Pensions untouched in the Budget

Options

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    michaels wrote: »
    Nope, tradition os leader of opposition responds to budget speech not shadow chancellor. It is a thankless task without prior knowledge so normally they have had the speech writers prepare some good jokes to catch the soundbite headlines.

The opposition receives the budget beforehand. Therefore has time to draft a response to the key points.
  • westv
    westv Posts: 6,084 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So I was right when I said 30/10

"I don't envisage any changes to:-
    TFLS
    Tax relief
    Nil NI on retirement income
    Tax relief of pension contributions"

Although such a statement was pretty obvious though.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    peterg1965 wrote: »
    Knock me down with a feather. Just read the Budget text and the only change appears to be the uprating of LTA to £1,030,000, in line for CPI.

Great news and a 'feel good' budget I think.

With investment returns historically greater than the CPI rate of inflation. The LTA over time will regress and therefore continue to raise additional tax revenue/ cap the contributions that people are able to make. There's more than one way of skinning a cat.
  • stoozie1
    stoozie1 Posts: 656 Forumite
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    The LTA over time will regress and therefore continue to raise additional tax revenue/ cap the contributions that people are able to make.

But in such a way as to not affect the relative standard of living as the person drawing on the fund though?
    Save 12 k in 2018 challenge member #79
    Target 2018: 24k Jan 2018- £560 April £2670
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,023 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    “ Or they would slap a huge annual admin charge onto all cards, thus penalising those of us who always pay off our credit card bills in full every month.
    by Silvertabby
    No, that wouldn't be allowed - you'd still be paying back more than you borrowed. Posted by Malthusian

Then unless the credit card providers become charities (unlikely) the only other way for them to make money - to pay their staff, etc, etc, - would be to increase the credit card levy charged to the supplier, not the customer/borrower. That would mean at least a 5% increase on all goods. Wonderful.
  • peterg1965
    peterg1965 Posts: 2,153 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Corbyn seemed to be having another of his "election" mode rants rather than a constructive rebutal of the budget. Assume McDonnell was intentionally sidelined.

Not so sure Marxist Mcdonnell was sidelined, Budget protocol in Parliament is that the Leader of the Oppostion responds to the Budget Statement. I think, could be wrong, that there is a debate tomorrow on the Budget in the HoC, Comrade Mcdonnell speaks at that.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    With investment returns historically greater than the CPI rate of inflation. The LTA over time will regress and therefore continue to raise additional tax revenue/ cap the contributions that people are able to make. There's more than one way of skinning a cat.

I don’t think it will raise any more tax.
    The vast majority will simply retire early.
    The unintended consequences are losing experienced GPS, consultants and Dentists.

If my investments do well and I have to retire a year or so early I’d be delighted. I can’t see who the winners are really. With very low unemployment it’s not as if we need to release the positions to younger people.
  • stephennt
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    Yes I heard that and wondered how he thought it might work.

Negative BoE rates to try to prop up the economy :D
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    marlot wrote: »
    Yes I heard that and wondered how he thought it might work.

"thought" isn't a Corbyn activity.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    lisyloo wrote: »
    I don’t think it will raise any more tax.
    The vast majority will simply retire early.
    The unintended consequences are losing experienced GPS, consultants and Dentists.

If my investments do well and I have to retire a year or so early I’d be delighted. I can’t see who the winners are really. With very low unemployment it’s not as if we need to release the positions to younger people.

The unemployment figures are low, under employment isn't.

As you've specifically raised medics then we're still training far fewer than we need to maintain or ideally increase provision, still importing large numbers to make up the shortfall.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure