PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

February 2013 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• liz-paul
    liz-paul Posts: 899 Forumite
    Thanks for the replies! At the risk of making myself sound like an utter minger I am not too squeamish about this sort of thing as long as I won't poison my family!! I've started out trying to make the rolls anyway & I reckon I'll use/throw out the rest of the flour this week and I'm about to clean out the cupboard it lives in just in case. Now I'm just worried the rolls won't work as I've never had much luck with bread!!!
    1% at a time no. 40. £8000 (For dream family holiday) 94/100
    MFW 2013 no. 62 £10,000/£10,000
    MFW 2014 no 62 £8000/£7000
  • fairyclicks
    fairyclicks Posts: 3,884
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Good Afternoon Everyone :wave:

I would love to join you guys please :) I have recently moved into my own place again after breaking up with partner and am now back in charge of the shopping budget :D. I have been trying to get my head around budgeting and keeping an eye on spends etc and think joining you guys would really help me with that. Last month i did one big shop and tried to make that last for the whole month and have only just needed to go shopping again today, so was pretty pleased with that :D I can't remember what i spent last month on that and the few little top ups i did mind you :o

I have just got my income sorted out so i now know what i have coming in. I did a bit of counting up and would like to aim for a grocery budget of £35 per week (which is a guess) so £140 for Feb - this should be plenty as its just me munching through it :)

I have just been shopping to stock up the freezer and cupboards as they were getting rather bare and spent £63.71 - more than i had planned but i did do a big meat shop which should last me ages which i hadn't planned on either ;)

Ok so i guess i just add that to my siggy now and try to not spend anything more :D
    Debt at Aug 2010 (LBM) £21,908.86, Debt Freeeeee Date 4th Nov 2013 :j:j:j Massive Thanks to the £10 per day thread :A Next goals:
    Savings £1203.16/£10,000******Mortgage to Zero: £52,579.46 to go
    Feb Earnings: £711.20/£500 March: £434.41/£500
    Currently compiling an A-Z of earning sites and happy to share it ;)
  • Just updating - did a decent shop in ald* £35.40 including my £5 voucher (I remembered :T) that's about 5 nights dinner for this week and stocked up on cereal and ss !
    Our kids now on half term here so didn't need pack lunch things. Just need to make sure I don't blow it on treats over the long weekend !

Signature updated.....
    . FEB GC £255.82£240 :mad::mad::mad:
    MAR GC 230.46/ £240 :T:T
    APRIL GC 237.84/ £230 :(:(:(
    MAY GC £296.10/£ 270 (5 week month !):mad:
  • liz-paul wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies! At the risk of making myself sound like an utter minger I am not too squeamish about this sort of thing as long as I won't poison my family!! I've started out trying to make the rolls anyway & I reckon I'll use/throw out the rest of the flour this week and I'm about to clean out the cupboard it lives in just in case. Now I'm just worried the rolls won't work as I've never had much luck with bread!!!

Just to add that I have seen weevils in some very old flour I had - you could see them easily with the naked eye, especially as they were moving a lot - yuk! Needless to say I did chuck that bag of flour! Sounds like a plan to get some fresh anyway if it was only a small bag - basics range flour is so cheap anyway.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Good Afternoon Everyone :wave:

I would love to join you guys please :) I have recently moved into my own place again after breaking up with partner and am now back in charge of the shopping budget :D. I have been trying to get my head around budgeting and keeping an eye on spends etc and think joining you guys would really help me with that. Last month i did one big shop and tried to make that last for the whole month and have only just needed to go shopping again today, so was pretty pleased with that :D I can't remember what i spent last month on that and the few little top ups i did mind you :o

I have just got my income sorted out so i now know what i have coming in. I did a bit of counting up and would like to aim for a grocery budget of £35 per week (which is a guess) so £140 for Feb - this should be plenty as its just me munching through it :)

I have just been shopping to stock up the freezer and cupboards as they were getting rather bare and spent £63.71 - more than i had planned but i did do a big meat shop which should last me ages which i hadn't planned on either ;)

Ok so i guess i just add that to my siggy now and try to not spend anything more :D

I think you will be fine on a budget of 35.00 a week and will even find that some weeks its no where near that.

You say you have just one a big meat shop, I think you will be suprise how long it will last.

I am on my own as well and find that y going to the market for fruit and veg and looking for whoopsies really keeps my spends down.

Good luck, it can be hard when you are recently alone but gets much better honest.
    Slimming World at target
  • mummyyof5
    mummyyof5 Posts: 1,839
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    NSD today..went to friends and she provided dinner so no spends there either...Sausage pasta for tea using left over cooked sausages from yesterday..LOs prefer it with hot dogs though:mad:

Twinks have just come out of the oven,had one while it was still warm,knowing my teens there will be none left by tonight

Need some things tomorrow so taking DS1 while Littlies are at school DD2 will pick up youngest from nursery for me :D..Need big tub of baking margarine and some chicken drumsticks to go with the reduced 80p chicken in the freezer:j...not sure what to do for tea tomorrow yet ..will have a think while I go bath myself and 2 littlies xx
    Feeding 6 Adults 1 Teen a 8 year old with hollow legs and a very fussy 5 year old. Also 3 cats and 3 fishies
    To include all Food,Toiletries and Petfood.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Managed another NSD today :j

Roast chicken for tea and the carcass is safely stashed in the freezer ready to make soup at the weekend.

Off to do a meal plan and a shopping list as I need to use my last Ald* voucher tomorrow.

PP xx
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • Hi all, I've not posted yet this week but have been keeping my total up to date.

Today has been my 1st NSD of the month so could be better!
    Spent £54.26 on Friday at MrA, MrM, LI*L & AL*I but got everyone including the dog well stocked up! DH did his usual sneaky LI*L raid on Saturday but managed to just spend £2.49 on bacon - he must be learning!
    Sunday I needed bread and potatoes for dinner so spent £5.80 in Booker on 12kg potatoes and 4 loaved of YS kingsmill bread at 20p each. I thought that would be the end of it but I went to the dentist in town on Monday morning and ended up getting some tea bags from Sainsbobs 38p and some dried fruits and nuts from the market for baking £2.85 - loads of stuff really good quality and really cheap!

Spent loads of time since Friday baking muffins, bread, sausage rolls, cookies etc so we have all eaten really well - wierd but the more I cook the more I want to cook!

Thats enough of an essay from me but at least I am now up to date!
    May GC 433.32/ 350 :eek: Apr GC 263.43 /300
    Mar GC 346.43 /350 Feb GC 248.01/300
    Jan GC 249.47/400
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,486
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Hi all,

3rd NSD on the trott:cool:

Dinner was gammon, mash, peas and cheese sauce - was yummy:T
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 6 February 2013 at 8:05PM
    Whoops! Had a bit of a miscalculation so ive added all the receipts up from the beginning. Spent 53p today on YS rice pudding, which, with a coupon cost 9p and 50p on YS peppers (good bargain as there were 4 in the pack, which were around £1.50. So if my calculations are now right i now have £19.87 to last me until 15th feb. I think i should be well on track, although i do need my posh coffee (which is on offer in Mr W.), toilet rolls, eggs, bread, milk and fruit next week which i will look around for the best bargains before i buy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure