Advice needed: Don't like my new work and would like to go back to old company

Hi all,

I recently joined a new company and I am not feeling easy about this new job. It's a small company compared to a bigger one I used to work for.

I joined the company to grow and learn more except the company is so small and they are a bit unorganised. I suppose this is natural for a small company, however I constantly get thoughts on going back to my old company.

I am getting paid more, but in return more of my money is going into travel so it doesn't make that much of a difference. On the plus side there is less travel to different locations. And I am doing different things at work which I never got to do at my old work place.

I guess I just hate the fact that it's a small company, they are not very organised, there is no pensions or benefits, and working long hours seems common.

I would like to return to my old company however I want to go into a new role and not my old role. I am not sure if it's a good thing telling my old manager these feelings about how uneasy I feel about my new work place and that I would like to comeback.

My old manager and me are in good terms and I feel really stuck in some way with these feelings and want to talk to someone.

Can anyone give me sound advice on what to do?

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    If you are on good terms with your old manager there is no harm in letting him/her know that you think you have made a mistake and would love to rejoin them if the opportunity arose.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Speak to them. Completely different, I run a small haulage company and from time to time a driver leaves and they pretty much all want to come back at some point.

Occasionally there's one you don't want back, but most of the time if there's work they can come back, far easier to take someone you know back on than a new employee.

If you left on good terms, ring them, have a chat and see what comes up.
  • InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Also give the new place enough time. The New is always scary and you feel like a fish out of water compared to the familiar of your old job. It takes time to find your feet, build up the company specific knowledge etc.

Personally I like having diversity of role and its a good way to either take your career in a new direction or reconfirm that your in the area you want to be in. Similarly a broader range of experience can look good on your CV for future roles if someone is looking for people that are a bit of a hybrid of different roles or at least experience of other areas than your core.
  • Zyx
    Zyx Posts: 64 Forumite
    I don't agree with others as waiting means that the old manager will have to get through more trouble to get you back. If you discuss this with him as soon as possible chances are good he can get you back but as it is not only up to him I doubt it. Most companies don't want leavers back as they think they'll just leave again when they get the idea that another company is nicer to work for.
    Just talk to him and see what happens but as I said I doubt it. You should have analysed and asked about everything beforehand including additional costs which would make the increase in pay less material.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Seems like you are unhappy with things you already knew about, the company was small when you had your interview, you accepted a job offer without benefits .

Maybe think about why you wanted to leave the old job. It had too much travelling to other locations, it didn't offer any variety - if you go back those things won't have changed.

How long have you been in the new job ? I always think it takes three months to settle into a new job and a different company culture.

I get the impression you left hoping you'd be asked to stay and thought that might lead to you getting the chance to change your role .

Going back to the same role - nothing changes - except you'll be regarded as less loyal than before - however keeping up with people in your old company whilst you improve your CV with the new skills the new company are giving you -and letting them know you'd be open to applying for roles that reflect your broader experience might be a more profitable longer strategy.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • LiveOnce wrote: »

I would like to return to my old company however I want to go into a new role and not my old role. I am not sure if it's a good thing telling my old manager these feelings about how uneasy I feel about my new work place and that I would like to comeback.

My old manager and me are in good terms and I feel really stuck in some way with these feelings and want to talk to someone.

Can anyone give me sound advice on what to do?

Would this 'new' role be available? if this wasn't your opposition before what will have changed?

I've no idea how long you give a job as I tend to go more with gut and initial reaction, as I remember someone saying if you aren't happy, you are the only who can change it so it's definitely a hard one, I'll now have had an employer pre-pay to a certain point so that gave me time to think as thoughts come and go xx
  • dancingfairy
    dancingfairy Posts: 9,069 Forumite
    I'd agree with what Duchy said. Is it a case of the grass is always greener? Would you genuinely be better going back to your old company or will the same old problems still be there?
    Only you know whether you really aren't going to be happy where you are now and have made a mistake or whether you're just looking back through rose tinted spectacles.
    Perhaps neither job is quite right, maybe this job isn't right but another new job might work out better (assuming you now have a better idea of what suits you and you don't rush into anything).
    df
    Making my money go further with MSE :j
    How much can I save in 2012 challenge
    75/1200 :eek:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business