JSA 'New Deal' Travel pass- half price tickets

Hello,

To anyone who is currently on JSA 'New Deal' scheme. Something the jobcentre may have omitted to tell you :

You are entitled to A 'New Deal' train and bus pass. These entitle you to half price fares for around 3 months. You just need to ask at the jobcentre and fill in a simple form with 2 passport photos.
When you buy a ticket you show it and get it half price

They have a habit of not mentioning this scheme to you .
But it can save you quite a lot if your travelling a lot on public transport.:T

Comments

• I have a new deal card and was told i had to register it first, is this true or can I use it without registering it to my oyster
  • tsimehC
    tsimehC Posts: 763 Forumite
    This isn't applicable to everyone. Only those on New Deal and Flexible New Deal. Do you not also need to be claiming JSA for over six months?
  • If you have been claiming job seekers allowance for 6months or more & going on to new deal you will get a new deal bus pass which entitles you to a child's fare :)
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Hello,

To anyone who is currently on JSA 'New Deal' scheme. Something the jobcentre may have omitted to tell you :

You are entitled to A 'New Deal' train and bus pass. These entitle you to half price fares for around 3 months. You just need to ask at the jobcentre and fill in a simple form with 2 passport photos.
    When you buy a ticket you show it and get it half price

They have a habit of not mentioning this scheme to you .
    But it can save you quite a lot if your travelling a lot on public transport.:T

the new deal travel card ended in this area ages ago. apparently the bus companies didnt like people useing it to go to the pub on a night.
  • The New Deal Travelcard scheme is a voluntary arrangment with some bus companies and train companies. However, businesses are under no obligation to sign up to the scheme and many do not-therefore it will depend on where you live as to whether it will be applicable and also, if it will be of any use to you. In my area the major bus company will not sign up to the scheme so it is not very useful to many and the cost of the passport photos is more than the savings they would make!
  • changlyn8
    changlyn8 Posts: 38 Forumite
    The scheme seems great but trust me getting the thing activated is one big headache all the Oyster Card providers said that they could not assist.
    Over ground stations, 4 get it everyone says U have 2 go to an underground station but then there is no guarantee the staff R trained 2 help.

It's a hard life even when u get the card.
    Pity U cannot just link your card online now that would be PERFECT.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure