The 'Save 12k in 2013' Thread!

Comments

• Twiggy_34
    Twiggy_34 Posts: 685 Forumite
    Nothing to report on my current savings, but did get some good news today as we've found a tenant for my late dad's house. They don't need it till the middle of May which means we can get the decorating etc finished up in good time for them. It's a little less than we had hoped we'd get (only by £50 pcm) but I figure that this is compensated for by knowing we already have tenants before it's even ready to let as we weren't even planning to advertise it until the decorating was finished and new carpets were down. Plus they're looking for a long term let (years) so it should also save us on lost income which might have occurred between other lets if we had found people that might have moved on quickly. :T
    £12k in 2019 #084 £3000/£3000
    £2 Savers Club 2019 #18 TOTAL:£394 (2013-2018 = £1542)
  • geoffers4
    geoffers4 Posts: 263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Bit of a blow to the March savings target today - final British Gas bill dropped through the letter-box this morning, as we're switching provider. £333.39!! AArgh! And that's just for the gas - still waiting to hear what their final bill will be for the electric. It's pretty much confirmed I'll never switch back to British Gas in the future!!
    Save 12k in 2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018-2019-2020-2021-2022 - then early-retired.
  • Been doing a lot of extra hours at work this week! So that should boost Aprils pay packet!!!

Can't wait till payday and to see the totals go up. Keep saving chaps
    House deposit £2800/£10000
    :j£7200 in 24 months = £300 a month:j
  • Off work today due to weather and lack of transport(long story, all sorted now though) so work tomorrow if weather is a bit better, crack onto hit £4,000 now £3,000 has been hit. I have a big bottle with change in it, there's some notes in it aswel, about half way up once it's filled the money will be going straight onto my total, really hope to fly on now and get into 5 figures, sooner rather than later!
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
  • BritAbroad
    BritAbroad Posts: 484 Forumite
    I'm a bit late to this party but could I join in anyway? I'm aiming to save $6000 (US dollars) by the end of the year. Currently sitting at approx. $1000.
  • girlatplay
    girlatplay Posts: 3,883 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    89p added today. Payday on Monday!
    Mortgage at 12/07/2022 = £175,000
    Mortgage today = £166,457.86
    300 282 payments to go.
    House buyout fund £3,261.67/£40,000
    Random Pick Fridays = £80.01
  • not been on this thread for a while as been too busy. I was spooked by the business in Cuprus at the weekend and the banks are still shut, makes a mockery of saving. I was considering a 'plan B' if this sort of thing happens here but I dont think it will as we can, as a country, print more money rather than rely on German bailouts, not ideal I know but at least our money will stay in our accounts!

I have decided to 'borrow' a bit of money from my one account mortgage to top up our ISAs for this financial year so this months update will be unrealistic but I will catch up when I pay myself back. I just dont want to miss out on the yearly allowance.

Things are getting more expensive thats for sure! We just forked out over £600 for new specs (varifocals) for the 2 of us and then the car needed new tyres, MOT, washer broke down so that cost £129 to get a new motor, car insurance was due, bught my student daughter a railcard for 3 years (£65) and general living costs gone up esp petrol. On the plus side I have been doing more hours at work so should get more at the end of the month, also wrote to tax office and they owe me! woohoo! that goes in at the end of the month too!

I am doing short term savings as well as this challenge but keeping them separate, xmas is £25 pm and saving for yearly expenses such as car things (tax, mot etc) and vet bills (I find it cheaper to 'self insure' the dog and have done for years. Also got a week away soon only inland but will be a chance to relax, just reading and general loafing about in a cottage together :)

Hope everyone is keeping it up and not letting the economy and general zombieness of Britain get to you, things will pick up one day and I am happy to be able to work part time and enjoy work without getting too stressed because of debt. I remember the days of having no money and loads of debt and after years of scrimping I'm now debt free and mortgage free and got a few quid put away. Hubby not 100% on the health front (work stress) so at least he is part time too as we can afford it. Its been a long road but one well worth travelling.

Good luck everyone, keep it up!
    Save £12k in 2012 no.49 £10,250/£12,000
    Save £12k in 2013 no.34 £11,800/£12,000
    'How much can you save' thread = £7,050
    Total=£29,100
    Mfi3 no. 88: Balance Jan '06 = £63,000. :mad:
    Balance 23.11.09 = £nil. :)
  • lippy1923
    lippy1923 Posts: 1,374 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I know what you mean, I was spooked by the Cyrus news as well. Would go absolutely ballistic if they took any of my money!:mad:

£180 in the pot for this month. ISA is maxed, so need to wait till April for any more cash contributions. I just brought my first ever purchase of gold. Only something small, a little sovereign. I have a safe in my house so it should be ok in there. I did it the money saving way, found a code online for free recorded delivery and did it through quidco, so will hopefully get cashback.

Got my car tax to pay this month and just found out the lovely council tax has gone up.... always a pleasure! Not sure what I will have left after that but roll on the new financial year!
    Total Mortgage OP £61,000
    Outstanding Mortgage £27,971
    Emergency Fund £62,100
    I AM NOW MORTGAGE NEUTRAL!!!! <<Sep-20>>

• allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The Cyprus thing made me wonder if my Granny was right to store all her savings under the mattress!!

I am really pleased how my savings are going this year and find the support on this thread motivating. I actually feel like a proper 'grown up' having an emergency fund!
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • Desperate housewife that sounds like you have done well getting into a position you are not living payday to payday. I am hoping to pay off half our small mortgage off as soon as we can, without penalty. We are both only 21 and took on mortgage late last year. In my line of work(physical more than mental) it takes it's toll and its not attractive seeing the older members of the profession(most seem to have worked themselves into the ground) as they cannot afford to call it a day or even go part time before its too late.

I would like part time at 45ish if possible and just run my own business from then on, taking on any work I wish to, to supplement income as opposed to answering to someone for a 50 hour week 48 weeks a year.

There's many self made millionaires going to be made in the next decade as the value of the pound drops/it becomes worth less due to inflation. I hope to join this elite allowing me to go part time when I wish too.
    :eek:Living frugally at 24 :beer:
    Increase net worth £30k in 2016 : http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=69797771#post69797771
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure