Naked wines - watch your bank account

I received a £40 off voucher from Naked Wines after I spent a bit of money on Amazon.
I am not stupid - I know that I had to spend £40 - ish to get this £40 off. But the wines were a bit different so I did. Its still quite reasonable - £44.95 for 12 bottles of ok wine. I got the wine and the money was taken from my account.

But today - they have taken an unauthorised £20! I have asked them for it back and told them it is theft in my view; but thought I'd warn others. Watch this space.

A.

Comments

• prettypennies
    prettypennies Posts: 1,541
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 December 2009 at 9:07PM
    Usually, when you take up the £40 voucher offer, you also agree to put £20 a month into your cashback wine account. It does state this on the voucher.
    http://www.nakedwines.com/cashback/index.htm
    The money in your cashback account then can be put towards future wine purchases. I have been buying from Naked wines for over a year now and they are a really great company. I have been offered a trip to one of their wine producers in France and to several local wine tastings.
    They are normally very good at reimbursing customers who have not understood the cashback concept, so if you don't want to continue buying from them, give them a call and I'n am sure they will sort things out for you.

If you do like good wines though and want to share your opinions on them with likeminded people, it really is worth getting invloved in their online community. You earn 33% cashback on all wine purchases (which goes into your wine account for future purchases) Unlike other wine companies, they will only send cases you order.

Hope you get things sorted :o
    Twins, twice the laughs, twice the fun, twice the mess!:j:j
  • rsykes2000
    rsykes2000 Posts: 2,494
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Another case of not reading what they are doing then coming on here crying 'scam' 'theft' etc...
  • dinglebert
    dinglebert Posts: 1,224
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    The whole cashback thing on Naked wines is very clear and you have to make a point of clicking on it to start it off. You can quite easily not do the cashback or start the winebank and just buy the wine with the £40 discount. I joined a couple of days ago with a £40 cashback. Ordered 18 bottles with a gift, got the £40 discount, joined the winebank got £23 added to it from my 33% back and they added £20 for good luck so now have just under £50 sitting in the wine bank. Effectively I paid £30 for 18 bottles of great quality wine. Can't complain at all.
  • barvid
    barvid Posts: 405 Forumite
    rsykes2000 wrote: »
    Another case of not reading what they are doing then coming on here crying 'scam' 'theft' etc...

Yes. Sick to death of all these "SCAM!!" posts which just turn out to be mistakes, errors, misunderstandings etc. The idea that big, High Street companies are all engaged in devious illegal scams (in the true sense of the word) is just plainly ridiculous. Wish people would calm down a bit!
  • rsykes2000 and barvid
    This is a very scornful nation isn't it?
    Scorn is what makes forums intolerable
  • barvid
    barvid Posts: 405 Forumite
    Stick around a bit, mdrefach, and you'll soon get tired of all the SCAM!!!!!! threads which turn out to be nothing of the sort...
  • biscit
    biscit Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    mdrefach wrote: »
    rsykes2000 and barvid
    This is a very scornful nation isn't it?
    Scorn is what makes forums intolerable

No, what makes forums intolerable is people who make mistakes and loudly blame others. And also people who make mistakes and behave as if having themselves corrected on their error is some sort of slap in the face.

We should all be more accepting of the consequences of our actions. That will make the world more tolerable.
  • rsykes2000
    rsykes2000 Posts: 2,494
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    biscit wrote: »
    No, what makes forums intolerable is people who make mistakes and loudly blame others. And also people who make mistakes and behave as if having themselves corrected on their error is some sort of slap in the face.

We should all be more accepting of the consequences of our actions. That will make the world more tolerable.

Well said, I couldn't agree more.
  • I got a letter with my first order asking 'did you realise' i was about to contribute £20 pm to my new wine account. I decided to think about this, in the meantime NakedWines took £20 from my debit card. I did not think a repeat use of my card would be legal, wasn't happy so i rang them. They were excellent and reimbursed my card immediately, then scratched it from my account. I loved the concept but they were unable to set-up a direct debit which i would have been happy with. Why not ? Wines are ace, service is brilliant, but i don't want anyone in control of my debit card !
  • Moglex
    Moglex Posts: 1,581
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Well, this is interesting.

As a result of this thread I've had a look at their site and it seems quite promising.

It seems even being the subject of a vent on MSE can give companies useful publicity and get them new customers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback