PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• Another £20.70 over the weekend, bringing the total so far to £76.32/£200, quite high but stocks were really depleted.
    This included £12.50 for a 25kg sack of spuds that'll last 2 or 3 weeks.
  • elsiepac
    elsiepac Posts: 2,553 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 March 2017 at 3:22PM
    I also do thisin its own packets and just defrost on a plate and then squeeze all the water out. I keep meaning to flour it before frying next time, as this apparently really crisps it up also. My favourite brand at the moment if Tofoo.

I was excited when I discovered Tofoo in Tesc0 and bought the oriental and indian packs of cubes. Sadly I wasn't impressed with either, and they were very expensive for the amount. I did give both a second chance a few weeks ago but they were the same so I guess this is the norm. I just couldn't get them to crisp up and there was a really weird bland taste to them. I've not tried the plain block they do - I usually stick with Cauldron for price!
    I get my nooch on subscribe and save but I m stocked up at the mo. Will restock though next time from H and B being as it works out cheaper.

Only when it's buy one get one half price though..!

Popped into M&S yesterday as it was the only place still open that would do a single potato that I needed for my minestrone soup for the week! (I used all my rooty potatoes for potato and leek soup at the weekend and forgot to save one!). I bought 2 potatoes and they came to £1.07!! I feel I should have just bought a bag for £2.50 or whatever it was! Anyway, one went further than I thought so I have a spare.

I need to pop to shops tomorrow for a garlic or 2 (can't believe I have run out - never happens!), and a bag of watercress for Weds tea with mum. I also am now desperate for hand soap, but may be able to eke the watered down remains out till Thursday for my proper shop.

Dinner last night was a new recipe I tried - very nice indeed and a bit different!

Pineapple rum beans on coconut-lime sweet potato mash. I like lots of veg with my meals so I had kalettes, broccoli, green beans and courgette with it. I have my leftovers for tonight.

IMG_4809.jpg

I also batch cooked my favourite minestrone recipe for my lunches this week - I love this soup, it's perfect for lunches! I didn't eat the first portion for tea like I usually do so I froze it for another day.

IMG_4806.jpg

I also did all my food prep for the week - chopped all my veggies up! It saves me so much time in the week and when I'm tired and don't feel like cooking, it means the longest part of it is already done, so I eat properly instead of going for something ready made like pies!!

Feeling quite down today as I have a vet appointment for one of my rats - she has bad tumours and she is declining fast. I am fairly sure what is going to happen tonight but am dreading it. I love her so much, same as a dog (which people can't understand), and her poor sister will be left alone too.

To end this post on a higher note, my mum got me a chilli plant kit for my birthday - against all odds (I'm death for plants!) the seeds have sprouted! Soon I have to remove all but one to grow into a big plant! Quite excited!

IMG_4799.jpg

Date.......Shop......Amount.....Remaining (from £120 budget)
    24 Feb.....M&S.......£03.10.....£116.90
    24 Feb.....A1d1......£08.27.....£108.63
    24 Feb.....T35c0.....£53.56.....£55.07
    25 Feb.....H&B.......£04.93.....£50.14
    25 Feb.....T35c0.....£00.93.....£49.21
    27 Feb.....T35c0.....£06.60.....£42.61
    2 Mar......A1d1......£08.23.....£34.38
    2 Mar.....T35c0.....£15.40.....£18.98
    5 Mar......M&S.......£01.07.....£17.91
    6 Mar......Tesc0.....£01.00.....£16.91

Edited to add a loaf of bread bought at lunchtime as I've run totally out and won't have time to make more tonight.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Old Style, Crafting and Techie Stuff boards.If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    GC: May 22 £tbc/£250 Vegan 27-8-13
  • Flat_Eric
    Flat_Eric Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    The poor weather has kept me out of the shops this lunchtime which means my lunch has stayed the same well actually it ended up being something I found in my desk drawer so now I have salad to last me until Thursday. I was tempted to buy a sandwich deal so £3.35 saved. Also I decided to give up chocolate for lent. Today is the first day where if I'd had chocolate on me, I'd have eaten it. So I was almost tempted to do a chocolate run.... that's £2.40 saved.

I've not planned properly for this week but do have an idea of what I'm going to be having (in my head - nothing written down) but this might change or get tweaked. There might be the odd spend I hadn't allowed for but hopefully I can keep it to a minimum.
  • Coxy11
    Coxy11 Posts: 4,864 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Hi all,
    Sorry, bit late to the party this month. Budgets updated to here :)
    Good luck all - especially the new joiners.
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP: Durene Jones Haberdashery Shop 365 1p challenge member No.6 Read 24 books in 2024 - currently reading The Various Haunts of Men by Susan Hill 1/24
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I hit the supermarket today as we'd run out of cereal and tinned toms and I only bought those things! The penny seems to have finally dropped for me and I didn't feel like I should be stocking up on loads of things just because I was there. I just bought what we'd run out of and spent £6.37.

£16.68/£100
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Wow Elsiepac - that pineapple rum beans stuff looks delicious. I'm dribbling onto my keyboard!
  • Thanks coxy!

Went to the shops today instead of Wednesday, but it turns out I can't give blood on Wednesday because of my cold anyway. It came to £24.08 today, including buying the Easter egg offer. If I don't get them quick here I don't get the one DS likes. It's done now and tucked away. We don't go crazy and thankfully neither do my parents. Some kids seem to get dozens of eggs and it's all a bit much. I got some green jelly for his birthday party too. Nice bit of alien slime!

£61.89 March total so far! Bit alarming that it's so high, I just have to remember that it's because I've shopped early and we're covered until next Wednesday, the 15th, if we stick to plan! We're normally under budget so I shan't panicked yet!
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    Another £20.70 over the weekend, bringing the total so far to £76.32/£200, quite high but stocks were really depleted.
    This included £12.50 for a 25kg sack of spuds that'll last 2 or 3 weeks.

25kilo??? wow! that's a HUGE sack of spuds. the one I buy I think is 7.5 kilo and that lasts a month. saying that we eat lots of pasta and rice
  • Starlighthappiness
    Starlighthappiness Posts: 70 Forumite
    edited 6 March 2017 at 5:56PM
    Could I belatedly join? My aim this month is to eat all the food in my freezer and spend less then £120 on food in March. I think I'll be able to bring the monthly amount I spend down further but want to give myself a realistic first goal :)

Food spend so far in March £30.19/£120
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 477 Forumite
    well, my massive morries shop came to £43.15 so I didn't stray much from what id priced up online. as expected dad's coffee cos £12 but that should last him nearly 2 months.

what I wasn't planning on tho was todays text message from him with a list of shoppings he needs!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure