Go Skippy Car insurance

Comments

• Splatt
    Splatt Posts: 12 Forumite
    I've had emails from distant Nigerian relatives who need to deposit 60 billion into my bank account that make more sense than GoSkippy.

If only I'd done my due diligence and found this thread first.

My story echoes a few on here, I sent in the requested documents although they needed them translated into English by a sworn translator, stamped and signed. Even though the document was already in English.

They seem to have hit on the ingenious business model of selling a service they can't provide and then charging you for the inconvenience.
    Be wary of my next venture: Moon Trips! When someone books and pays I will send them an email to say 'Trip cancelled', and then refund their payment - minus an admin fee.

Lesson learned.
    Steve.
  • Wish we had read this thread before insuring my nephew's car with Go Skippy. He is 20 and car insurance at that age generally costs more than the car itself so he was pleased when the Go Skippy quote undercut his existing insurers by some £800. He went through the details over the phone and then had to email photocopies of his driving licence and evidence of No Claim Bonus. Fair enough...... except we then got a flurry of conflicting emails, all of which had his name misspelled. 'Thankyou for your documents which we have now authenticated' was followed by 'please send evidence of No Claims Bonus' and then 'If you do not send copy of driving licence within 7 days, we will start cancellation process which will incur a £75 charge'.
    I rang them. I was 24 in the queue and I can confirm that there's only so many times you can hear the Skippy the Bush Kangaroo theme tune before you want to scream.
    I put the phone down and emailed them instead, pointing out the name was incorrect and thoughtfully providing our phone number so they could contact us. Got an email by return..... saying they would respond within 48 hours. In the meantime, we got another email saying they were adjusting the premium because my nephew hadn't provided proof of no claim bonus. A letter arrived in the post on the same day, saying they had started the cancellation process.
    I emailed again, asking for clarification and also pointing out that they were still spelling our surname incorrectly. We are talking a very common surname, by the way, nothing tricky.
    We then had an email saying as they had not heard from us in 21 days and we had not provided the documents they had asked for, the policy would be cancelled.
    Yesterday, we had a letter saying that they had identified a 'material discrepancy in the information that was disclosed by you'. They had taken the liberty of 'amending your Policy records accordingly, which has resulted in an additional premium of £1000, inclusive of a £50 administration fee'.
    They advise us that it is imperative to make contact urgently. Surname still not correct but that's the least of our worries. We will be saying Go Away Skippy!
  • Splatt
    Splatt Posts: 12 Forumite
    In the interests of balance I thought I'd update with my progress.

After several email exchanges, which frankly, went nowhere, I decided to try a telephone call and email to find out the formal complaints procedure.
    I sent the email and then dialled the number, lo and behold I was speaking to a wallaby after only 5 minutes of kangeroo music.

I asked for the complaints address so I could formally request a final decision before asking the ombudsman to investigate.

The bush baby then placed me on hold while she spoke to a supervisor.

After another 5 minutes she returned to say that all my documents were in order and my policy documents would be in the post that afternoon.

Ombudsman, the word strikes more fear than a redback spider!
    Steve.
  • I had a years car insurance at a competitive price, but when the renewal came through it had almost doubled even with an additional years no claims bonus. I called then up and told them I would not be taking them up on the renewal as I had cheaper quotes elswhere. They still sent out renewal documents that stated no cover would be put in place if I failed to sign and return the form within 7 days. I posted them back with a reminder noting I did not wish to renew. I cancelled my direct debit with them and they proceeded to attemt to extract the first premium, Then they threated the use of debt collectors to recover the cost of the first installment. This is behaviour I would expect from a scam and not a reputable insurance company (is there such a thing?)
    Any way as far as I can tell I had valid insurance for the year, but would have been stung big style if I accepted the renewal quote.
    When you want to cancel, get as many references from them as possible and fully expect them to continue with there direct debit extractions. If the quotes are pretty close, I would go for the next cheapest, once bitten twice shy, go skippy, go rip off someone else
  • I insured with Go Skippy last November, had a letter off them yesterday saying my insurance will be automatically renewed. My insurance last year was £490, the renewal is £690 or £850 if I want to pay monthly, this includes a £250 finders fee.

Sent an email straight away saying will definitely not be renewing.
    I have enough money to last me the rest of my life,as long as I die next Tuesday.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    AJG384521 wrote: »
    I insured with Go Skippy last November, had a letter off them yesterday saying my insurance will be automatically renewed. My insurance last year was £490, the renewal is £690 or £850 if I want to pay monthly, this includes a £250 finders fee.

Sent an email straight away saying will definitely not be renewing.
    Given the other people's experiences in this thread I would send a letter via special delivery just so you can prove it was sent!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • rainbowfairydust
    rainbowfairydust Posts: 16,389 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 5 November 2014 at 11:35AM
    I bought my first car back in September , and found goskippy through moneysupermarket.com & was quoted £650 (TPFT - my car isnt worth much in the grand scheme of things) for the year which i thought was a good price for a first timer ( i should also point out i am 35 which may account for some of the reduction in cost).

Other quotes were in the region of £2k plus - i just dont have that kind of money to shell out in one go (and the monthly payments would have crippled me) so i plumped for goskippy (i didnt read any reviews & if i am honest i probably would have taken the risk anyway) anyhow i promptly paid my first months deposit whereby i received an email within 15 minutes confirming payment & advising i would be in receipt of the email documentation within 48 hours.

The next morning i received an email asking me to forward copies of my driving licence which i scanned & emailed back (i should also say this IS pointed out as a requirement when buying the policy ). I received an automated response thanking me for the documents & confirming i would hear back from them in 7 days. I also want to point out it states in the initial email that the policy WILL be cancelled if the licence copies hasnt been received within 14 days.

The following morning i received a further email from goskippy containing all my policy documentation, along with an email regarding setting up my account with gocreation.co.uk (i think?) - the set up of this account was simple.

I also received a phone call from goskippy around a fortnight later confirming all my policy details and checking that there had been no issues.

To date i havent made a claim from them but going off the initial setting up of the policy i have faith that should something happen i would find the claim process straight forward enough.

ETA.. Going off a few of the posts made (not all ) it would seem that by reading the text on each screen (confirming what is required of the policy holder) would be of benefit. It reads to me that people see "woo cheap " , whizz through the process & then read the information once everything has been confirmed.
    Sleazy wrote: »
    I like RainbowFairyDust .....

RFD for president .... Ra! Ra! Ra! :j

Undergrad degree - completed 2018
    Masters degree - completed 2019
  • Splatt wrote: »
    I've had emails from distant Nigerian relatives who need to deposit 60 billion into my bank account that make more sense than GoSkippy.

Lesson learned.
    Steve.

You not far off , im investigating one of there staff for submitting a fraudulent insurance claim .

One of there call centers is here in South Africa .6 Zenith Dr
    Umhlanga,(-29.722235, 31.062998) ,Durban and trade as Outworx. They use their real first names but have fake surnames

I would be very carefull giving them any personal info
  • they are an absolute scam they asked me to send documents and got charged £110 because my d o b was wrong by 1 year and than when the insurance came through it had been raised by £400 that's what they do didn't read the reviews beforehand and now I have been slapped by another £75 cancellation fee as well as cover for the week I have been with them. rip off merchants stay away by all means and it takes on average 40 mins on the phone to get through to them I called them twice which the call centre is in south Africa at 15 p a min.
  • I bought my first car back in September , and found goskippy through moneysupermarket.com & was quoted £650 (TPFT - my car isnt worth much in the grand scheme of things) for the year which i thought was a good price for a first timer ( i should also point out i am 35 which may account for some of the reduction in cost).

Other quotes were in the region of £2k plus - i just dont have that kind of money to shell out in one go (and the monthly payments would have crippled me) so i plumped for goskippy (i didnt read any reviews & if i am honest i probably would have taken the risk anyway) anyhow i promptly paid my first months deposit whereby i received an email within 15 minutes confirming payment & advising i would be in receipt of the email documentation within 48 hours.

The next morning i received an email asking me to forward copies of my driving licence which i scanned & emailed back (i should also say this IS pointed out as a requirement when buying the policy ). I received an automated response thanking me for the documents & confirming i would hear back from them in 7 days. I also want to point out it states in the initial email that the policy WILL be cancelled if the licence copies hasnt been received within 14 days.

The following morning i received a further email from goskippy containing all my policy documentation, along with an email regarding setting up my account with gocreation.co.uk (i think?) - the set up of this account was simple.

I also received a phone call from goskippy around a fortnight later confirming all my policy details and checking that there had been no issues.

To date i havent made a claim from them but going off the initial setting up of the policy i have faith that should something happen i would find the claim process straight forward enough.

ETA.. Going off a few of the posts made (not all ) it would seem that by reading the text on each screen (confirming what is required of the policy holder) would be of benefit. It reads to me that people see "woo cheap " , whizz through the process & then read the information once everything has been confirmed.

Not in my case. I read the policy booklet, then when I tried to cancel I got hit with an admin fee of £75 - which was hidden on their 'terms of business' section of their site. Should they not point this out? especially for a cheap policy costing a few hundred, £75 is a large chuck of money for pressing a few buttons on a computer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure