PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Buying a houseboat

I am vaguely thinking of moving

During a search of available properties I came across a new houseboat with a permanent mooring at my local marina. And very nice it is too. 60 ft long - tastefully decorated - a bit of a man vpcave - big telly, drinks fridge etc

I've never thought of living on a houseboat before but I can see the attractions. I'm aware of some of the downsides - mooring fees, insurance, licence, maintenance etc. I don't need that much space - my best friend reckons I could live in a hotel room. I don't come with much baggage - it's me and my cat really

Internet and Sky Sports are important to me. Mid 60s now and like my days in front of the telly watching cricket, rugby, golf etc. The marina has wi fi - I've asked about provision for TV

Just wondered if anyone with experience could comment on the pros and cons. It may well not happen but it's piqued my interest

Comments

• NeilCr
    NeilCr Posts: 4,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Residential mooring.

Happy to do research (indeed have done some) but asking on here as it's a forum I use quite a lot and my experience is that you can get answers from many different sources
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    see edited links above
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,623 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Get a proper marine survey on any boat you're seriously thinking of buying.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • During the week I rent a room in a house, next to a marina and river mooring. My landlords know a few of the permanent residents, and they are without doubt the happiest yet grubbiest people I've met.
    It's quite nice to be taken to the local pub by boat too. It's 1/2 mile as the crow flies, 3/4 mile by boat and 12 miles by road.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I have a friend who lives on a narrowboat. 6 months of the year permanently moored up near Banbury in a marina, 6 months travelling around. I think he has to continue paying for his mooringsbtruoughbteh summer though or he'd lose them. I suspect when he gets to no longer be able to do the cruising he may pack it in.

It started out of financial necessity but he likes the lifestyle now, kudos to him I've done a few weeks on the canals on holidays with friends, but locks and the like solo, I wouldn't fancy.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    "At your age...." all it'd take is one trip to that beer fridge in early January, followed by missing your footing getting onto the bank to pop to the car for something and you're in Hospital with a broken leg, living in an odd place to access and nobody can work out how you can be sent home in a wheelchair with a broken leg when you live alone in a boat.

In my opinion, it's not really an ideal long-term solution for somebody "getting on" who lives alone because something new will start to creak every day - and I'm not talking about the boat!
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Whatever floats your boat. Go for it!
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Are you looking to buy or rent?

Buy I would not recommend as pasturens new points out this will unlikely be able to be a permanent home and you will at some point have the hassle of having to sell it, maybe quickly at a loss depending on how your health needs are as you get older.

Rent, go for it hopefully you have plenty of healthy years ahead of you so enjoy it. Still consider buying if you can afford to take a loss if the worse happens and you need to sell quick to move to a more suitable home.
  • AFF8879
    AFF8879 Posts: 651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Buying a houseboat is not something to do on a whim (which is what it sounds like from your post)...not a glamorous lifestyle for sure, especially in the winter months it can get pretty torrid.

You'd be much better off / more comfortable buying a small flat if possible. Especially given your age, there are large numbers of developments specifically for over 50s/55s/60s where you buy at a reduced rate.

Houseboats depreciate in value like other vehicles, so it becomes extremely difficult to move back to land the longer you spend there. And as PasturesNew highlighted, I'm sure you're fit and healthy now but I would feel a bit vulnerable if I was single on a houseboat as I began to enter old age. Much rather have the warmth, accessibility and comfort of a nice cosy flat!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure