Unplanned overdraft charges

Looking for some advice on claiming charges back as im at my wits end with them constantly eating out of my money and putting me behind with bills and landing me in debt.
This month they have sent me a letter stating they are charging me £60 =
Unplanned overdraft fees £45
Returned DD fees £10
O/D usage fee 5.00

Im constantly being charged, this has gone on for a long time is now putting me into debt which is making it a struggle as we have 2 young children

any advice on claiming charges back would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Surely the problem is you taking unauthorised overdrafts? i.e. taking money from the bank which isn't yours
  • hanm666 wrote: »
    Looking for some advice on claiming charges back as im at my wits end with them constantly eating out of my money and putting me behind with bills and landing me in debt.
    This month they have sent me a letter stating they are charging me £60 =
    Unplanned overdraft fees £45
    Returned DD fees £10
    O/D usage fee 5.00

Im constantly being charged, this has gone on for a long time is now putting me into debt which is making it a struggle as we have 2 young children

any advice on claiming charges back would be greatly appreciated
    Hello Hanm666
    All the advice you need is on the MSE website. Have a look and see if you are a genuine hardship case (study the ombudsman hardship criteria). If so write to the bank and outline your hardship and claim refund. Be mindful however that they are not obliged to refund anything.

If no hardship you'll have to bite the bullet, go in and speak to the manager to see if they can do anything to help. They should be able to offer some advice if you are struggling. If you don't tell them they won't know.

Lots of elasticated money advice on MSE forums too. Have a look round. I'm still finding new, useful threads. Good luck
  • hanm666
    hanm666 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Surely the problem is you taking unauthorised overdrafts? i.e. taking money from the bank which isn't yours

I havent withdrawn money that i do not have, as far as i can see the ' unplanned overdraft' charge is from when they had charged me £5 or so and there was not enough money in the account when they took it so it sent me into the 'unplanned overdraft' and i couldnt afford to get the balance back to zero at the time so they have charged me £45 for that and the £10 DD charge if from a bill that there wasnt sufficient money in there for at the time so it wasnt paid but they charge me for them not paying it, i do try to keep on top of it all but when it comes to paying a £5 bank charge or using my last money to buy something that the children need such as milk formula, nappies etc, the children have to come first.

I have the text service to tell me my balance etc but its not always accurate as it tells me the balance at the time of the text but DD may not come out until later in the day. Whenever i do go overdrawn i try to pay it back in the same day but i cannot always afford to.
    Hello Hanm666
    All the advice you need is on the MSE website. Have a look and see if you are a genuine hardship case (study the ombudsman hardship criteria). If so write to the bank and outline your hardship and claim refund. Be mindful however that they are not obliged to refund anything.

If no hardship you'll have to bite the bullet, go in and speak to the manager to see if they can do anything to help. They should be able to offer some advice if you are struggling. If you don't tell them they won't know.

Lots of elasticated money advice on MSE forums too. Have a look round. I'm still finding new, useful threads. Good luck
    The last time i spoke to the bank about these charges i stated that i do not want a overdraft facility planned / unplanned, mainly because i would rather a bill go unpaid that time (and pay it manually another time) than recieve expensive charges that set me back even further.

I know claiming the charges wont help in the short term as it can be a long process but it would help.

Is it best to open another account with a different bank when reclaiming ? im not too sure where to start but im ging to have a read through and try to make sense of it.
    Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport