Risky purchase

I am looking to buy a new smart TV and happened to come across a website called Planet H D based in London selling a Sony KDL50W829BBU50 50" LED Smart TV for the knock down price of £449.

Cheapest online competitor that I managed to find was charging £579 for the same 50" Sony TV.
Immediately thought what a great bargain and phoned Planet H D to make my purchase but the automated answering service told me no one in Customer Services could take my call. So I decided to purchase online but when it came to the payment details the only method of payment was by BACS transfer.

There is a notice on the website to say that BACS payments only have been introduced due to an increase in fraudulent transactions and that other methods of payment will be accepted from early June.

Needless to say I did not go ahead with the purchase but I am very interested to know more about Planet H D and if anyone has had any dealings with them or whether this is another online scam ??????

Fergie

Comments

• lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Run away! You would be mad to part with that sum of money via a method that gives you no means of protection.

The website is registered to an individual rather than a business and was only registered 2 weeks ago - http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois/lookup?query=planethd.co.uk

It might be a legitimate company just starting up but they haven't done themselves any favours in trying to look professional!
  • Thanks for your reply.

I had no intentions of parting with my hard earned cash with absolutely no security and hope others don't fall for this scam.

The site looks genuine enough apart from the terms of payment and the fact the 'sale' ends soon.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    The address does appear to be a commercial building and the website doesn't have a lot of the hallmarks of a typical overseas scam site. I'm wondering if it might be a new start up business, but if it is they need to sort a few things out to make themselves look more trustworthy.
  • I, like yourself, have just come upon this site after looking for a new TV. Again, too good to be true sprung to mind. But it got me thinking. I'm sure Currys /PC world do price match. Is it worth using this to get a good deal there?
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    dogman1443 wrote: »
    I, like yourself, have just come upon this site after looking for a new TV. Again, too good to be true sprung to mind. But it got me thinking. I'm sure Currys /PC world do price match. Is it worth using this to get a good deal there?

They won't price match it with the OP's company unfortunately according to there t&c's

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/price-promise-1023-theme.htmlWe won’t be beaten on price
    We offer much more than just great prices, but we don’t want price to be a reason you shop elsewhere.

If you find Argos, Asda, John Lewis, Tesco or AO.com has the same product at a cheaper price, we’ll match it - even up to 7 days after purchase.

All you need to do is make a note of the product number, its price and the competitor you want us to match. We will verify and match the price there and then for you. To benefit by phone, call 0344 561 0000 or if you have already made a purchase in store, please revisit one of our branches.

When you call us, we can reserve the item for collection at your local store or arrange delivery to your home – whatever suits you best!

Price promise terms and conditions

We'll match our competitor’s store or website UK price.
    The competitor’s product must be brand new, identical to ours, and offered on the same terms.
    We and the competitor must have stock ready for delivery.
    We must be able to verify the competitor’s price and stock position.
    We’ll match the price of a product; not delivery charges or other services.
    Cannot be used with any other offer
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    In their terms "We’re sorry that in most circumstances it’s not possible to make changes to your order once you’ve placed it." often suggests some sort of drop shipping so they are just taking orders and then placing the order with another supplier.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • sillygoose
    sillygoose Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    lovinituk wrote: »
    Run away! You would be mad to part with that sum of money via a method that gives you no means of protection.

The website is registered to an individual rather than a business and was only registered 2 weeks ago - http://www.nominet.org.uk/whois/lookup?query=planethd.co.uk

It might be a legitimate company just starting up but they haven't done themselves any favours in trying to look professional!

An individual in a suburban house in Rugby who doesn't appear to be a web design company (who you might expect if its a 3rd party created site to hold the registration) and the Planet HD premises claim to be in London.

Plus a 5 year free guarantee on all TV's.

Very dubious.
    European for 3 weeks in August, the rest of the year only British and proud.
  • JJ1974_2
    JJ1974_2 Posts: 24 Forumite
    Sounds hugely dubious to me.
  • Shils1
    Shils1 Posts: 1 Newbie
    To all of you that did not buy from them well done. My father in law did and guess what he lost his money and received nothing. Anyone considering please don't they are a scam.
  • Dlm_2
    Dlm_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    Unfortunately i ordered new tv no amount of phone calls or emails stimulated a responce. Wish i had not parted with any money as i had paid by bacs. Dont think i will see any money returned. Would appreciate any advice on how to report fraud.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure