Old Packaged Bank Account - How do I find out Details?

Hi there, New to these forums, although I've been receiving Martins emails for years now.
I opened a bank account with the Royal Bank of Scotland many years ago (not entirely sure of dates) but approx 1998-2000.
The account was most definitely misold, I can clearly remember the member of staff advising me that I would need to open this Package account in order to get the best rate for a car loan that I was applying for.
I kept the account open for the lifetime of the loan 4 or 5 years, I cant remember, then when the loan was paid, closed the account, because I had always begrudged the monthly payment.
My problem is, that I separated from my ex husband back in 2007 and i', pretty sure that any remaining paperwork from that account will be long gone.
I've heard that banks will only keep account info for so long, and I fear that I've missed the boat with re-claiming as we are looking at 10 years at least since account was closed.
Can anyone advise me whether I have any chance of finding this information
Many Thanks

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The account was most definitely misold, I can clearly remember the member of staff advising me that I would need to open this Package account in order to get the best rate for a car loan that I was applying for.

So, how was that missold?
    A lot of packaged bank accounts gave more favourable lending terms. That is allowed and is not a mis-sale.

Why have you not complained before this? Using the timebar rules you have 6 years from point of sale and 3 years from being reasonably aware of an issue to raise a complaint. It was more than 6 years ago and you closed the account more than 3 years ago. So, the timebar can be applied.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Thanks,
    What I meant to convey in initial post was that the member of staff was advising me that opening the account was the only way I'd get the loan, you may be right, this may not have been misold?
    The reason I didn't complain before this is that I've only just become aware that packaged bank charges could be claimed as well as PPI.
    I had a feeling it was way too long ago, but thought I'd check.
    Thanks for info
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    It most likely was mis-sold (telling you that you must have a in order to have b where it wasn't always the case is the most common reason cited for packaged account mis-sales), but sadly it's now too late from the dates provided. 6 years from the date of knowledge is the longest you have for any civil claims.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Mersey wrote: »
    It most likely was mis-sold (telling you that you must have a in order to have b where it wasn't always the case is the most common reason cited for packaged account mis-sales), but sadly it's now too late from the dates provided. 6 years from the date of knowledge is the longest you have for any civil claims.

OP states the bank offered a packaged account that would give preferential loan rates for a car loan she wanted through them. She could have rejected it and gone for a higher APR loan. Nobody has a clear recollection of an event that happened approaching 20 years ago, being told that this account was a good way to get the best deal could just as easily been the bank being helpful as the OP clearly benefited from this account with reduced rate so it was not "most likely" anything.

Doing some digging around MSE, someone was offered an RBS loan in 2007 at 9.9% APR, their Royalties Gold offer was 6.7%. Saving 3.2% APR for 4-5 years outweighs the £96 a year charge - on say a £10,000 loan over 48 months, you pay £12053.90 back at 9.9%, or £11383.76 at 6.7% - a saving of £670.14 with packaged fees of £384 or £286.14 overall
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    geor110177 wrote: »
    What I meant to convey in initial post was that the member of staff was advising me that opening the account was the only way I'd get the loan

This was what the OP said.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    geor110177 wrote: »
    I can clearly remember the member of staff advising me that I would need to open this Package account in order to get the best rate for a car loan
    This is also what the OP said. :)
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,767 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 26 April 2017 at 7:09PM
    Mersey wrote: »
    This was what the OP said.

As MI has quoted to show you, the OP was told that the way to get the best loan was to open this account. As it was approaching 20 years ago it is not surprising the OP has 2 different recollections of the incident

As it is, if the offer with the premium account was factual (and OP has presented no evidence that it was not i.e. they could have got the loan without the account) then the bank staff member was telling the truth and the loan would be cheapest with the account offering preferential rates. Based on anecdotal evidence from MSE posters, the different rates on offer prove the bank member was telling the truth. Incidentally I read on the CAG forum that you only had to have the account for 6 months to retain the offer so OP should perhaps have read the terms and cancelled after this
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure