New Year, New Diary

Comments

• dottydebts
    dottydebts Posts: 89 Forumite
    NSD today! I should feel happier about this, but work has put me in a bad mood. I hate letting something that happened at work ruin my evening, but it really has today.

Doesn't help that I have seem to have had an ongoing cold since the beginning of autumn and my entire body just aches.

I am going to try and clean my anger away tackling the kitchen and living room and then going to have an early night tonight, and hopefully will wake up in a better mood tomorrow.

I might treat myself to a fizzy drink tomorrow morning, which will cost about £1 but we will see. I want to, and I have the money available in my treats budget (yes, I am counting a sugary drink as a treat) but I also want to spend as little as possible over the next week and a half so I have more excess to throw at debts/savings. Such a dilemma.
  • dottydebts
    New challenge until payday - only spend the cash I have left in my envelopes! I have just counted it all out and re-sorted it into the following categories:

Food - £10.50 (pretty much what is left in my food budget anyway!)
    Petrol - £31 (I always aim for £30 when filling up, but always seem to go over slightly!)
    Treats - About £10 (Basically all of the other coins I had remaining over the value of 20p!)

10ps, 5ps, 2ps and 1ps have been taken out ready to go into my spare change pot for christmas, taking it's total to just over £35! (yes, I count my change and add it to my spreadsheet before I save it)

If I manage this, I will have about £160 to send to savings/debts (split) when I get paid on the 31st! 10 days to go!!
  • dottydebts
    Another week almost done! Unfortunately, it didn't turn out to be the MSE week I had hoped for, but I have enjoyed it.

I met up with friends for dinner earlier in the week, which was lovely and I need to do it more often. I have a habit of turning into a real hermit and just lock myself away at home which I need to stop doing.

Me and hubby also had a bit of a 'date night' last night with a chinese takeaway.

I do still have £75 in my budget to last until Friday though, which is good news. I have paid £50 into savings, and another £20 to debts this week so my savings accounts are looking much healthier and I've made a bit of a head start on next month's debt busting too. I'm still hoping to have a bit more money to throw at something come Friday, but we will see! Even if it is just £20 I will be happy!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I always think you need to have the occasional treat .

Sounds like you are doing well so far !
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend
  • dottydebts
    I have made an error. After food shop and filling up with petrol today, I thought I had £34 left to last until Friday, with £6 change in my purse.

I then checked my MBNA account, and realised my direct debit comes out on Wednesday. That is £25. It is ok, and I have the money there to cover it, just annoying as I thought I was going to be entering next month with £30 in my bank account, but I'm not. I will have £9.

So now comes my internal dilemma. Do I pay the £25 out of this month's money, or do I replace the money when I get paid and send it to savings? If I pay it from this month's money, it will up this month's payment to £75, and I have budgeted for £75 to pay from next month so I guess it would be just starting a month early. BUT I am also saving to get my car fixed (damage from an accident, but still able to drive it) which will cost around £400. That £30 would up my pot for this to almost £100, bringing me almost 1/4 of the way there.

In my head, this direct debit didn't come out until the 31st, so I was counting it as next month's payment anyway but now I am just confused (and kinda annoyed too that I didn't check this earlier).

ALSO if I pay it from this month's money, am I going to remember this late-in-the-month direct debit next month, or am I going to end up in the same situation with £30 to my name and £25 of it being taken 2 days before pay day?

Sorry for the ramble... I just can't get my head around what to do!
  • dottydebts
    I have made it to pay day within budget!!

I decided to pay the £25 direct debit from my remaining budget, and sent £12 to savings (what was left over) and I'm happy with this decision.

I'm excited to start fresh with my budget on Saturday as hoping for a NSD tomorrow :)
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    dottydebts wrote: »
    I have made it to pay day within budget!!

I decided to pay the £25 direct debit from my remaining budget, and sent £12 to savings (what was left over) and I'm happy with this decision.

I'm excited to start fresh with my budget on Saturday as hoping for a NSD tomorrow :)

:T go you dotty.
    well done and a positive start to a new budget.
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • dottydebts
    Thanks motivated!

Definitely hoping that a 4 week month will be easier to manage than this long one! Having only £12 remaining in my bank account was making me feel slightly anxious!
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    dottydebts wrote: »
    Thanks motivated!

Definitely hoping that a 4 week month will be easier to manage than this long one! Having only £12 remaining in my bank account was making me feel slightly anxious!

But you made it through :beer:

Its quite tiring this debt busting isn't it. Keep at it :)
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • dottydebts
    Another month, another budget! This month is looking like it's going to be pretty tight with nothing extra coming in but I'm determined to keep up with the PADs to the debt and the savings, even if it means my monthly budget is reduced.

I have some time off work this month, so hoping my petrol will come to less than normal, and I am also hoping to eat from the cupboards more as I wont need to buy specific lunch foods while I'm off.

So far this month, I have spent 3.50 on some cleaning products, and tomorrow will be a small food shop (aiming for £15).

Last month's figures:

Travel: 87.54/100 (£12.46 remaining)
    Food: 101.81/100 (£1.82 over)
    Treats: 50.03/80 (£29.97 remaining)
    Eating Out: 57.05/50 (£7.05 over)

Emergency Fund: £32.00/1000
    Fix-the-Car Fund: £65.25/600
    Christmas Fund: £56.02/500

Total debt paid: £384.38
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories