Why is 'Timing' the market bad ?

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 19 March 2017 at 9:03PM
    This bull market in the US started eight years ago and the S&P was up 249% by its anniversary. One thing we can't be is at the start. It's already the second longest and the longest lasted less than a year longer, with none so far lasting longer than ten years.

The FTSE has had some bull market breaking drops, though I suspect that quite a lot of people wouldn't count the less than one day drop in early 2016 as breaking a bull run.

It's still entirely possible for there to be a long bull run. It's just not likely. But unlikely isn't impossible.

Personally, with me making more than 10% nominal a year on P2P and the UK market historic average being a bit over 5% plus inflation it's not a particularly tough decision to cut equity holdings.
  • economic
    economic Posts: 3,002 Forumite
    jamesd wrote: »
    This bull market in the US started eight years ago and the S&P was up 249% by its anniversary. One thing we can't be is at the start. It's already the second longest and the longest lasted less than a year longer, with none so far lasting longer than ten years.

its irrelevant to look at things like this. the market is always different. what drove the market in the past is different to what is driving it now.

remain long US and worldwide stocks. add on corrections/crashes.
  • jamesd
    There are always differences in causes.

I'm not going to short the major markets at the moment but observing that the biggest have PE10s suggesting negative or minimally positive returns is useful.
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Directly held P2P loans is what I'm using and normally suggesting instead of bonds at the moment, and of course what I've been doing myself as well as writing about it here for quite a while now. Returns likely to be above the long term equity average at the moment but without the equity exposure. The security is often buildings so that's something to be aware of and manage exposure to.

Have some P2P loans but that is part of my "cash pot" as opposed to part of the pension pots.
  • grey_gym_sock
    grey_gym_sock Posts: 4,508 Forumite
    it is all very well saying everything looks expensive, but il faut parier - i.e. you have to hold something. if you think everything except cash looks expensive, then hold cash - simples! (and in effect, your opinion is that cash looks cheap.) but i'm guessing that's not what most people posting in this thread think.

most posters aren't mentioning alternatives. jamesd has mentioned (selective use of) p2p as a possible alternative to holding equities. the basic idea of perhaps getting 10% returns - if defaults don't go through the roof - does compare favourably to average historical returns from equities (of perhaps inflation + 5%). personally, i think i'd find that too much effort to do it properly - i.e. to go for those higher returns while keeping a very careful eye on the risks (of individual loans, and of platforms). i know there are "hands off" p2p options, but they pay lower rates, and may not be worth the risk.

however, i think the idea of swapping bonds for p2p is misleading. that ought to increase expected returns, because it's increasing the risk! p2p is more like equities in risk (though the returns come in a different way - mostly steady interest, with occasional - and probably clustered - defaults).

coming back to equities today, there is a big difference from selling equities because they've gone up a lot or because the bull market has run for so many years (those are bad reasons, IMHO) and selling because valuations are extremely high (that's a better reason, IMHO).

and most equity markets are not currently at very extreme valuations. perhaps a little high, but not extremely. and selling when valuations are a little high is a poor strategy, because they can remain high for many years, and go even higher, before eventually crashing down again. and meanwhile, you miss out on many years of equity return (from dividends, and earnings growth). so if you go to cash, it's not a great strategy. (but if you have a plan to go to p2p, where returns might be as good as equities anyway, that may be different.)

shiller (who has a much better record as forecaster than hussman) is not currently calling a bubble in shares. nor in bonds.

shiller's PE10 measure makes US equities currently look a little, but not very, expensive. some care should be taken with this measure, however. it has spent most of the last 25 years saying that US equities look at least a bit expensive. there are a few technical reasons why the PE10 should be higher recently (viz. accounting changes, and more share buy-backs). and as i already explained, that equities are slightly expensive is not always useful information.

now, if you're not thinking of getting out of equities, but of switching some of your US equities allocation to parts of the world where equities seem cheaper, then IMHO that's more reasonable. it may be the wrong move. US equities may be more highly valued for good reasons: because their economy is stronger. i certainly wouldn't avoid investing the US altogether. but varying the proportions a bit won't do you too much harm (or good).
  • jamesd
    edited 20 March 2017 at 5:35AM
    P2P is perhaps lower risk than bonds, certainly lower than equities because it's generally secured lending or backed by a protection fund or both. It largely lacks the capital loss potential due to interest rate rises. A sample of some I have or had, simple (no compounding) interest rates before allowing for bad debt:

1. £30k at 19% to a car flipper featured in a TV series, secured on the cars. Ended last summer.
    2. £10k at 16% for a holiday park development in Scotland, secured on the land and building that will remain. Guarantee by the loan intermediary to cover shortfalls after security sale.
    3. £10k at 14% for a two storey Portacabin building at Pinewood studios that is doing long term renovation, secured on the building and rental stream from Pinewood.
    4. £5k at 14% to a claims management company for postal marketing, secured on land. Guarantee by the loan intermediary to cover shortfalls after security sale.
    5. Circa £25k at 12% to a car HP seller, secured on the HP payments and, if the borrower defaults and the seller also fails, on the cars. Seller takes the day to day credit risk, swapping out defaulted loans as long as they don't fail.
    6. Circa £23k at 12% to an invoice finance firm, secured on the goods, ultimate buyer and 90% credit insurance or letter of credit from UK bank.
    7. Several tens of k at about 16% (there's a profit share component) to a firm importing and reselling or leasing containers, secured on the containers.

Those tend to be at the higher risk end of what I'll lend on. I tend not to hold to the end of the loan term, that's when the default risk is highest. At the moment it's easy enough to sell though that's not guaranteed.

The only default I've seen on that sort of stuff was to another container importing firm where the individual behind it seems to have committed several crimes. Their personal assets, including their home, are now at stake, being subject to an order from the High Court. I'd sold most of this before the default. Much easier to steal and sell containers than buildings or land.

A fair bit of more banal property bridging loans as well as a range of other stuff. Usually I avoid property development loans, too much chance of those being slow to sell or having completion trouble in a residential or commercial downturn.
  • jamesd
    edited 20 March 2017 at 6:23AM
    shiller (who has a much better record as forecaster than hussman) is not currently calling a bubble in shares. nor in bonds.
    14 March 2017, "ROBERT SHILLER: 'This market is way overpriced'", referring to the US equity markets. "Its most recent reading on Monday was 29.24, a level not seen since the early 2000s when the internet bubble was leaking." It's currently higher than it's ever been except for the internet bubble and around 1929's Black Tuesday. "He did not forecast a short-term decline in stocks, but told Bloomberg that he wasn't buying more." He said he was now buying outside the US in places with more favourable valuations.

'Shiller says when markets are as buoyant as they are now, resisting the urge to pile in is hard regardless of what else might be happening in society. “I was tempted to do it, too,” he says. “Trump keeps talking about a new spirit for America and so you could (A) believe that or (B) you could believe that other investors believe that.”' Click on the picture of Trump to watch the interview where he discusses both psychological Trump rise factors and the long term issues, while advising most investors to keep some in the equity market but not go overboard. He mentioned both bonds and equities as over-funded in the same sentence. Yet he also observed that in the short term there could be a repeat of the rise from 1997 and described the situation as very uncertain.

That didn't use the magic word bubble but way overpriced for both US bonds and US equities is a pretty good alternative phrase.

As you can see from my other posts in this discussion I might well do some short term speculation on a US Trump-related rise in spite of the poor long term context. But that'd be deliberate short term momentum-following speculation, not a long term position.

If you want to see places that were cheap on 21 Feb there's a handy world map here. Relatively cheap included the UK and most of Europe. Plenty of alternative opportunities to stay in equities at lower prices, if desired.
  • Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 20 March 2017 at 8:21AM
    SteveG787 wrote: »
    Like many people I have made a pretty good gain in my funds over the last few years and have been looking at ways of protecting that gain when the market inevitably turns. On this forum and in other places people say 'Timing the Market' is a "bad" thing, but I am not sure why. As a former engineer my method would be a simple mechanical buy and sell process applied to each fund, if it drops from its top price by more than say 10% then sell, when it rises more than a similar amount above it's low price then buy.
    As far as I can see the only problem with this would be if the market turned just after I'd bought or sold in which case I would be left behind and catching up would cost more money.
    Obviously this would cost money while in cash and if catching up is required, but I am starting in the position of already being well ahead of the curve (about 40% gain in 3 years).
    The intention of this is to protect capital while holding on to much of the gain already made.

Please poke holes and rip to shreds. I realise this is more than likely a bad thing but I'm not seeing it.

Wow 40% gain over three years is quite something. I aim for 6% p.a. lol.

I'm not sure what you mean by "timing the market".

If we look at the statistics of for example the FTSE (note "example") we can see a series of bulls and bears and also a series of more marked booms and busts, what we simplify as "recessions" which do appear to happen regularly. But I really don't think that can be accurately timed to the effect that it would dictate the best time to buy and/or sell.

A current favourite topic amongst financial analysts particularly on breakfast tv is that in consideration of past performance we are overdue for a recession. I agree and that was the reason I moved my capital to funds and kept quite a large sum in instant access cash so I can make pots of cash when the market rises after the fall. But I'm not really sure when that recession will happen if at all. All I can say is I'm prepared for it which is I admit is kind of like a communist waiting for the Proletarian Revolution.
    http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/25/a-recession-is-overdue-heres-what-will-trigger-it-commentary.html

With stocks and shares we similarly look at past performance and look for patterns. For example if a share always falls back when it reaches a certain percentage gain and then after that makes more gains we then have a reasonable idea of when to sell and when to buy. But that's not timing it.

Personally, I avoid like the plague blind investing. That is investing in something I haven't researched. Most of the time I'm successful but not all the time: If anyone is successful all the time then they are a better man (or woman) than I am Gunga Din!
  • Anthorn wrote: »
    A current favourite topic amongst financial analysts particularly on breakfast tv is that in consideration of past performance we are overdue for a recession. I agree and that was the reason I moved my capital to funds and kept quite a large sum in instant access cash so I can make pots of cash when the market rises after the fall. But I'm not really sure when that recession will happen if at all.

This has been said before, many times, but prior to the last recesssion people were saying the same thing for years. Had you bailed out then, you would have missed huge gains even allowing for the crash. Of course if you need to preserve the value of your holdings, at the expense of possible future growth, then you are making the right decision.
  • EdGasket
    EdGasket Posts: 3,503 Forumite

There was a 20 yr bull run from 1980 to 2000 (crash 87 but recovered)

This link (previously posted) suggests we are poised for another similar breakout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_E503hMQP1M&feature=youtu.be&t=9m20s
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport