PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Negotiate price on new build

Options

Comments

• martin1018
    Options
    Bumping this back up - please tell us how you do on Saturday.
  • The.Real.Me
    Options
    martin1018 wrote: »
    Bumping this back up - please tell us how you do on Saturday.

I will report back

Thanks again
  • sarkin
    sarkin Posts: 785 Forumite
    Options
    Just to let you know I had an email from wooloich yesterday they are not lending on any new builds upto 2 years old without 35% deposit and as it is thier money you can see how much they think newbuild flats are over valued. Also Alliance and Liecster will not lend on newbuilds without 30% deposit. So i would offer 30% lower at least if you must buy a newbuild.
  • mr.broderick
    Options
    sarkin wrote: »
    Just to let you know I had an email from wooloich yesterday they are not lending on any new builds upto 2 years old without 35% deposit and as it is thier money you can see how much they think newbuild flats are over valued. Also Alliance and Liecster will not lend on newbuilds without 30% deposit. So i would offer 30% lower at least if you must buy a newbuild.

Thats odd a guy who works at our place has just bought a new house in wigan for £145000, it's a 2 bed town house he got a 95% mortgage with alliance & leicester, that's strange isn't it ? He was telling me yesterday what rate he was getting.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,813 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thats odd a guy who works at our place has just bought a new house in wigan for £145000, it's a 2 bed town house he got a 95% mortgage with alliance & leicester, that's strange isn't it ? He was telling me yesterday what rate he was getting.

I'm thinking it's newbuild flats :confused: makes more sense than a sudden aversion to all new builds. Overpriced they might be, but not by that much compared tot he rest of the market. Flats, certainly.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I am a new build sales negotiator!!

Am interested to see how you are getting on.

You say that the negotiator told you that you couldn't have an appointment because there were 19 legal completions that week. This would suggest that the builder's financial year end was December 31st. The best deals are always to be had at financial year end.

Don't panic though because most builders also have "quarter targets" and Easter can also be very important to them. If you are looking for a March legal completion you should have some leverage.

When negotiating be pleasant and friendly - you want the negotiator to like you - believe me some negotiators can be a bit tempremental
    (not me, of course, I'm always too busy thinking about my commission!! - apart from which I'm just a very nice person).

Seriously, your negotiator wants to make the sale and will help you get the best deal - remember the best deal has to be a win-win situation for you and the builder. (You don't want to buy a house from a builder who then goes bust).

Before you even attend a meeting with the negotiator check out what other builders in their area are offering. A good negotiator will know what the competition is up to - you need to know too.

Whilst you need to get the biggest cash discount you can, be flexible with the "goodies". Don't go for white goods, curtains etc - however, you may have to accept "free carpets" if they have already been fitted.

My best tip is don't offer anything. Ask them what they can do. They may go in low - you might get a pleasant surprise. If you are not happy with their offer then say something like "I'm sorry but that is rather less than I was hoping for". Then - here's the important bit - SHUT UP, DON'T SAY ANOTHER WORD. MAKE THE NEGOTIATOR COME BACK WITH ANOTHER OFFER.

The big trick in getting your way when negotiating is to let the other person do most of the talking. Most people in a negotiating situation find silence unbearable - stick it out and make the negotiator break the silence. This puts you in the driving seat.

If the negotiator doesn't make an offer at this stage you must ask them for a better offer. Again do not mention any figures whatsoever. Don't name your price until you absolutely have to.

When it comes to talking figures, go in lower and be prepared to negotiate up. Try not to give away too much financial information - play your cards close to your chest. By the way - unless the builder is absolutely desperate a 40% discount seems unlikely. 10 to 15% is about the average.

Caution - Make sure the sale of your property is safe. If you have exchanged contracts your sale is guaranteed and you will be in a very strong negotiating position. If not, then I'm afraid - from both the negotiators and the builders point of view - you are not a guaranteed purchase - your sale could fall through. Sounds tough but it's the truth.

Your deal will be tied into a quick exchange of contracts, either 4 or 6 weeks. Most builders are getting very tough on this. Your reservation fee will be non-refundable so please make sure your sale is safe before you committ yourself.

Go shopping after you have exchanged contracts - even if it means staying with relatives or renting for a while. You will pick up the best bargain once the builder knows your money is safe in the bank.

Good luck.
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    Everything from the above poster has come from someone working for a builder/developer and should be taken as such. (After all a they have a vested interest in keeping prices high).

While I would not necessarily disagree with any of it, I would say that they are speaking as an employee and as such are just re-stating what they have been told to say during negotiations.

Anyone thinking of buying a new build now should make their starting offer at about 70% and not paying any more than 80%

If you don't actually need to buy but would at the right price for you, just offer that price and see who blinks first.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • Cazza
    Cazza Posts: 1,165 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Lessonlearned is right - not just telling you what the builders want you to hear. The area I get most of my business from is new build. If you go in with an offer 40% below the asking price you won't get anywhere - business is slow at the moment for builders, but it's not THAT bad! Some of the builders I work with had financial year ends in December, so my clients were getting 10-15% off the asking price. That was for those people reserving in the last four weeks, in a position to complete BEFORE Christmas. I have had new enquiries this weekend and the builders won't budge from a 3-5% discount. They will negotiate, but if you ask for 40%, they'll walk away.

Dolce vita, I can see exactly what you're saying, but the builder will find someone willing to pay the higher amounts. I wouldn't buy a new build (mainly because I personally like older houses!) but I don't know of any builder accepting such low offers in my part of the country!
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    Cazza wrote: »
    ........Dolce vita, I can see exactly what you're saying, but the builder will find someone willing to pay the higher amounts. I wouldn't buy a new build (mainly because I personally like older houses!) but I don't know of any builder accepting such low offers in my part of the country!

..........yet...........
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • beingjdc
    beingjdc Posts: 1,680 Forumite
    Options
    there are plenty of devlopments in the same area so I can shop around a little

That should be a warning sign in terms of the direction of prices (if, of course, that matters to you).
    Hurrah, now I have more thankings than postings, cheers everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure