
    How much would they fetch? Let's be wildly optimistic and say £50,000,000? That'd be about 0.02% of the debt
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    ColdIron wrote: »
    How much would they fetch? Let's be wildly optimistic and say £50,000,000? That'd be about 0.02% of the debt

It's a start, Cold Iron, maybe other countries will also pay for what they have stolen from Greece.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ken68 wrote: »

Time that Greece paid for British military help in their war for independence and the Second World War.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • abdul56
    abdul56 Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The crisis isnt as a result of artifacts being taken in the past. But actions of the past political elite, to live beyond there means and not do the fiscal diligence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure