New Halifax Overdraft Charges

Comments

• Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have a slightly different problem regarding this. I bank with Halifax, and don't like overdrafts, so I never accept any overdraft facility on my accounts BUT for the last month or so, Halifax have been almost spamming me to try to get me to;
    1. Take out an overdraft with them (don't know why - I never go into the red, ever).
    2. Do a BT to their credit card (again, I have no CC debt).
    Any tips to make them SHUT UP?
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Puddylove wrote: »
    I have a slightly different problem regarding this. I bank with Halifax, and don't like overdrafts, so I never accept any overdraft facility on my accounts BUT for the last month or so, Halifax have been almost spamming me to try to get me to;
    1. Take out an overdraft with them (don't know why - I never go into the red, ever).
    2. Do a BT to their credit card (again, I have no CC debt).
    Any tips to make them SHUT UP?
    Click 'Your Profile'.
    Click 'Change your marketing preferences'.
  • Puddylove
    Puddylove Posts: 507 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Click 'Your Profile'.
    Click 'Change your marketing preferences'.

Done, thank you.

It seems my late dad was right - banks only want to lend money to people who don't need it.
  • cjmillsnun
    cjmillsnun Posts: 615 Forumite
    With good reason. They want to know they'll get it back... They got burned through their own stupidity 10 years ago.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
  • wizzywig27
    wizzywig27 Posts: 1,536 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    For those that are interested the guy from exec complaints called me back, basically he said wait for my letter (!!!!!!). He wasn't very helpful and he said that only two options are valid to me (even though he had all five letters in front of him). Bizarrely he didn't know what each code meant.

Anyway even though I haven't had my letter he told me my options could be:

1) a loan - which would involve a credit check - well funny enough when I check my eligibility it's a no - so that isn't a option

And

2) 50% off fees until February 2018 - so basically I still end up paying more than I am now

He ended up hanging up on my 'as we were going around in circles'

At a loss now really. He pretty much said if I ain't happy apply for credit elsewhere and move banks - great approach the lending their Halifax - Howard would be ashamed!
  • Makeachange
    Makeachange Posts: 962 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 21 August 2017 at 5:16PM
    I got my letter and It is going to screw me right over as i struggle with the charges some months anyway!!! now its given me the kick i need to get out of it asap!!
    I WILL GET THERE.
  • wizzywig27
    Yup, when I told him it was disgusting he said we will have to agree to disagree. Others on here don't agree with me but it's disgusting that they are happy to treat customers like this.
  • Jeems
    Jeems Posts: 202 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Well...they are a business in which case they can choose who they wish to do business with. As harsh as that may sound. Whats stopping you from applying elsewhere?
  • wizzywig27
    Jeems wrote: »
    Well...they are a business in which case they can choose who they wish to do business with. As harsh as that may sound. Whats stopping you from applying elsewhere?

My credit history lol. Utilising a lot of my available credit I'm afraid :(
  • wizzywig27 wrote: »
    Anyway even though I haven't had my letter he told me my options could be:

1) a loan - which would involve a credit check - well funny enough when I check my eligibility it's a no - so that isn't a option

And

2) 50% off fees until February 2018 - so basically I still end up paying more than I am now

He ended up hanging up on my 'as we were going around in circles'

At a loss now really. He pretty much said if I ain't happy apply for credit elsewhere and move banks - great approach the lending their Halifax - Howard would be ashamed!

To be fair, Howard has moved on to Hotels now!! :rotfl: lol. But really Wizzy, this should be the best motivation for you to sort out the borrowing and get yourself out of any hole you may be in. I think Halifax have out lived their 'fabulousness' now, far away from the good old reward accounts of yesteryear.

Take care and all the best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport