Do PayPal payments earn Amex cashback?

MiM
MiM Posts: 658 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi all! I'm hoping to make an expensive and sparkly purchase to an American company.

They only take bank wire transfer or PayPal. I've just got the Amex card paying 5% cashback at this point.

Can I use the card to make the PayPal payment and if so do I get the 5% back?

Many thanks for any advice.

Comments

• JohalaReewi
    JohalaReewi Posts: 2,614 Forumite
    AFAIK, all Amex purchases are eligible for cashback including USD ones. Note that Paypal charge all transactions to AMEX in USD but if you are buying in USD to start with, this won't be a problem for you. There will be the usual 2.73% commission charged by Amex to convert USD to GBP on your account.
  • MiM
    MiM Posts: 658 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Great stuff, means it's still worth doing for 2.something profit - many thanks.
  • mentat72
    mentat72 Posts: 305 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So using a Morgan Stanley card would also earn cashback in this way?

I was using my Amex, but being charged for the conversion I switched to the MS card instead and did it thr:Tough Quidco too..
    Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy - Spike Milligan.
  • JohalaReewi
    Should do. Paypal transactions are usually purchases to credit card companies and so should be eligible for cashback.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,609 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I was using my Amex, but being charged for the conversion

If you are buying in £s then the conversion charges should be refunded (ring AMEX if not).

If you are buying in $ and in the Amex introductory period then cashback is still pretty good at 5%-2.73% = 2.27%.
  • JohalaReewi
    lisyloo wrote: »
    If you are buying in £s then the conversion charges should be refunded (ring AMEX if not).

If you are buying in $ and in the Amex introductory period then cashback is still pretty good at 5%-2.73% = 2.27%.

Slightly better than that in theory. You get cashback on the GBP amount on your account which includes the 2.73% commision so you should get 5% of that back too.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 2,175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    MiM wrote: »
    an expensive and sparkly purchase to an American company.

They only take bank wire transfer or PayPal.

Is their salesman's name George Adgdgdgwngo? (Google it)

But seriously - doesn't it sound a bit dodgy they only take wire transfer or Paypal?

Would've thought a reputable american company will take amex... or at least visa/mastercard...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure